Can Dial Direct charge me?

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5796 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

CAN DIAL DIRECT CHARGE ME?

On the 27th April 2008 I purchased my car insurance from the Post Office as this was the best price available to me.

On the 1st May I received a e-mail thanking me for renewing my insurance which I had not agreed to, so I telephoned DIAL DIRECT to query it and confirm that I had not bought it. I was told that they had sent me a renewal earlier in the month telling me that I did not contact them it would automatically renew I DID NOT RECEIVE THIS LETTER !:-x I was then told I would have to pay a cancellation fee of £20 even though I had not received the letter, I apposed this and asked to speak to someone in higher authority. They told me there was nobody available and that somebody would ring me up the next day, nobody rang. I was very cross and annoyed that I could be charged £20 for something that I had not bought and that you could just put in my credit card details and take out money which you were not even authorized too.

6th May I telephoned them again and spoke to them and it was agreed I would get a full refund when they received these following documents. Their insurance certificate they sent and a copy of my currant certificate to prove that I had bought insurance before theirs started. I sent them out to them via recorded post.

I then received the money back -£20 FEE can they do this?:mad:

Any suggestions, thanks

Hi and welcome to cag :-)

Spend sometime familiarising yourself with the site. Make sure you read the site rules and the FAQ's.

A couple of useful links are the How do I guide to the forum and the A to Z Index

I will see about getting you post moved to the appropriate forum for you

saint :-)

What was the renewal date for the policy with dial direct?

If you called up and cancelled it within the first 14 days (which it looks like you have) then no they cant charge you a cancellation fee as you get a 14 day "cooling off period" under FSA regulations in which to cancel an insurance policy for any reason at all (providing no claim is made)

If they've already agreed to give you a full refund then they i would say that they would have to give you the £20 back as well.

Write in to their customer relations department and make a formal complaint and insist that they give you a refund for the cancellation charge or you will escalate this to the FSA.

Let us know how you get on

DA

• Haha 1

If you find the advice I give is useful, then please feel free to click the scales :)

"It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt" :)