Insurance threatening court action

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5815 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi there,i had an accident last year in my car as i was hit by another driver.It wasn't my fault and as i had to pay my excess of £250 i got a cheque through the post after the claim from my insurance company,a few weeks later i got another cheque in the post for £250.I now have a letter from them saying i have recieved letters from them demanding £250 as i was paid my excess twice and if i don't pay them they will pass it on to their solicitors and i will then have a detrimental affect on my credit rating.

Can they take me to court over this or is it a case of tough luck,you shouldn't have paid me twice and its now over a year ago.

I'm no longer insured with them as the claim was a farce from the beginning and i'm no longer with them because of that.

Or should i just pay them to keep my name clean?

Any advice anyone?

Yes, you should return the money to its rightful owner. If someone pays you money by accident, they are allowed to recover it once they realise their mistake. Ideally, you should have returned it voluntarily as soon as they sent you the second payment but I know not everyone would do that.

It's not worth you damaging your credit rating by trying to keep hold of the money and if they took you to court they would win anyway.

I can understand you being annoyed if there was a long delay in sorting out the claim. Maybe you could try complaining about that separately - they might compensate you for it, if the claim cost you money.

I agree, if your issue is with the claims process then make a formal complaint and see how you get on, although if its over a year ago then you may have a bit of an uphill struggle.

Keeping money that you weren't entitled to would only have ended up causing you hassle so you did the right thing by returning it.

DA

If you find the advice I give is useful, then please feel free to click the scales :)

"It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt" :)