Exchanging Irish Licence for UK licence

PPC Buster
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5800 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I want to exchange my Irish licence for a UK one. I have been in the UK a year now and I got busted for speeding last month. Problem is I will have to go to court unless I can get a UK licence soon.

Now when I send off the Irish Licence with my passport as proof of identity is that it? Is that all they need? I have been told horror stories of the DVLA demanding secondary id and proof of address. Is that really the case?

Cheers

John

Hello John

If you are staying in the UK for more than 12 months (from date of first entry) you need to exchange your Irish licence for a UK licence. You can apply on form D1 which is obtainable at any post office.

If you want or need to change your driving licence for a GB driving licence, you must complete the application form D1 that is available from the Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency (DVLA) form ordering service and Post Office branches.

You will need to enclose original documentation confirming your identity and a passport style colour photograph. Send your completed application and the appropriate fee to DVLA, Swansea, SA99 1BT.

There is more information here:

Exchanging your foreign driving licence : Directgov - Motoring

And the fees required here:

The cost of a driving licence : Directgov - Motoring

Uk

Edited by ukaviator

WARNING TO ALL

Please be aware of acting on advice given by PM .Anyone can make mistakes and if advice is given on the main forum people can see it to correct it ,if given privately then no one can see it to correct it. Please also be aware of giving your personal details to strangers

They've really tightened up on identity checks, not just for licenced but V5 (Vehicle Registration) documentation too, primarily to cut down on 'M. Mouse' registered keepers which makes a mockery of trying to take them to court for some infraction when they don't exist!

• Haha 1