Patricia Pearl - Small Claims Procedure - A Practical Guide

An excellent guide for the layperson in how to use the County Court - a must if you are intending to start a claim.

£19.99 + £1.50 (P&P)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3
1 2 3 LastLast
    Basic Account Holder trapper Novitiate

Follow Real_CAG on Twitter

Cagger since
    Feb 2007

Default Consent Order..........advice needed!

My wife and I are heavily in debt. We have arranged a debt managementicon plan (dmpicon), where we pay our creditors on a monthly pro-rata basis.

Occasionaly, a creditor takes thing a stage further and threaten Court action to gain a Judgement. So far, so good, we have no CCJ's, thanks to this excellent forum.

However, one of our creditors started the process of a CCJ. We went through the motions of DPA & CCA, etc. Eventually, they came up with a copy of the original agreement, plus a list of all charges, etc.

A date was set for Court. Doom & Gloom prevailed!! However, in the post came an offer of a Consent Order. They will agree to £1/mth and drop the Judgement.

As we are already paying them £1/mth through the DMP, is there there a hidden trap by signing the Consent Order? Or, is this a CCJ without security.

Does a Consent Order get validated by the Court? Is it legally binding?

All my web searches for Consent Order's return info on divorceicon, personal breakups , etc.

After looking over all options, it would seem safe to sign the Consent Order, but another opinion would be much appreciated.

Similar Threads:

Classic Account Holder
    Help the CAG!!
    Make a contribution
    Hopeful1 Authoritative Hopeful1 Authoritative Hopeful1 Authoritative Hopeful1 Authoritative Hopeful1 Authoritative Hopeful1 Authoritative Hopeful1 Authoritative Hopeful1 Authoritative Hopeful1 Authoritative Hopeful1's Avatar

Cagger since
    May 2007
    I am in
    Not far away.

Default Re: Consent Order..........advice needed!

Are they asking you to give consent for a voluntary charging order? I have received one of these in the past from Weightmans.

I wouldn't rush to sign anything without further advice.

Is it possible you could scan and post up the letter (omit personal details) or at least type up the main body of it?

Also, are you paying for your dmpicon? There are several recognised, free organisations who can offer the same, if not better support.

Have a look at this link: http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk...ml#post1374472

I'm midway through the tunnel, but getting closer to the light.

Please be aware that i am not an expert in anything!
    I may offer an opinion, but the final decision is yours.
    Follows
    Following

Classic Account Holder
    Help the CAG!!
    Make a contribution
    gh2008 Authoritative gh2008 Authoritative gh2008 Authoritative gh2008 Authoritative gh2008 Authoritative gh2008 Authoritative gh2008 Authoritative gh2008 Authoritative gh2008 Authoritative gh2008 Authoritative gh2008 Authoritative gh2008's Avatar

Cagger since
    Jan 2008
    I am in
    decisive - well, at least I think I am

Hi trapper,

I would seriously consider making an appointment at your local CAB, or talk to your dmpicon people or even go and get a free consultation at a local solicitors (many of them do a free 15/30 mins initial session).

& separate to the above, have you had the CCA checked out? is it even enforceable?

Good luck
    gh

If you find my advice helpful - please click on my scales
    <<<<<< - they're over there!
    Well, it's a funny black star now ...

The small print - any advice I give is freely given on the understanding that I am a layman and am not legally qualified in anyway.
    Follows
    Following

Cagger since
    Feb 2007

As requested, copies of letter proposing the Consent Order, and the Order itself. As you can see, CL Finance propose reducing the amount outstanding and ask for £1.00/mth under the Order, and will drop the CCJ. We are already paying this amount to CL under our dmpicon.
    (Quoted figures have been altered)
    Seems like a strange move! Any suggestions?

without prejudiceicon

Dear XXX
    Re: CL Finance Limited -Yourself
    county courticon Claim No: xxx
    small claimsicon Hearing xxx
    Balance to date: £ 1500
    We refer to the above matter.
    In particular we refer to the small claims hearing due to take place on the xxx 2008.
    In an effort to bring this matter to a satisfactory conclusion, our client is prepared to accept payment of £950 by instalments of £ 1.00 per month, subject to a Consent Order which will avoid the entry of a county court judgment being registered against you.
    We therefore enclose three copies of a Consent Order for your consideration. If you agree to the terms upon the Consent Order please sign all three copies and return them to this office immediately.
    We apologise for any inconvenience and look forward to receiving your reply.
    Yours sincerely
    Howard Cohen & Co

.....and the Consent Order:

In The XXX County Court
    Claim Number. XXX
    Between:CL Finance Limited Claimant
    And: XXX Defendant
    Before an Officer of the Court
    BY CONSENT
    I . The parties having agreed the terms of settlement in the schedule attached hereto, all further proceedings in this
    action be stayed save for the purposes of carrying into effect the terms in schedule hereto.
    2. There be no order as to costs
    3. Liberty to apply.
    SCHEDULE
    The Defendant do pay the Claimant the sum of £XXX by instalments of £1.00 per month commencing one month from the date of this order.
    Signed (Solicitors for) Claimant

Signed (Solicitors for) Defendant
    Dated: XXX 2008

Follows
    Following

Cagger since
    Feb 2007

One further question to my previous post: If CL Finance/Howard Cohan were taking us to court for a CCJ (we have received SARicon, etc), why would they change their mind and seek a Consent Order??

Also, what are the implications with agreeing to a CO?

Gold Account Holder
    Help the CAG!!
    Download our toolbar
    creditcardmug Authoritative creditcardmug Authoritative creditcardmug Authoritative creditcardmug Authoritative creditcardmug Authoritative creditcardmug Authoritative creditcardmug Authoritative creditcardmug Authoritative creditcardmug Authoritative creditcardmug Authoritative creditcardmug Authoritative creditcardmug's Avatar

Cagger since
    Dec 2007
    I am in
    Somewhere in UK where it rains all the time

I haven't heard of a consent order, but i would be interested to know what it is exactly and what the implications might be, i hope others come forward with their views,
    However i cant help smelling a rat here, if you have filed a defence, has it scared them off, are they trying to avoid a discontinuance.
    I dont know, anyone else???

Classic Account Holder
    Help the CAG!!
    Make a contribution
    Hopeful1 Authoritative Hopeful1 Authoritative Hopeful1 Authoritative Hopeful1 Authoritative Hopeful1 Authoritative Hopeful1 Authoritative Hopeful1 Authoritative Hopeful1 Authoritative Hopeful1 Authoritative Hopeful1's Avatar

Cagger since
    May 2007
    I am in
    Not far away.

I've posted your link somewhere else to ask others to look. Sit tight, i will check tomorrow to see if you've received more help

I'm midway through the tunnel, but getting closer to the light.

Please be aware that i am not an expert in anything!
    I may offer an opinion, but the final decision is yours.
    Follows
    Following

Platinum Account Holder
    Help the CAG!!
    Make a donation
    gizmo111 Authoritative gizmo111 Authoritative gizmo111 Authoritative gizmo111 Authoritative gizmo111 Authoritative gizmo111 Authoritative gizmo111 Authoritative gizmo111 Authoritative gizmo111 Authoritative gizmo111 Authoritative gizmo111 Authoritative

Cagger since
    Jun 2006

What defence have you submitted to the original claim?

Consumer Health Forums - where you can discuss any health or relationship matters.
    Follows
    Following

Royalties Account Holder
    Help the CAG!!
    Download our toolbar
    Michael Browne Highly authoritative Michael Browne Highly authoritative Michael Browne Highly authoritative Michael Browne Highly authoritative Michael Browne Highly authoritative Michael Browne Highly authoritative Michael Browne Highly authoritative Michael Browne Highly authoritative Michael Browne Highly authoritative Michael Browne Highly authoritative Michael Browne Highly authoritative

Cagger since
    Apr 2006

Does a Consent Order get validated by the Court? Is it legally binding?
    Yes to both. Consent Orders are used where both parties have come to an agreement prior to the hearing

Not sure about:
    3. Liberty to apply.

and exactly what the implications are, especially as Howard Cohen are involved, since their modus operandi is usually more rotweiller mode than this

Failing further advice by anyone else, I would phone the National Debtline on
    0808 808 4000

Platinum Account Holder
    Help the CAG!!
    Make a donation
    gizmo111 Authoritative gizmo111 Authoritative gizmo111 Authoritative gizmo111 Authoritative gizmo111 Authoritative gizmo111 Authoritative gizmo111 Authoritative gizmo111 Authoritative gizmo111 Authoritative gizmo111 Authoritative gizmo111 Authoritative

Cagger since
    Jun 2006

The parties having agreed the terms of settlement in the schedule attached hereto, all further proceedings in this
    action be stayed save for the purposes of carrying into effect the terms in schedule hereto.
    What is in the schedule?

Consumer Health Forums - where you can discuss any health or relationship matters.
    Follows
    Following

Royalties Account Holder
    Help the CAG!!
    Download our toolbar
    Michael Browne Highly authoritative Michael Browne Highly authoritative Michael Browne Highly authoritative Michael Browne Highly authoritative Michael Browne Highly authoritative Michael Browne Highly authoritative Michael Browne Highly authoritative Michael Browne Highly authoritative Michael Browne Highly authoritative Michael Browne Highly authoritative Michael Browne Highly authoritative

Cagger since
    Apr 2006

See bottom of Trapper's post:
    SCHEDULE
    The Defendant do pay the Claimant the sum of £XXX by instalments of £1.00 per month commencing one month from the date of this order.
    Signed (Solicitors for) Claimant

Signed (Solicitors for) Defendant
    Dated: XXX 2008

Platinum Account Holder
    Help the CAG!!
    Make a donation

Cagger since
    Jun 2006

Missed that, thanks Micheal.

Follows
    Following

Basic Account Holder The Lantana Novitiate The Lantana Novitiate The Lantana's Avatar

Cagger since
    Feb 2007
    I am in
    the sunshine!

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Browne View Post

Not sure about:
    3. Liberty to apply.
    I understand this means both parties would be free to make applications to the court, in the future.

Regards

Lantana

Gold Account Holder
    Help the CAG!!
    Download our toolbar
    Goldlady Authoritative Goldlady Authoritative Goldlady Authoritative Goldlady Authoritative Goldlady Authoritative Goldlady Authoritative Goldlady Authoritative Goldlady Authoritative Goldlady Authoritative Goldlady Authoritative Goldlady Authoritative Goldlady's Avatar

Cagger since
    Jul 2006
    I am in
    Tyneside

I had one of those from CL Finance and I wrote back and told them no. I wasn't sure at the time if it meant I would still get a judgement so I wasn't taking any chances. They have taken me to court over an unenforceable agreement, they issued the proceedings before I was notified that the debt had been assigned to them, and I have never received a default notice. I have literally five minutes ago faxed a four page defence to the court.

My thread is here:

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk...ml#post1523363

Not sure if you can do anything at this stage, but CL Finance seem to be a bit trigger happy with the court claims IMO.

BANK CHARGES
    Nat West Bus Acct £1750 reclaim - WON

LTSB Bus Acct £1650 charges w/o against o/s balance - WON

Halifax Pers Acct £1650 charges taken from benefits - WON

Others

GE Money sec loan - £1900 in charges - settlement agreed
    GE Money sec loan - ERC of £2.5K valid for 15 years - on standby
    FirstPlus - missold PPI of £20K for friends - WON
    Follows
    Following

Classic Account Holder
    Help the CAG!!
    Make a contribution
    gh2008 Authoritative gh2008 Authoritative gh2008 Authoritative gh2008 Authoritative gh2008 Authoritative gh2008 Authoritative gh2008 Authoritative gh2008 Authoritative gh2008 Authoritative gh2008 Authoritative gh2008 Authoritative gh2008's Avatar

Cagger since
    Jan 2008
    I am in

Just thinking aloud here -
    is the original agreement actually enforceable?
    if you agree to the consent order could they then apply to increase payments later (or sooner!!)
    by agreeing to a consent order are you therefore accepting the debt???

What I am trying to get at is whether the OC is being lured into admitting an unenforceable debt - then the DCAicon will apply for higher payments or a CCJ & enforcement nasties
    IMHO I can't see why anyone would formally accept 950 monthly repayments of £1 - doesn't make sense to me
    but by the order you are admitting you will repay that amount even though the original agreement may be unenforceable, and you'll not get out of that 'new' debt of £950

Sorry for rambling

The small print - any advice I give is freely given on the understanding that I am a layman and am not legally qualified in anyway.
    Follows
    Following

Site Team citizenB Highly authoritative citizenB Highly authoritative citizenB Highly authoritative citizenB Highly authoritative citizenB Highly authoritative citizenB Highly authoritative citizenB Highly authoritative citizenB Highly authoritative citizenB Highly authoritative citizenB Highly authoritative citizenB Highly authoritative citizenB's Avatar

Cagger since
    Dec 2007
    I am in
    Back of beyond

subscribing. This sounds very dodgy and I would be wary of signing something without knowing the implications.

Please consider making a small donation to help keep this site running
    Click here to donate through PayPal (opens in a new window)

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE
    2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries
    3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here
    4: Staying Calm About Debt Read Here
    5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you
    3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules
    4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly
    5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE
    Follows
    Following

Site Team citizenB Highly authoritative citizenB Highly authoritative citizenB Highly authoritative citizenB Highly authoritative citizenB Highly authoritative citizenB Highly authoritative citizenB Highly authoritative citizenB Highly authoritative citizenB Highly authoritative citizenB Highly authoritative citizenB Highly authoritative citizenB's Avatar

Cagger since
    Dec 2007
    I am in
    Back of beyond

I did some googling It looks as though Consent orders are used mainly in divorceicon cases where a maintenance order has been agreed. However the consent order allows the 'claimant' to go back to court at any time should the other person default. What I dont understand, is that you already have an agreement in place via a third party to pay what they are now asking you to sign up to?

I hijacked this paragraph from somewhere.

"Though not everyone calls it "Tomlin Order," there does seem to be merit to this consent order. The terms of settlement are incorporated into a schedule which is attached to a consent court order. That will be drafted by one of the party's solicitors and agreed by the other. The effect of the Order is to stay the action indefinitely whilst the defendant complies with the terms of settlement. If he defaults at any time you can return to court and apply for judgment for the balance outstanding. There would be no defence because he had consented to the settlement. If he fulfills his part of the bargin that is the end of the matter. "

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

BCOBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE
    Follows
    Following

Gold Account Holder
    Help the CAG!!
    Download our toolbar
    Goldlady Authoritative Goldlady Authoritative Goldlady Authoritative Goldlady Authoritative Goldlady Authoritative Goldlady Authoritative Goldlady Authoritative Goldlady Authoritative Goldlady Authoritative Goldlady Authoritative Goldlady Authoritative Goldlady's Avatar

Cagger since
    Jul 2006
    I am in
    Tyneside

It occurs to me that perhaps CL Finance/Cohens have had their wrists slapped for issuing blanket court claims and have realised that in your situation you already have an agreement in place and that if it goes to court they could be in trouble for wasting the court's time. Whilst I am sure you can keep to the proposed agreement if you do sign it I do think it is something that could turn into a judgement if you were to default

BANK CHARGES
    Nat West Bus Acct £1750 reclaim - WON

LTSB Bus Acct £1650 charges w/o against o/s balance - WON

Halifax Pers Acct £1650 charges taken from benefits - WON

Others

GE Money sec loan - £1900 in charges - settlement agreed
    GE Money sec loan - ERC of £2.5K valid for 15 years - on standby
    FirstPlus - missold PPI of £20K for friends - WON
    Follows
    Following

Classic Account Holder
    Help the CAG!!
    Make a contribution

Cagger since
    Jan 2008
    I am in

Quote Originally Posted by citizenB View Post
    I did some googling It looks as though Consent orders are used mainly in divorceicon cases where a maintenance order has been agreed. However the consent order allows the 'claimant' to go back to court at any time should the other person default. What I dont understand, is that you already have an agreement in place via a third party to pay what they are now asking you to sign up to?

I hijacked this paragraph from somewhere.

"Though not everyone calls it "Tomlin Order," there does seem to be merit to this consent order. The terms of settlement are incorporated into a schedule which is attached to a consent court order. That will be drafted by one of the party's solicitors and agreed by the other. The effect of the Order is to stay the action indefinitely whilst the defendant complies with the terms of settlement. If he defaults at any time you can return to court and apply for judgment for the balance outstanding. There would be no defence because he had consented to the settlement. If he fulfills his part of the bargin that is the end of the matter. "
    I think that sort of confirms what I was babbling on about last night.

My guess is that they have an unenforceable agreement, but 'offering' you a consent order, makes it into a new agreement and wholly enforceable for ever......
    together with 'Liberty to apply' would mean that as soon as the order was in place they could apply for further enforcement saying that £1 pcm for over 79 years wasn't reasonable ....

Follows
    Following

Cagger since
    Dec 2007
    I am in
    Back of beyond

Quote Originally Posted by gh2008 View Post
    I think that sort of confirms what I was babbling on about last night.

My guess is that they have an unenforceable agreement, but 'offering' you a consent order, makes it into a new agreement and wholly enforceable for ever......
    together with 'Liberty to apply' would mean that as soon as the order was in place they could apply for further enforcement saying that £1 pcm for over 79 years wasn't reasonable ....

Absolutely. trapper, is there anyway you can scan and upload, minus your personal details of course,the 'agreement' form you have.

BCOBS

Follows
    Following

Viewing CAG on a small screen? Switch to the mobile version of the site

Reclaim the Right Ltd. - reg.05783665 in the UK reg. office:- 923 Finchley Road London NW11 7PE