Seeking general advice about Endsleigh student possessions insurance

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5834 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

This isn't a complaint, more a query.

I'm looking into taking out student possessions insurance with Endsleigh for my shared rented student house next academic year.

Thing is, the minimum cover (£2,500 worth - well over the value of my possessions) excludes pretty much everything I own that is of value! During term time (i.e. not vacation cover), it does not cover either theft or accidental damage of:

CDs

DVDs

CD players/hifis

DVD players (portable with screen or proper size)

MP3 players

The only thing that leaves is clothes and books. If either of these gets stolen, you have to have a certified police report before being able to claim for the theft. Personally I think it's petty and a waste of valuable police time to go to the police station to report the theft of your miniature French verb tables or A4 lined paper pad or something like that!). It just doesn't seem worth it. And no-one would break into a house just to steal that anyway.

So with the exception of my laptop and mobile, that excludes almost everything I own! So I'm thinking maybe it's not worth it at all to bother with getting a policy if it doesn't cover anything I want to cover. I'm sure I could find a individual laptop cover (i.e. no possessions else with it) cheaper somewhere else (or indeed with Endsleigh perhaps). My laptop is quite old and not worth much and I would be quite happy to just buy a new one myself so I wouldn't bother insuring it.

The vacation cover does cover these things, but to be honest in the holidays I am most likely to take them home with me so a cover would be pointless!

Does anyone else have this cover with Endsleigh and would you consider using it, or not, seeing as it excludes everything vulnerable to theft?!

Hi Tom,

I have posted on your other thread ;)

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/students/142683-wondering-what-people-think.html

Regards,

Lex

Please help us to help you. Download the CAG tool bar for free

HERE and use the search option for all your searches. CAG earns a few pennies every time !!!

Please don't rush, take time to read these:-

&

This is always worth referring to

Advice & opinions given by me are personal, are not endorsed by the Consumer Action Group or the Bank Action Group. Should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

You could try to find out if your parents' contents insurance covers you while you are at university. Several policies do provide this extension.

Endsleigh is not the only company which provides cover for student possessions - for example I found other companies like HSBC, E and L, and Saxon Insurance (by searching for student insurance UK on Google). I had a brief look at the HSBC policy, and they seem to cover musical/entertainment equipment, although I don't think they cover mobile phones. You could always get mobile phone insurance separately elsewhere.

Thanks, yeah that is an idea, I ought to ask my mum if that would apply. Would be nice!

Yeah I've looked at a few other student possessions insurance websites but the ones I have found have no been able to compete anywhere near the Endsleigh price (though they may cover more things) but I haven't checked a couple you mentioned so I will do so, thanks for your advice :)