Need Advice Before I Make A Claim For a TV

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5825 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I bought a 50" plasma Samsung TV off a customer of mine 3 weeks ago. My daughter had just ruined my 50" rear screen TV by painting it with red paint. Now I rang the police and checked the serial number first to see if was stolen or not and they said it was not on there database

I have never had house insurance before so I decided to get it just in case something happens to this one with it being more expensive so I bought a glass stand for it and got house insurance on the 7th April.

I went away from Saturday till yesterday (Tuesday) and when I got back my TV had been pulled or pushed off the stand. None of the kids will own up to it though.

Now I have not even had my insurance 10 days and I need to make a claim. Now if it was me I would think I was something dodgy was going on making a claim in such short time. With the TV not being brand new and me only having it a short time it does seem a little strange I think.

Does anyone have any advice? A few friends have told me to wait a few weeks before I claim.

Any advice is welcome

Well you may be in for a fight. If you do claim, do NOT say "I know this sounds dodgy but....". Alarm bells will probably ring with the insurer as it is a classic sign of potential fraud.

I think though, without meaning to sound nasty, that you need to get your kids sorted out (how old are they?). Painting a TV and then breaking another one? If it were my kids they'd be having a very long trip back home with an extremely sore rear....

If they are old enough, I would get them to do a job and pay you back the money.

A few friends have told me to wait a few weeks before I claim.

That wouldn't serve any purpose - the insurer will ask about the date and estimated time that the incident happened. Indeed, I think some policies have a condition saying you have to report any claims as quickly as possible (to stop the damage from getting any worse, if the item can potentially be repaired).

if you're insured, you're insured.

for example:

If you take out car insurance at 1130am on Monday, then crash an hour later no one would say a thing.

The same should apply here.

Is it not up to the insurance company to prove anything otherwise?

Just be totally honest when you claim. Accidents happen.

That is true. And insurers do pay put in cases like this. It is down to the insured to prove the claim and for the insurer to disprove otherwise. that should only be done with proper evidence - suspicion should not be enough. I am only warning that it is more likely than not to be an uneasy ride imho.