Tesco Home Insurance - Won't Pay Up !

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4503 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

OVER three months ago I purchased a metal shed and paid for it to be erected. A couple of days after erection it blew down in a gale. I sent in a claim to TESCO INSURANCE for the cost of the shed plus labour costs to be reimbursed. I also sent in my labourers reciept for the work as requested. The total came to approx £1000. This was a straight forward claim and I was well within the provisions of the policy to be reimbursed. However, to date I have had nothing but excuse after excuse from TESCO for not dealing with my claim. I provided them with the reciept from the builder which they said they required otherwise the claim could not be processed. Yet when I spoke with a lady on their switchboard she stated that the labourer involved could not be contacted because the line had gone dead so they must have gone out of business. She said this was why they couldn't refund me. This is pure fabrication as I contacted the builder myself and spoke to him. His mobile and home phone are in perfect working order and also his fax. I have provided Tesco from the begining with all of these contact details. There should be no problem.:o

When I spoke to the builder he stated that Tesco had indeed been in contact with him ONCE about a month ago but that he has heard nothing since. I have also spoken with another person on the TESCO switchboard who said yesterday that my claim would be dealt with immediately once I had forwarded the invoice for the purchase of the shed. I had the company I bought the shed from fax a copy of the receipt immediately direct to TESCO - STILL THEY WILL NOT PAY ME ! :mad: Additionally I have asked on three seperate occasions for a replacement copy of my policy schedule which I have mislaid. I have been assured each time I requested it that the literature had been sent, yet I am still waiting many weeks later, Could there be some reason why TESCO don't wish me to have the details within the policy I have paid for and why they keep delaying settlement of the claim which I am fully entitled to ?

This whole thing worrys me greatly, as TESCO INSURANCE is supposed to protect MY WHOLE HOUSE AND CONTENTS If something really major happens to my property I am in fear of losing everything I possess and TESCO refusing to pay a penny ! Please help !!

Well this happened a lot when I worked at Direct Line - which was at the time that Tesco, Churchill etc were conglomerated into RBS Insurance. The problem is that the branding went well, but the left hand didn't bothe telling the right hand what was going on (and it seemed to me that the left hand didn't know what was going on either). It left a complete mess. Valuers were told that all documents were to be sent to one place, so advisors, scattered throughout the country in various call centres (and still maintaining their own brand) could not access them.

Time to get onto the FOS I would say. Tesco should have already logged a complaint (bet they haven't so write in with one anyway and include copies of all documents to shut them up). If no satisfactory response is received then it's FOS time.

Seems like they have not learned their lessons yet.

Thank you so much Gyzmo :) Looks like you really know your stuff ! I will send in all details to the FOS. Trouble is I think I've lost the builders reciept after all this time so I hope he can supply another one. I will certainly keep you informed on what happens !! Fingers crossed eh ;)

Before you go to the FOS you must first exhaust Tescos coplaints procedure (if you havent done so already, you need to lodge a formal complaint and wait either for a final response or for the deadlines to pass without receiving communication). The FOS will not enter into a complaint otherwise.

In the paper today a woman had her roof blow off in a gale but Tesco said that the wind was 9 miles per hour less than there policy stated, obviously they are refusing to pay, be nice to know how they can say how fast the wind was at the time, must have detectors on all policy holders roofs

Looks like they're returning to their bad old ways when it was just Direct Line (refusing claims on the slightest technicality, refusing to pay claims, chasing thid parties regardless of fault etc). Someone shoudl show hese people the FOS handbook

Thanks for that, Gyzmo. I did send in a complaint ( 27th Feb ) to the managing director, a Mr Sullivan. Naturally he didn't bother to reply himself. I received one of those, "we are looking into the matter" standard

replies. I could be waiting forever though whilst they "look into it " It is patently obvious by now that they have absolutely no intention of doing any such thing ! I really am tired of the whole beaurocratic system that places companies like these in such power. :mad: These people know they have the upper hand. Recently I saw a watchdog programme they were exposing British Gas for ripping off people with their boiler protection scheme. ( Y'know, the advert where everone is dressed up like eskimos in a freezing house ! ) Apparently many people are left absolutely ages for their boiler breakdowns to be seen to, some as long as a YEAR ! Some service ,eh !

Precisely, PGH, This is what is so very worrying.:o I live in a very exposed ultra windy location. The story you illustrate of the woman whose roof blew off is just the kind of thing I EXPECT to be insured against. This is what, after all, insurance companies exist for ! Lame excuses like " 9 miles per hour less ... " All the further make me DISTRUST - TESCO HOME INSURANCE. How I rue the day I took out insurance with these people.

Bye the way, I would really appreciate if you would let me know in what newspaper you read the article, and on what page ! Thank you, :)

Can anyone advise me on the main issue which is worrying me ? That is, though I ,naturally, expect my claim to be honoured by Tesco. At the same time I very much NEED to be insured with a reliable insurance company. My question, therefore, is this, Can I open up an account with

another insurance company whilst awaiting my claim with Tesco ?

Here's a link to the story about the lady who had her roof claim rejected: Manningtree Every Little Gust Helps (from Gazette)

Can I open up an account with

another insurance company whilst awaiting my claim with Tesco

Yes, you can do that if you cancel the Tesco insurance first. They will still have to deal with the claim as they were on cover at the time of the incident.

Can anyone advise me on the main issue which is worrying me ? That is, though I ,naturally, expect my claim to be honoured by Tesco. At the same time I very much NEED to be insured with a reliable insurance company. My question, therefore, is this, Can I open up an account with

another insurance company whilst awaiting my claim with Tesco ?

Yes you can, but you will need to declare it to any potential insurer, and they may wish to log it as a claim to start, then remove it (and refund additional premiums if any) if the claim does not go ahead.

I'm really grateful to you, Lemontwist for the link to that article, really useful ! It is encouraging what both you and Gyzmo say concerning opening another account with another insurance company. Whilst still in battle with TESCO. On the one hand I REALLY want to do this, on the other hand, I have a suspicion that TESCO may use my new account with an alternative company to their own advantage ! They'd find some loophole or other to hang me with :mad: I consider TESCO Such sneaky,sneaky so and so's now, I wouldn't put anything past them :o

Tesco are part of Royal Bank of Scotland Group, so if you hate them that much you're removeing at least 40% of the UK insurance market! They include Direct Line, Churchill, Privilege, NIG, UKI Partnerships (Tescos, Virgin, Prudential) and tons more (including Coutts if you've got a few million quid or so sloshing about.

• 2 weeks later...
I'm using Internet Explorer. The functions worked fine before, as you can see with my earlier posts. I just don't understand it..... I would do a downmouthed purple smiley at this point, but I can't ! ! oh I am deprived ! : (

Can you still see the smileys to the right of the text-box when you create a new reply, or do they no longer appear at all?

Under the "Additional Options" section, there's a tickbox saying "Disable smilies in text" - could you have clicked that by accident?

Yes, indeed, I can still see the smilies to the right of the text box, and the 'Disable smilies in text function under additional options is left unclicked. I have checked and double checked all the available settings. All still remains a mystery ! Non functioning smilies, not exactly the worst problem in the world, I suppose : ) but all the same, frustrating ... : ( I notice, incidently that under 'posting rules ' it says ' you may not post attachments ' and also the HTML code is off, but I don't think this should affect the rest of the functions, should it ?? ....

I think my settings are the same as yours: