Patricia Pearl - Small Claims Procedure - A Practical Guide

An excellent guide for the layperson in how to use the County Court - a must if you are intending to start a claim.

£19.99 + £1.50 (P&P)

+ Reply to Thread
    Basic Account Holder saskia297 Novitiate

Follow Real_CAG on Twitter

Cagger since
    Mar 2008

Default Legal time limit for invoices?

Hi does anyone know how long a company has to invoice someone by law?
    I had some work done on my boiler ages ago, and despite ringing them several times to chase up the invoice, it has arrived today, many months after the work was carried out, and the have only given me 5 days to pay it!

Thanks in advance for any advice!
    Saskia x

Similar Threads:

Royalties Account Holder
    Help the CAG!!
    Download our toolbar
    Michael Browne Highly authoritative Michael Browne Highly authoritative Michael Browne Highly authoritative Michael Browne Highly authoritative Michael Browne Highly authoritative Michael Browne Highly authoritative Michael Browne Highly authoritative Michael Browne Highly authoritative Michael Browne Highly authoritative Michael Browne Highly authoritative Michael Browne Highly authoritative

Cagger since
    Apr 2006

Default Re: Legal time limit for invoices?

Hi does anyone know how long a company has to invoice someone by law?
    Effectively 6 yearsicon under the Limitations Act.

That doesn't mean you have to pay it in their short timescale. If it's going to be difficult to pay in total, write to them with proposals by instalments

Gold Account Holder
    Help the CAG!!
    Download our toolbar
    tiglet Authoritative tiglet Authoritative tiglet Authoritative tiglet Authoritative tiglet Authoritative tiglet Authoritative tiglet Authoritative tiglet Authoritative tiglet Authoritative tiglet Authoritative tiglet Authoritative tiglet's Avatar

Cagger since
    Jan 2007
    I am in
    In SEN heaven

A company usually gives 30 days from date of invoice - otehrwise they could be viewed to be as unfair terms of contract.

All help is merely my opinion only - please seek legal advice if you need to as I am only qualified in SEN law.
    Follows
    Following

Classic Account Holder
    Help the CAG!!
    Make a contribution
    wino Highly informative wino Highly informative wino Highly informative wino Highly informative wino Highly informative wino Highly informative wino Highly informative

Cagger since
    Sep 2007
    I am in
    The Funny Farm

I thought you only had 6 months to invoice someone for goods or services provided.

Royalties Account Holder
    Help the CAG!!
    Download our toolbar
    buzby Highly informative buzby Highly informative buzby Highly informative buzby Highly informative buzby Highly informative buzby Highly informative buzby Highly informative buzby Highly informative buzby's Avatar

Cagger since
    Jun 2006
    I am in
    Scotland

If the work is done, it is either paid the time or on presentation of the invoice. If they are late in invoicing, then that is their look-out, but they do have a right to be paid for the work done. Making a demand that it is due in 5 days may seem harsh, but it could have been 'on presentation' so some time was given to get the funds together.

Basic Account Holder residentsrights Novitiate

Cagger since
    Mar 2008

I understood that if you had not been invoiced within one year of the completion of the service, you have been provided with credit. If the amount is within the limitations of the Consumers Credit Act (12k)I understand there must be an agreement conforming to the strict regulations. If under 12K there must be correctly rendered invoices with signed and dated worksheets.

Royalties Account Holder
    Help the CAG!!
    Download our toolbar
    freakyleaky Authoritative freakyleaky Authoritative freakyleaky Authoritative freakyleaky Authoritative freakyleaky Authoritative freakyleaky Authoritative freakyleaky Authoritative freakyleaky Authoritative freakyleaky Authoritative freakyleaky Authoritative freakyleaky Authoritative freakyleaky's Avatar

Cagger since
    Mar 2007
    I am in
    Middle Earth! (But have been to other places)

Generally speaking, invoices or notifications of debt can be issued within a period up to 6 years.
    The time period is covered by the limitation acticon. AFAIK

Gold Account Holder
    Help the CAG!!
    Download our toolbar
    tiglet Authoritative tiglet Authoritative tiglet Authoritative tiglet Authoritative tiglet Authoritative tiglet Authoritative tiglet Authoritative tiglet Authoritative tiglet Authoritative tiglet Authoritative tiglet Authoritative tiglet's Avatar

Cagger since
    Jan 2007
    I am in
    In SEN heaven

Quote Originally Posted by tiglet View Post
    A company usually gives 30 days from date of invoice - otehrwise they could be viewed to be as unfair terms of contract.
    I actually meant that a company should give 30 days from date of invoice for payment to be due - sorry if I wasn't clear

All help is merely my opinion only - please seek legal advice if you need to as I am only qualified in SEN law.
    Follows
    Following

Basic Account Holder Courierman Novitiate Courierman's Avatar

Cagger since
    Mar 2008
    I am in
    in my van somewhere - probably...

Quote Originally Posted by tiglet View Post
    I actually meant that a company should give 30 days from date of invoice for payment to be due - sorry if I wasn't clear
    30 days is the "default" time for payment to be due, or before non payment action can be taken, if not specified on the invoice. A company/sole trader can put whatever payment terms they like on their invoices if it's in their normal trading terms.

My standard trading terms for non credit customers are payment within 14 days from invoice and I mail my invoices out promptly not after a year, it's printed on every invoice I raise and also in my full terms & conditions.

Regards,

Rod...
    Follows
    Following

Platinum Account Holder
    Help the CAG!!
    Make a donation
    Lula Authoritative Lula Authoritative Lula Authoritative Lula Authoritative Lula Authoritative Lula Authoritative Lula Authoritative Lula Authoritative Lula Authoritative Lula Authoritative Lula Authoritative Lula's Avatar

Cagger since
    Apr 2006
    I am in
    Hertfordshire

hmmmm this is an interesting one, Mr Lula bought me an expensive (to my mind, 140) camera for my birthday last June, he paid on his credit card, and it has never appeared on the statements.

And Freaky. that avatar, self portrait is it lovvie?

Lula

Lula v Abbey - Settled
    Lula v Abbey (2) - Settled
    Lula v Abbey (3) - Stayed

Follows
    Following

Royalties Account Holder
    Help the CAG!!
    Download our toolbar
    JonCris Authoritative JonCris Authoritative JonCris Authoritative JonCris Authoritative JonCris Authoritative JonCris Authoritative JonCris Authoritative JonCris Authoritative JonCris Authoritative JonCris Authoritative JonCris Authoritative

Cagger since
    May 2006

Quote Originally Posted by residentsrights View Post
    I understood that if you had not been invoiced within one year of the completion of the service, you have been provided with credit. If the amount is within the limitations of the Consumers Credit Act (12k)I understand there must be an agreement conforming to the strict regulations. If under 12K there must be correctly rendered invoices with signed and dated worksheets.
    Your correct if they 'allowed' you credit for more than 1 year they entered into a controlled agreement by default vis a vee Dimond v Lovell.

However IMHO the debt would still be enforceable with a court order as the court would probably consider 2 main points

The 1st being that you had the benefit of not paying for 1 year thereby accruing a profit in interesticon & 2nd was the work done to your satisfaction & if so the labourer is worthy of his hire.

Also I doubt the court would be sympathetic as they will say with some justification that you knew of the debt & therefore should have allowed for it in your budgeting

My advice is whilst explaining their invoice was unexpected to try & be reasonable by offering to pay what you can as soon as you can

Follows
    Following

Viewing CAG on a small screen? Switch to the mobile version of the site

Reclaim the Right Ltd. - reg.05783665 in the UK reg. office:- 923 Finchley Road London NW11 7PE