• Tweets

• Paragraph 18 – you are still talking about Boston stolen items. About time this was fixed??? Paragraph 19  In any event, the claimant's PS5 gaming device was correctly declared and correctly valued. The defendant accepted it for carriage and was even prepared to earn extra money by selling sell insurance in case of its loss or damage. New paragraph 20 – this the defendant routinely sells insurance in respect of "no compensation" items (a secondary contract contrary to section 72 CRA 2015) new paragraph above paragraph 20 – the defendant purports to limit its liability in respect of lost or damaged items. This is contrary to section 57 of the consumer rights act 2015. The defendant offers to extend their liability if their customer purchases an insurance cover for an extra sum of money. This insurance is a secondary contract calculated to exclude or limit their liability for the defendants contractual breaches and is contrary to section 72 of the consumer rights act 2015. New paragraph below paragraph 42 – the defendant merely relies on "standard industry practice" You haven't pointed to the place in your bundle of the Telegraph newspaper extract. You have to jiggle the paragraphs around. Even though I have suggested new paragraph numbers, the order I have suggested is on your existing version 5. You will have to work it out for your next version. Good luck!   Let's see version 6 Separately, would you be kind enough to send me an unredacted to me at our admin email address.
    • UK travellers have been turned away at airports because their passports are not valid for EU travel.View the full article
    • i think theres been MORE than amble evidence of that and am astonished that criminal proceedings haven't begun.
    • Yep, those 'requirements' not met to shareholders satisfaction seem to me to be: 1. Not being allowed to increase customer bills by 40% (of which well over 50% of the new total would NOT be investment) 2. 1 plus regulators not agreeing to letting them do 'things in their own time (ie carry on regardless)
    • As already mentioned freely available "credit scores" are fairly useless. All lenders have their own "credit scoring" system, that for obvious reasons they don't divulge. And they're "scored" differently to the freely available ones. As soon as they could, we've always encouraged our two children to use credit cards responsibly... Pay off in full, etc, to generate good history. It's paid off. At quite young ages, they have both obtained loans for cars, mortgage and their credit card limits are through the roof. Personally, I have shifted debt around a lot on credit cards (even financed a house purchase once at 0% 😉) and I've only ever been refused a credit card once, sorry twice by the same company, over many years. They must have something very different in their lending criteria. You're a tight one, Mr Branson.
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 160 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Domestic Heating Oil: Price Comparison by Region

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4868 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi everyone

I thought I would start this thread as I have just been charged 50.8p a litre for domestic heating oil. I live in the Western Isles.

This worked out at £592 for a tank of oil and is the third time its been filled in 14 months- seems very expensive to me. In addition to the heating oil, I obviously have to pay electricity for all of the other appliances in the house.

I work and I am fortunate as I earn a reasonable wage. I am at a loss to understand how people on lower incomes can afford to heat their homes by domestic heating oil. Oil is also not the most efficient means of heating, dependent on the type of boiler appliance in use.

I imagine this thread will apply to people resident in rural areas mainly, but you may have a relative or friend who is affected or work in a related industry eg heating installation, Energy Advice Centre, CAB, etc.

I am also interested in finding out regional variations in the price of heating oil and tracking price rises over a period of time.

You may have heard of the Governments Warm Front central heating programme (administered by EAGA in England and Wales) and the Scottish Governments Warm Deal and Central Heating Programme (administered by Scottish Gas). Both these programmes provide a grant towards a new heating system and insulation where appropriate for qualifying households. I am all for choice, but should an oil heating system be included in the programme if the costs of running it are so high and prices are only likely to increase. The promotion of oil heating systems does nothing to take vulnerable people out of fuel poverty. It is difficult to shop around for cheaper deals for oil, in the same manner as switching power utilities.

I am interested in comments, advice and suggestions which may be of benefit to others.

Regards, Kenny :)

Hi Kenny you have a very valid point, being a heating engineer I hear this quite a lot but TBH I cant recall any costs they mentioned except that they were HIGH. A friend of mine who lived in a farm had a main gas pipe 120 yards away and after deciding to look into the costs of having a connection from it he was shocked to find out the costs were £12,000 plus. Its got to be a deciding factor when people buy properties these days, sorry cant input any more.

• 2 weeks later...

Kenny, did you get any further with your research? I'm in a similar position, no mains gas, so around 11 yrs ago bought and installed an oil fired system. Just bought 1000 litres of 28 sec oil, at 47.65p + 5% VAT. Prices I was quoted varied from 47p (delivered 1st week in April - too late!) to 50.95p. I should imagine you would be paying at least a few pence more than that, given your location - I'm in NW Wales.

Just wondering whether it would pay to replace my boiler. It runs perfectly well and has done except for replacing the circuit board for the burner once. Was never professionally comissioned, so may not be set up for the optimum economy.

What's needed is the cost of producing one standard unit of heat, with different fuels. I was told the other day (but find it difficult to believe) that electric heating would cost me about half what I pay now. Somebody must have some figures, surely?

Hi pg.

I think a good service would help if you are going to keep the boiler. It is a stove we have which acts as a cooker and also provides central heating/ heats the hot water- like an aga. We currently rent our house and the system is covered by a maintenance contract. It broke down over the weekend, but is now working better than ever after being fixed and having a service. Perhaps that would work for you.

I can believe what you were told about electric costs, particularly if it was on the right tariff.

(All prices I have quoted are also ex 5% VAT.)

A colleague just paid 56.4p a litre, today. (Yes, the price is higher due to our location. Diesel is £1.19 l).

Her price is a rise from my purchase price of 50.8p of 05.6p a litre or 9.9%, in 2 weeks. The last tank of oil at £562 would now cost £626, an extra £62.

I have found price comparison web sites but as they are commercial, I can't post them here. They mainly seem to be cartels of delivery agents and you select the best price. I can PM them to you, if you wish- just let me know, or a google will bring them up.

Likewise, there are people who calculate price in the method you mention. I have never done that but can pass the details.

I don't know your age, but if you are over 60, you might qualify for the Warm Front- heating and insulation. That might be one answer for you.

How is Wales today- as beautiful as ever!! I have spent some fantastic times there.

Regards, Kenny

Thanks for the reply, Kenny. It's a good day here in Wales (at least in our part!), the best we've had for quite a while. Diesel here is £1.179, but £1.109 at the nearest decent sized Asda - but thats about 150mls round trip. I've also noticed a massive difference in 47kg propane bottle prices as you move around the country. All last summer we could buy it for £32 here, but at the same time saw it on sale in Thurso for over £50. I think it's £43 now.

I've always cleaned my boiler flue, and there's never been much to clean, so that might indicate the settings aren't too far off. I'll leave it for now. Can't take advantage of the scheme you mentioned, I've 5 yrs to go still!

As regards cost comparisons, I suppose what I'm looking for is pence per B.TH.U. If you have any links to sites which do comparisons along those lines, do send me a PM - thanks!

Edit - sutherlandtables website (hope that's not breaking any rules - if so please delete) seems to have all the info. - at a price!

Hi and welcome to CAG Lone rider.

No sorry, I don't, unfortunately. All I can suggest is phoning around the oil delivery companies in your area, although you'll already know that. As the world barrel price has dropped, it might be worth asking them what the price is likely to be in the next week or 2, ie is it worth buying only a half tank.

One tip I can give is to try and tie up with near neighbours and tally up the amount of oil you would all need and then to use that as a bargaining tool with all the suppliers in your area.

That way, you would have an order for 5/6/7 full tanks of oil and they are more likely to reduce the price slightly due to economies of scale in the delivery, which could all be done at the same time. You would be creating competition between the suppliers.

Once you buy it could you please post the prices.

Thanks, Kenny

Hi Kenny, got the CH Oil from CPL at 53.7p/litre but usually when bill comes in if you pay prompt there is a discount. Didn't have time to phone round but they where rationing at the time as the Tanker that was supposed to come into Inverness Harbour was unable to because of the tides for over a week and BP was rationing out to all other companies until the next tie up.:rolleyes: Cheers Martin

Thanks for posting Martin.

Ah, the impact of weather and the tides. 5/6 weeks ago there was no oil here due to the bad weather, unable to dock. Makes you inventive!!

We have a Stanley range, so no cooking when no oil. Ended up cooking in one pot on top of the Morso stove we have- good fun, but don't want to do it all the time!

Tanker that was supposed to come into Inverness Harbour was unable to because of the tides for over a week

Do you know its actually cheaper per mile to deliver by sea than road tanker. Due to bulk and their transport costs.

Costs in our areas should reflect that!!

Hi, I've just joined your forum as I came across the website whilst trying to find 'cheap' price for 1000 litres of oil.

I found, as Kenny suggested, ringing every company in my area to find the best price was my only option at getting a 'good' deal.

I live on the Suffolk/Cambridge boarder and have just ordered oil at 49.05 per ltr, . I had to haggle a bit to get this so don't be afraid to 'play' one company off the other!

I can remember purchasing oil when I bought my first house 15 years ago AT 17P per litre and I thought that was expensive!

I'm living near Forres (Northern Scotland) and the time has come for me to order some oil.After phoning around,I managed to find out the following prices:

Brogan Fuels 54ppl

Gleaner Oil & Gas 51ppl

CPL 52.9ppl

Overall I need 900 litres (the minimum amount).Time to think about a wood burner I guess!

I've talked to a few people up here who got together and formed a buying group to get a discount.After negotiation ,the group was able to get a discount of 0.5ppl! Hardly worth bothering with:(

Overall I need 900 litres (the minimum amount).Time to think about a wood burner I guess!

I've talked to a few people up here who got together and formed a buying group to get a discount.After negotiation ,the group was able to get a discount of 0.5ppl! Hardly worth bothering with:(

The discount is really disappointing. They currently have us over a barrel.

Sorry, just a bit of humour, given our situation.

The Western Isles MP has written to the OFT. I will see what I can find out.

Regards, Kenny

BBC News Player - Oil thefts hit rural areas

BBC News Player - Oil thefts on the rise

BBC News Player - Tankers used in oil theft

Oil thefts on the rise- BBC audio link (sorry can't find a text link yet).

The problem of theft may will increase. Check your insurance policy, excess and conditions.

"A rise in oil prices has lead to an increase in domestic oil thefts, prompting residents to take preventative measures

10 Apr 2008"

Check the tank and oil level regularly, secure the tank lid with chain and padlock, use security lighting.

Kenny

• 1 month later...

16/05/08

We paid 61.4p per litre + VAT

West Devon

Please help us to help you. Download the CAG tool bar for free

HERE and use the search option for all your searches. CAG earns a few pennies every time !!!

Please don't rush, take time to read these:-

&

This is always worth referring to

Advice & opinions given by me are personal, are not endorsed by the Consumer Action Group or the Bank Action Group. Should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

• 4 weeks later...

hi just been looking at prices for oil and found this forum! i last filled my tank up 1200 litres last year just before christmas at a cost of around £500. just had a few online quotes cheapest at Today's price is 61.99 pence per litre.

Total price is £743.88 + VAT

anyone else in the suffolk area found it any cheaper or know where i can find info on group buys.

don't know how im going to afford to live at this rate.

I'm in Cheshire - paid 55.5p last week but I was told it's on the up again. I paid approx. half that only 3 years ago. Guess it's one of the ?perks of living with the cows! I do feel penalised though as I have no fuel option other than electricity - which is looking more economical by the day!

It would be great if there was a comparison site for oil like there is for local petrol (petrolprices.com). Only tip I can offer - I maintain accounts at various suppliers & then just make a few calls before I order.

Any knowledge I possess or advice I proffer is based solely on my experiences in the University of Life. Please make your own assessment of legality, risks & costs before taking any action.

Has anyone tried a seach for 'boilerjuice' ?

It might just be a local thing. It finds out how many people within your postcode are prepered to order that week and hunts around for the best price. The price says fixed for every one else, even if you choose not to order at that time.

Edited by Mr lex

Please help us to help you. Download the CAG tool bar for free

HERE and use the search option for all your searches. CAG earns a few pennies every time !!!

Please don't rush, take time to read these:-

&

This is always worth referring to

Advice & opinions given by me are personal, are not endorsed by the Consumer Action Group or the Bank Action Group. Should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

• 3 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Just found this thread as I am moving to an area without gas for the first time. Was horrified to see how much oil costs. I did google 'boilerjuice' and they seem to do a lot of the work for you in finding the cheapest quote in your area.

Can anyone explain to me though why it is that when the price of oil drops it doesn't seem to be passed on to the consumer?

• 1 month later...

This is the first time I find a useful website for oil price comparison, so thanks for this! I did a price check in boilerjuice and, although I think the service they provide is very good, when I checked against my oil provider (Total Butler - Hampshire) the price per litre was 40.62 against the website at 42.00. The reason it is cheaper might be because I have a direct debit and pay a fixed monthly amount. Worth checking anyway.

• 1 month later...

I just tried BoilerJuice thinking it would save a lot of time and calls, but their price range today for 1000L (in Worcestershire) is £39.75 > £49.99, whilst my supplier is now quoting £32.95 (they were nearly 10p/L cheaper than anyone else last time around). I checked whether my supplier knew of them. Their reply was, "yes and we're registered with them, but they will always be more expensive, because they add a charge to ours!" If that's the way it works, it's not quite the same operation as the more widely advertised comparison sites for other services.

I was concerned about your quote and checked. BoilerJuice do not add a charge. The suppliers enter their oil price directly into the BoilerJuice site and if it is more expensive it is because the suppliers are not putting their cheapest price in. They then quote a cheaper price direct. That's fine if there aren't many suppliers in their area but if there are they could lose more business than they gain as BoilerJuice customers will automatically be sent to the cheapest supplier.