Parcelforce Damage Claims

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5869 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi, I am just hoping that someone might be able to to give me some advice here.

A parcel I sent with Parcelforce was damaged in transit - having spent a few months going back and forth with the claims department I finally had an inspector visit and had a reply from Parcelforce saying that while they acknowledge that the parcel was damaged, there is no visible harm to the packaging so they have rejected my claim. I am obviously going to appeal this, but I'm looking for advice on what exactly to say in my letter.

I used the manufacturer's standard shipping box, which is very robust - you can easily drop a decent cardboard box from 2 or 3 metres or more (plenty of shock to destroy even the most well-packed contents) without leaving a mark if the large, flat face lands on a flat surface. I plan on saying this to Parcelforce, but really I don't know what else I need to point out to them. Any help would be very much appreciated.

If the contents are damaged but there is no visible signs of damage to the exterior packaging then it almost always means that the interior packaging was insufficient.

What was the item, and how was it packaged?

Opinions given herein are made informally by myself as a lay-person in good faith based on personal experience. For legal advice you must always consult a registered and insured lawyer.

It was an Apple computer, and was packed in all of the original shipping packaging (there are several moulded polystyrene inserts to hold and protect the computer inside the box). Basically it was packed exactly how Apple would've done when sending it out.

Well firstly, if you've re-used the packing materials then it is obviously weaker than when it was new due to the stresses and strains already applied. Secondly, just because Apple pack it in that way does not necessarily mean it is sufficient to protect it.

In what way is the computer damaged?

Opinions given herein are made informally by myself as a lay-person in good faith based on personal experience. For legal advice you must always consult a registered and insured lawyer.

Hi MB,

Is there any background to this - have you sold the computer, sent it off to the buyer and it's arrived not working. Or some other scenario.

Who has diagnosed the damage to the motherboard. Was no opinion given as to how such damage occured. Have you an estimate for repairing the damaged.

Who now has the computer.

Slick

We could do with some help from you

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?  Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Please give something if you can. We all give our time free of charge but the site has bills to pay.

Thanks !:-)

I sent the computer and it arrived not working, I refunded the buyer's money and had it returned to me. I know that anything will take bumps in transit, but I believe some of the BGA chips have come loose, implying a jolt of significant force. Like I said in my first post, if you drop a cardboard box on its flat side it can withstand an awful lot of shock without deforming.

Because of the cost of replacement hardware for Apple machines, replacement would cost about the same as the total value of the machine.

Parcelforce have not said anything about the packaging being inadequate - all they said is that there is not any evidence that the computer was damaged while in their care.

Hi MB,

From all I've read here, I think you have to decide whether to press PF for compensation, possibly by a court claim, or not.

In your favour, PF have agreed package was damage. I don't see how they can acknowledge this, yet deny liability BECAUSE of no visible sign of damage to packaging mats.

Against you, I guess you have no expert report suggesting poss cause of damage to computer, nor do you have proof that puter was working when sent.

Poss evidence in your favour would be if you sell and send puters on a regular basis using PF, with this being the ONLY problem encountered.

As with banks (reclaiming chgs from them), you have to show you're determined (willing to take court action) or they won't take you seriously and will deny liability.

We could do with some help from you

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?  Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Please give something if you can. We all give our time free of charge but the site has bills to pay.

Thanks !:-)