Royal Sun Alliance Loss adjuster Scam

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5891 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I've been dismayed after needing to make claim against my buildings insurance with Royal Sun Alliance. Our back wall blew down nigh on five weeks ago, after two weeks they sent out a builder who then wrote to us to ask for the Excess £100 (Fair enough) The gates arent covered for storm damage so we will have to pay for that- Hard, but ok, we agreed to it initially when we got the insurance cover.

After phoning up to see why it was taking so long to get approval I was told that they will send out another assessor as the quote was high- This assessor was evidently a loss adjuster who has blocked the claim on the following basis:

1)The house is victorian so it's wear and tear (Worrying if it all falls down!) and in any case the wall is about 15 years old (Victorians rarely built garage doors and driveways)

2)The pointing is in poor condition- untrue, it was rendered and pointed perfectly up to the point of collapse which created a big pile of rubble and chunks.

3) There is evidence of lean on the wall- Of course there is, it was blown over, the remaining 9 bricks are leaning precariously however

Ive spoken to the insurers who say that they refer everything to loss adjusters over £2,000 automatically, apparently the wall cost was for well over £2000 (Which is outrageous!) The wall is still blocking the road and the highways agency are starting to wave threats of billing us for thousands of pounds to clear it.

The loss adjuster CLEARLY has not got a Charter in Surveying and and I am getting very little practical assistance other than raising a complaint (Which then seems to just be referred to the loss adjuster again) Any one know how to challenge this "creative" man? I am going to issue proceedings at court, but i want to avoid it if possible. Thanks .Paul.

I would write to them suggesting mediation (a qualified independant inspector). If they refuse, state that you appoint your own and will charge them the costs of having to do so.

The first point made is absolute rubbish. The age of the property insured is irrelevant if it is not attached to another structure also covered.

the second point will need to be demonstrated either way. Do you have any documents showing work carried out, or even photographs?

the third point is of more concern and is one that frequently crops in in insurance examinations. Basically, it has to be demonstrated that the leaning was caused by the event.

Be aware though that, in appointing someone else to do thngs for you, it is you who will run the risks of meeting the costs. Check R&A's dispute procedure first, then provide some reasonable evidence that casts doubt on the assessors judgement. This should be reasonable ground for them to send someone else out, or at least agree to someone independant.

Well, the loss adjusters have admitted they have no qualifications in surveying and that they have not tested anything- they also say it is fine to clear the site of rubble now. Im going to take photos of the points they rely on, We dont have pictures or reciepts for the rendering as far as im aware as it was done just prior to move in, I have however got several witness statements and the remaining walls to the side are all rendered still. The portion of remaining leaning wall (All 9 bricks) are leaning out above ground- this is adjoining the remaining side wall- these bricks would have acted like a hinge-and yes, of course they lean. I'm arranging other insurance tonight and cancelling this insurance on monday, i think theyve acted very lazily and slowly- I'm aware that some insurers withdraw cover after a suing or a large claim leaving the policy holder with higher policy payments in the future so im going to arrange an overlapping insurance and not pay the next premium. If they want to pay Dodgy swines I will too!

Well, following my letter asking about the method of testing used and the technical qualifications of the loss adjuster the manager of the loss adjuster has decided that there is not sufficient technical evidence to withold the claim. I'm loathe that it's taken so long and i'm loathe to have someone charge insurers £2000+ for a wall which should cost half that! -(Bearing in mind, all you other RSA customers, that you are paying for their complacency and refusal to entertain other companies by subsidising my wall saga - im sorry!)

I'm going to ask for a cheque for settlement to get a much more reasonable and local builder instead as I'm unhappy with how everything else has been handled in terms of timescale. Will let you know how i get on with that.

Thanks for your advice Gyzmo. LOL about the Mafia comment, i agree!

Well I'm glad that they seem to have come to their senses. Whether they will pay by cheque is a different matter - some insurers prefer direct billing (helps prevent fraud), and the insurer may also want a costing of the work before paying out (and will only pay that amount out) but point out the problems you have had - they should hopefully relent.

Well, seems all done and dusted, still awaiting the insurers being told to proceed, have written the most polite but factual letter to the company administering the claim for RSA (Its payment shield) If anyone else has problems on this from I'd suggest writing to the people listed here Paymentshield - About Us - Management Team Biographies

the e mail format is (first name).(last name)@paymentshield.co.uk I also CC'd the FSA in on the letters and E Mails. we are on week five with the road blocked by fallen wall now. Good luck to you all!