Owner not driver

joant
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5886 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

This is first post sorry if there is not enough info.

When I purchased our car I was the main insured driver on our car with my husband as a named driver. When I became medically unfit to drive and had to send my drivers licence back to the dvla the insurance company cancelled my insurance. They issued another policy with my husband as the insured driver only. The policy is fully comp.

This week he has been involved in an accident. He called the police who were only interested in clearing the road and said to just contact the insurance companies. Insurance details were exchanged and the claim is in progress with my hubby's insurance company. My hubby has a witness who said the other driver was at fault.

Today I received a letter addressed to me asking me for my insurance details. Stating that their client wants to pursue me for losses sustained in the accident stating it was mine or my drivers fault. The name of their client is not that of the person driving the car at the time of the accident.

My question is can they claim against me cos I am still the register owner.

My husband was the driver and the policy is in his name. I do not have any insurance on the car.

I'm not even sure why they sent you the letter in the first place, the MID will show the car in your name but will also show the policy is in your husbands name so he should have got the letter, not you.

Either way you've got nothing to worry about and as above, just forward the letter to your husbands insurer and let them sort it out for you.

DA

If you find the advice I give is useful, then please feel free to click the scales :)

"It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt" :)

• 2 weeks later...

MID checks don't show policy holder names though? Just the Insurance company, ref and contact details.

Obviously they didn't perform a MID Check anyway as they are asking for the insurance details. DVLA Check would have given the owners name and address.

The reason their client is not the same as the person involved in the accident could either be because the driver wasn't the owner and it's the owner who is claiming or perhaps they gave false details at the scene.

As already noted you should forward the letter to the insurance company and let them deal with it.