Change of shift pattern, how long notice??

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5882 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi, yes there is......It should be in your contract of employment.

Regards.

Scott.

Any advice I give is honest and in good faith.:)

If in doubt, you should seek the opinion of a Qualified Professional.

If you can, please donate to this site.

Help keep it up and active, helping people like you.

If you no longer require help, please do what you can to help others

RIP: Rooster-UK - MARTIN3030 - cerberusalert

Hi there, as Scott says - look at your contract of employment. There might be a clause in there which says your employer may change your hours of work to suit the business needs (or something similar). I think it would be unreasonable of them to give less than 7 days notice - unless there is an urgent business need. However, you can object if the change is made too soon for you to make arrangements for child care or transport etc.

What exactly are they asking you to change to?

Kind Regards

Ell-enn

Help us to keep on helping

Please consider making a donation, however small, if you have benefited from advice on the forums

This site is run solely on donations

My advice is based on my opinion and experience only. It is not to be taken as legal advice - if you are unsure you should seek professional help.

Sorry it took me so long to get back, my contract just states that you will be required to work 40 hours a week, it doesnt really say anything else about notice of shift change or anything. Its just we only get 1 days notice for shift change, for example change a 6- 2 for a 2- 10 etc.. i wondered if they could legally get away with it...

Have a look at Direct gov .com

Your employer may need to change your conditions or patterns of work because of business or economic factors. However, your contract of employment can only be changed if both you and your employer agree to this. It's a breach of contract to change your working conditions without your agreement.

AS far as I’m aware unless your contract says otherwise, you company only has to give reasonable notice. Now my guess is that 24 hrs to change from 6-2 to 2 -10 is reasonable but would not be if say from 10-6 to 6-2 etc etc.

Best advice is to write to the company and ask them their policy on notice times. You never know, maybe higher management may considers 48 hrs is the way and it’s the line mangers who only give 24 hrs.

If my comments have been helpful please click my scales

You may also find the information in your company handbook if you have one. If not, ask you Personnel Manager who will provide the information.

It is usually quite some time. I work for a supermarket and they have to give me 12 weeks notice before changing my contract unless I agree to it.