Installing a gas meter, how much?

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4882 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I live in a maisonette which has a gas supply (my neighbours upstairs have gas) but I have no meter. How much should it cost to get a meter put in if you already have a supply and do they put a supply into the house or is that extra and all you get is ther meter in the white box outside on the wall?

If you have a gas supply, you must have a meter somewhere, who is your supplier? have you been receiving bills?

Lula

Lula v Abbey - Settled

Lula v Abbey (2) - Settled

Lula v Abbey (3) - Stayed

My building has a supply but I do not as I have no meter my neighbours meter is outside in a white box. A few years back transco put new piping in the street and moved all the meters outside into the white boxes. I didn't use gas at the time so I never got a meter put in but now would like a gas cooker so obviously need gas. All I want to know is will I have to pay or do the suppliers provide one free to new customers.

[/url]

From Uswitch:

The cost of a gas connection depends on how much work is involved. National Grid, who do most connections for individual homes, have standard charges for the easiest connections, and will quote for labour and materials etc for the larger ones. Usually, the distance between your home and an existing gas main makes the biggest difference to price.

National Grid's 'standard charges' cover new connections to individual premises which are no more than 23 meters away from the nearest main, and which will use a 'normal' amount of gas for a house (less then 73200kWh per year).

http://www.nationalgrid.com/NR/rdonlyres/04892941-FAEA-46EA-89AD-3D192F1FCBD5/5788/GASCONNECTIONGUIDE.pdf

http://www.nationalgrid.com/NR/rdonl...CTIONGUIDE.pdf

If you click on the link you will see it's for gas

I have just been looking into this tonight.....it is so difficult to get information on this. I have gas in the street, but they have to supply a pipe into your home and you have to pay for this. I am not sure of the cost and would appreciate any advice on how much this costs. It says if you want a meter outside, they will provide this but if you want an "in-built" one , you have to pay for it and give a list of suppliers. I am not sure what an in-built on is - is this inside the property? The have an application form on the website National Grid plc – Group Home Page and then they give you a quote and you have to phone for any help. Unfortunately, they are only open 9am-5pm. Does anyone have any idea how much approximately? Michael - I cannot open the link you have supplied. Thanks for any help anyone can give...

Thanks for the help but for the umpteenth time I have a gas supply I just need a meter installing, I guess I will just have to phone up for a quote!

Therefore, G&M, you will still need to get a pipe put into your house. Hope my info helps.

Hi green and mean you will need to fill out an application form before they come out, when they come out it is usually around 4 to 6 weeks after receiving this form and the AVERAGE costs are between £300 to £600.

They will only fit the meter and cap the outlet, the outlet into your house would be your corgi fitters work.

Hi green and mean you will need to fill out an application form before they come out, when they come out it is usually around 4 to 6 weeks after receiving this form and the AVERAGE costs are between £300 to £600.

They will only fit the meter and cap the outlet, the outlet into your house would be your corgi fitters work.

......and the CORGI fitters cannot book you in until you get confirmation that you have had the meter installed....

got one done by gritish bas in nov 07 cost 425

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

• 3 months later...

If you dig the trench yourself, you can save nearly £150 on the cost (they backfill for free!). I had to use Transco, and pat £425 up front for the connection. I was given a date 7 weeks in advance for the work to be completed. Due to scheduling problems, Transco missed 3 hook-up dates, and I ended up being paid compensation. They ended up paying ME £25 for the gas hook-up!

I have been quoted £17000 (seventeen THOUSAND pounds!!!!) by Fulcrum to install gas at my house.

I then got a quote from a local firm to just dig the trench, which was only about £1500, less than the a tenth the cost. So I have a very very poor opinion of Fulcrum as I am sceptical that connecting the pipe to the main really merits the extra £15500.

So saving £150 on the £17000 bill would not have me jumping for joy.

I'm curious - what did Transco do for the £425? Did they dig the road up (or tunnel under it) to get to the gas main? How far were you from the gas main - was it less than ten meters please?

Edited by infinityplusone

60m is quite a distance, especially if there is nobody to share the cost of the installation. Not that it makes you feel any better, but Fulcrum are licenced to cut into roads and pavements to complete the work, which other contractors are not. That said, there's quite a fair bit of technology involved if the gas main is high pressure, a whole range of step-down devices need to be installed (and paid for) before the low-pressure feed can be provided for domestic purposes. So you might be doing them an injstice by looking only at the trench and shortest distance pipe cost.

I had a friend who had a silmilar distance to travel and they wanted 12 grand then (5 years ago) trenching wont be required as they would use a mole to lay the pipe so couple of digs most, the cost is shocking but not unexpected, who else can connect into the main? no one thats why its as much. Even IF the main was CI and high pressure these costs are way beyond what it should be in my opinion.

The nearest gas main is I expect just an ordinary street gas main. I've been investigating gwetting a gas supply - apparantly there are lots of people who can do it, although it requires a lot of investigation to find them, and I expect Fulcrum are just replying on peoples inertia and the belief that there is no competition.

After some desk-research I found out that there are many companies who can provide a gas supply, not just one.

I have written a summary of what I found here (using the same user name):

How to get a gas supply to your house - MoneySavingExpert.com Forums

Fulcrum (wholely owned by National Grid) are probably trading on peoples lack of knowledge of alternatives to quote rip-off prices. Even the man I spoke to on the phone at Fulcrum said, after I was shocked by the price he quoted, "Yes, its extortionate".

• 2 years later...

Surfer01. Can't PM you as am a newboy. "Consumer Action Group. Reclaim the Right", only if you post enough messages first!!!!! Can you PM me please? Transco are bringing gas in, but I need a meter install in Bristol, if you can help.