Patricia Pearl - Small Claims Procedure - A Practical Guide

An excellent guide for the layperson in how to use the County Court - a must if you are intending to start a claim.

£19.99 + £1.50 (P&P)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2
1 2 LastLast
    Platinum Account Holder
    Help the CAG!!
    Make a donation
    green_and_mean Highly informative green_and_mean Highly informative green_and_mean Highly informative green_and_mean Highly informative green_and_mean Highly informative green_and_mean Highly informative green_and_mean Highly informative green_and_mean Highly informative green_and_mean's Avatar

Follow Real_CAG on Twitter

Cagger since
    Jul 2007

Default Installing a gas meter, how much?

I live in a maisonette which has a gas supply (my neighbours upstairs have gas) but I have no meter. How much should it cost to get a meter put in if you already have a supply and do they put a supply into the house or is that extra and all you get is ther meter in the white box outside on the wall?

Similar Threads:

Platinum Account Holder
    Help the CAG!!
    Make a donation
    Lula Authoritative Lula Authoritative Lula Authoritative Lula Authoritative Lula Authoritative Lula Authoritative Lula Authoritative Lula Authoritative Lula Authoritative Lula Authoritative Lula Authoritative Lula's Avatar

Cagger since
    Apr 2006
    I am in
    Hertfordshire

Default Re: Installing a gas meter, how much?

If you have a gas supply, you must have a meter somewhere, who is your supplier? have you been receiving bills?

Platinum Account Holder
    Help the CAG!!
    Make a donation
    green_and_mean Highly informative green_and_mean Highly informative green_and_mean Highly informative green_and_mean Highly informative green_and_mean Highly informative green_and_mean Highly informative green_and_mean Highly informative green_and_mean Highly informative green_and_mean's Avatar

Cagger since
    Jul 2007

My building has a supply but I do not as I have no meter my neighbours meter is outside in a white box. A few years back transco put new piping in the street and moved all the meters outside into the white boxes. I didn't use gas at the time so I never got a meter put in but now would like a gas cooker so obviously need gas. All I want to know is will I have to pay or do the suppliers provide one free to new customers.

Royalties Account Holder
    Help the CAG!!
    Download our toolbar
    Michael Browne Highly authoritative Michael Browne Highly authoritative Michael Browne Highly authoritative Michael Browne Highly authoritative Michael Browne Highly authoritative Michael Browne Highly authoritative Michael Browne Highly authoritative Michael Browne Highly authoritative Michael Browne Highly authoritative Michael Browne Highly authoritative Michael Browne Highly authoritative

Cagger since
    Apr 2006

From Uswitch:
    The cost of a gas connection depends on how much work is involved. National Grid, who do most connections for individual homes, have standard charges for the easiest connections, and will quote for labour and materials etc for the larger ones. Usually, the distance between your home and an existing gas main makes the biggest difference to price.

National Grid's 'standard charges' cover new connections to individual premises which are no more than 23 meters away from the nearest main, and which will use a 'normal' amount of gas for a house (less then 73200kWh per year).
    http://www.nationalgrid.com/NR/rdonl...CTIONGUIDE.pdf

Gold Account Holder
    Help the CAG!!
    Download our toolbar
    Surfer01 Highly informative Surfer01 Highly informative Surfer01 Highly informative Surfer01 Highly informative Surfer01 Highly informative Surfer01 Highly informative Surfer01 Highly informative Surfer01 Highly informative

Cagger since
    May 2006

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Browne View Post
    National grid is for Electric. Transco is for gas.

Royalties Account Holder
    Help the CAG!!
    Download our toolbar
    Michael Browne Highly authoritative Michael Browne Highly authoritative Michael Browne Highly authoritative Michael Browne Highly authoritative Michael Browne Highly authoritative Michael Browne Highly authoritative Michael Browne Highly authoritative Michael Browne Highly authoritative Michael Browne Highly authoritative Michael Browne Highly authoritative Michael Browne Highly authoritative

Cagger since
    Apr 2006

National grid is for Electric. Transco is for gas.

If you click on the link you will see it's for gas

Gold Account Holder
    Help the CAG!!
    Download our toolbar
    Surfer01 Highly informative Surfer01 Highly informative Surfer01 Highly informative Surfer01 Highly informative Surfer01 Highly informative Surfer01 Highly informative Surfer01 Highly informative Surfer01 Highly informative

Cagger since
    May 2006

My humble apologies. These guys change their identities so often that it is difficult to keep up with them.

Classic Account Holder
    Help the CAG!!
    Make a contribution
    ozzywizard Highly informative ozzywizard Highly informative ozzywizard Highly informative ozzywizard Highly informative ozzywizard Highly informative ozzywizard Highly informative ozzywizard Highly informative

Cagger since
    Jul 2006

Transco is now national grid, lol.

Platinum Account Holder
    Help the CAG!!
    Make a donation

Cagger since
    Jul 2007

Thanks for the help but for the umpteenth time I have a gas supply I just need a meter installing, I guess I will just have to phone up for a quote!

Basic Account Holder shir Novitiate

Cagger since
    Feb 2008

I have just been looking into this tonight.....it is so difficult to get information on this. I have gas in the street, but they have to supply a pipe into your home and you have to pay for this. I am not sure of the cost and would appreciate any advice on how much this costs. It says if you want a meter outside, they will provide this but if you want an "in-built" one , you have to pay for it and give a list of suppliers. I am not sure what an in-built on is - is this inside the property? The have an application form on the website National Grid plc – Group Home Page and then they give you a quote and you have to phone for any help. Unfortunately, they are only open 9am-5pm. Does anyone have any idea how much approximately? Michael - I cannot open the link you have supplied. Thanks for any help anyone can give...

Cagger since
    Feb 2008

Quote Originally Posted by green_and_mean View Post
    Thanks for the help but for the umpteenth time I have a gas supply I just need a meter installing, I guess I will just have to phone up for a quote!
    Therefore, G&M, you will still need to get a pipe put into your house. Hope my info helps.

Gold Account Holder
    Help the CAG!!
    Download our toolbar

Cagger since
    May 2006

If you PM me I will get our sales people to contact you for a no obligation quote. I do not work for any of the big 5. We are a small independent supplier.

Gold Account Holder
    Help the CAG!!
    Download our toolbar
    Bigmac versus Authoritative Bigmac versus Authoritative Bigmac versus Authoritative Bigmac versus Authoritative Bigmac versus Authoritative Bigmac versus Authoritative Bigmac versus Authoritative Bigmac versus Authoritative

Cagger since
    Jun 2006

Hi green and mean you will need to fill out an application form before they come out, when they come out it is usually around 4 to 6 weeks after receiving this form and the AVERAGE costs are between 300 to 600.
    They will only fit the meter and cap the outlet, the outlet into your house would be your corgi fitters work.

Cagger since
    Feb 2008

Quote Originally Posted by Bigmac versus View Post
    Hi green and mean you will need to fill out an application form before they come out, when they come out it is usually around 4 to 6 weeks after receiving this form and the AVERAGE costs are between 300 to 600.
    They will only fit the meter and cap the outlet, the outlet into your house would be your corgi fitters work.
    ......and the CORGI fitters cannot book you in until you get confirmation that you have had the meter installed....

Gold Account Holder
    Help the CAG!!
    Download our toolbar
    Bigmac versus Authoritative Bigmac versus Authoritative Bigmac versus Authoritative Bigmac versus Authoritative Bigmac versus Authoritative Bigmac versus Authoritative Bigmac versus Authoritative Bigmac versus Authoritative

Cagger since
    Jun 2006

Yes but you will get plenty of notice for this date.

Gold Account Holder
    Help the CAG!!
    Download our toolbar

Cagger since
    Jun 2006

Also after the supply and box is fitted your supplier will fit the meter.

You need to choose your supplier.

Site Team dx100uk Highly authoritative dx100uk Highly authoritative dx100uk Highly authoritative dx100uk Highly authoritative dx100uk Highly authoritative dx100uk Highly authoritative dx100uk Highly authoritative dx100uk Highly authoritative dx100uk Highly authoritative dx100uk Highly authoritative dx100uk Highly authoritative dx100uk's Avatar

Cagger since
    Dec 2006
    I am in
    a sort of fire-fighting role here. Hate HFC & their compulsory PPI ethos

got one done by gritish bas in nov 07 cost 425

dx

Basic Account Holder infinityplusone Novitiate

Cagger since
    May 2008

I am new: how do I PM Surfer01 please? I need to be connected to gas, including getting some trenched pipework as I am about 60m from the nearest gas main.

Any other advice about doing this would also be appreciated. Thanks.

Royalties Account Holder
    Help the CAG!!
    Download our toolbar
    buzby Highly informative buzby Highly informative buzby Highly informative buzby Highly informative buzby Highly informative buzby Highly informative buzby Highly informative buzby Highly informative buzby's Avatar

Cagger since
    Jun 2006
    I am in
    Scotland

If you dig the trench yourself, you can save nearly 150 on the cost (they backfill for free!). I had to use Transco, and pat 425 up front for the connection. I was given a date 7 weeks in advance for the work to be completed. Due to scheduling problems, Transco missed 3 hook-up dates, and I ended up being paid compensation. They ended up paying ME 25 for the gas hook-up!

Basic Account Holder infinityplusone Novitiate

Cagger since
    May 2008

I have been quoted 17000 (seventeen THOUSAND pounds!!!!) by Fulcrum to install gas at my house.

I then got a quote from a local firm to just dig the trench, which was only about 1500, less than the a tenth the cost. So I have a very very poor opinion of Fulcrum as I am sceptical that connecting the pipe to the main really merits the extra 15500.

So saving 150 on the 17000 bill would not have me jumping for joy.

I'm curious - what did Transco do for the 425? Did they dig the road up (or tunnel under it) to get to the gas main? How far were you from the gas main - was it less than ten meters please?

Follows
    Following

Viewing CAG on a small screen? Switch to the mobile version of the site

Reclaim the Right Ltd. - reg.05783665 in the UK reg. office:- 923 Finchley Road London NW11 7PE