Flat flood as a result of contractor error!

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5924 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Morning all.

We recently had water coming in through our ceilling as a result of a contractor (who had been installing insulation) treading on a pipe and breaking it. The contractor was working on behalf of a Stair Partnership and was carrying out communal works. The Stair Partnership were contacted and sent folk round very quickly and the leak was mended. A rep of the contractors then said to wait for everything to dry and he's be round to sort out redecorating etc. However when I spoke to the Stair Partnership, they said the contractor was only liable for the damage to the building/decoration rather than damage to any goods as result of the leak (i.e. a rug, cushions etc...) and that i'd have to claim through my own insurors. If I claim through my own insurance then i'll more than likely have to pay something and my premiums will go up - how is this right?

ANy advice would be greatly received...

However when I spoke to the Stair Partnership, they said the contractor was only liable for the damage to the building/decoration rather than damage to any goods as result of the leak (i.e. a rug, cushions etc...) and that i'd have to claim through my own insurors. If I claim through my own insurance then i'll more than likely have to pay something and my premiums will go up - how is this right?

The comtractor is wholly and fully liable for all costs involved in rectifying his negligence.

You do not have to claim on your insurer (would they simple wash their hands if you didn't have contents insurance - it isn't compulsory). Even if you did claim, all that would happen is that the contractor would be further out of pocket as your insurer would go after him to recover their costs