Statutory Demand from Direct Collections Ltd

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4660 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Despite my offer for a payment plan to clear this outsdanding sum DCL have hit me with a Statutory Demand. I have 5 days to respond and will do so tonight. Before I do I wanted to check out with you guys.

The sum is for unpaid rent and the amount is in dispute. The landlords afre trying to claim 3 months rent which includes the whole of the last month. We left the property on the 20th of the month and by our calculations the amount should be less 10 days rent pro rata. Also, the landlord still has our deposit as security (around 40% of the disputed amount)

is the fact that the amount is in dispute reason enough to get the SD set aside and secondly, is the fact that they have not deducted their security deposit from the total amount reason enough to get the amount set aside.

Also - I will be in a position to settle the outstanding amount over the next 2 months.

it seems a bit arbitary - there is no CCA strategy I can fall back on

please can you let me know the best approach

I know SDs are heavy handed scare tactics but I don't want to ignore this.

My strategy after getting it set aside will be to pay the landlords (not DCL) the outstanding amount less £750 and less the security deposit the are retaining.

according to the Insolvency Service website I need to complete form 6.5 in order to apply to get it set aside - only they don't have a form 6.5 on the website and their phones go though to an outsourced debt management company who can't assist

Another question...

The debt was run up whilst we were living in England but for the last 8 months we have been living in Scotland. The SD they have sent us is unclear which court they are pursuing us in but as it deons't talk about sequestration I'm guessing they are pursuing us through an English court.

It also seems t be a lot more expensive for them to petition for sequestration rather than to prtition for bankrupcy.

any ideas?

What might they want to sequester? Are you now a homeowner or are you still a tenant? If you have no assets I would simply tell them this and invite them to bankrupt you - it'll cost them over a grand with costs and will guarantee they never even get paid a penny of the original debt:rolleyes:.

"Why CCJ when you can CCA!"

• 3 years later...
Another question...

The debt was run up whilst we were living in England but for the last 8 months we have been living in Scotland. The SD they have sent us is unclear which court they are pursuing us in but as it deons't talk about sequestration I'm guessing they are pursuing us through an English court.

It also seems t be a lot more expensive for them to petition for sequestration rather than to prtition for bankrupcy.

any ideas?

they can take you to court where the rent was due eg england - english court