Car Keys replacement

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5938 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

My house was broken into before xmas and the cars keys were stolen, amongst other things. Luckily, they didn't steal my car, just the keys. As appropriate I rang the insurance to pick up the cars (incase the thief returned) and arranged for locks to be changed.

However the insurance wants me to pay 1/2 the cost of replacing the locks. There is no details about this in my policy document. The insurer's repairer has told me to look into this too. In his words it is 'naughty' and he has not come across this before.

When I rang the insurance to ask where this was included in my policy, the only answer was "it was in their discretion on how to deal with claims, that part". I looked at the policy document and its definately not in there.

I will have to pay something to get my car back in the first instance and then follow with a complaint to Tesco insurance and then to the Financial ombusdman.

Any advice out there?

Hi there,

This isn't something I've come across either but I don't usually deal with claims as I'm in CSD.

I'll check out our policy wording tomorrow for you and post back as soon as i find out what's going on.

DA

If you find the advice I give is useful, then please feel free to click the scales :)

"It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt" :)

It sounds to me to be rather typical spin to reduce paying out what is rightfully due to you. I am currently looking at the viability of taking my insurer to small claims court over another situation where the insurer is arguing what I believe to be a fallacious strategy that clearly is aimed at cheating me out of an insured claim.

I think they probably do this in untold numbers of cases simply because in a large number of them people swallow their story or can't be bothered to fight.

Fight the b*st*rds I say.

Shoestring

I had a quick chat with a colleague on our claims team, she said that obviously without looking at the policy she cant comment on this specific case, but generally speaking she cant she any reason why we would ask a customer to pay half towards the damage.

The only deduction you might have is your policy XS so its possible that this is being deducted from the claim and its just coincidence that it works out to be half of the pay out.

Have a look through your motor insurance schedule, that will confirm what your policy XS's are and you'll know where you stand.

DA

If you find the advice I give is useful, then please feel free to click the scales :)

"It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt" :)

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, we went through the same thing when our house was broken into, the theifs nicked Julie's keys to her car. She called her car insurance who told her it would not be covered on her policy and that because they we taken from the house, that it would come under your household insurance policy. We had such problems with our home insurance company at the time which was the Woolwich, in the end I got Julie to deal with it. So she took over, in her first phone call to them, this was on the second day of trying to get things sorted, she told them that either started to get things replaced or that she was going to make a complaint about them. within half an hour we had a sup on the phone telling us to goto comet to pick up our new tv and video, we had our sky replaced a day later and they also paid for the locks to be changed on Julie's car.

Hope this helps it should be claimed on under your house insurance, if they don't play ball, threaten to goto the insurance ombudsman,that normally gets them into gear.

If what we say helps you, then please tip the scales.:cool:

When I rang the insurance to ask where this was included in my policy, the only answer was "it was in their discretion on how to deal with claims, that part".
Fee-fi-fo-fum, I smell some insurer's bull. :rolleyes:

It is not "at their discretion", it is what it says on the paperwork.

Ask them to put this in writing, and tell them you want them to say in the letter if this is their final decision, as you will then proceed to the FOS for adjudication in the matter.

I am not a betting woman, but I wouldn't be surprised if they backtracked really quickly rather than commit themselves to that statement in writing and have it taken to the Ombudsman. :razz:

Many thanks for all your advice. Haven't progressed this yet. Still waiting for my car to be repaired. Audi do not seem to have door locks for an Audi A4 for the last 3 weeks anywhere in the country and don't know when they'll have some more. Gotta sort out the franchised dealer 1st before I get onto the insurance company.

Foolish, as I said before when they nicked my car keys and I only had one set to the car.

My house insurance paid out, because at the time they were taken they were in the house and as my car insurance company said at the time, They should be covered by your household insurance under your personal items cover, our household insurance is always all singing all dancing, and they replaced my keys. You didn't lose them outside in the street, they were taken from your house, so you claim under your household insurance.

I know this, because I had to do it 8years ago.And it took my local Fiat dealer 3 three weeks to get the right set of locks for my car. So I now how you feel.

If what we say helps you, then please tip the scales.:cool:

The part about 'it's our discretion how we deal with claim' is completely irrelevant. I mean, an insurer could use that little gem to get out of or impose 'special' terms to EVERY claim!!

Read your policy and I think you'll find that this part of the wording relates to whether they write your vehicle off, repair it or pay you in cash the cost of repairs. It is not an open quote which they can use on a whim to explain every decision they make.

Call them back, request to speak to someone higher. Then complain. Tell them you will go to the FOS. Don't make empty threats; if they try fobbing you off and don't pay the other 50%, go to the FOS.