Norwich Union - Urgent

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5921 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

After missing a direct debit payment in November, Norwich Union cancelled my policy. After spending around 45 minutes talking to an advisor (based in india), I was able to persuade them to reinstate the policy on condition that I make a debit card payment. I agreed I would be able to the following Friday.

I received the cancellation notice in the post, and on the same day received the reinstated policy certificate.

I called the following Friday to make the payment and was told everything was now up to date.

Today I was told that the policy is had been cancelled and backdated to 15th December, as I did not make make the payment on the following Wednesday. Although the following Friday was the agreed date for payment.

They will not listen to the call and are refusing to help, other than start a fresh policy, which means paying 2 months upfront. Im only 23 driving an astra coupe so the payments are quite high.

If the reinstated policy had been cancelled should they not have told me this in writting? and can they refuse to listen back on calls if it was to prove me right?

This has left me in a slight mess as I obviously cant drive my car. I live in Liverpool and work almost 30 miles away in Warrington.

Unfortunately, I don't think you will get far. Not only that but you may find that you may have been driving illegally.

It is a condition of motor insurance that payments, if paying monthly, are kept up to date, otherwise your cover will expire.

Regardless of what a call centre person has, or hasn't said, the fact that you lapsed your payments is the significant factor here.

If you ended up in court what can you say? 'The call centre said it was ok to miss a payment...'

They didnt say I could miss a payment, but said that if I paid the missed payment by card then my policy would be reinstated, The reinstated policy was confirmed in writting but seems that they didnt actually reinstate it.

Best get urself some insurance for your car, in the terms of paying by instalments, missing one payment will invaildate the policy, and full payment will become payable, or the policy will be terminated....

Its never easy having insurance when your young and have a big or expensive car, hence driving a smaller/cheaper car in the 1st couple of years of driving, keeps the insurance costs down, and when no claims points have been earned, this will help when coming to getting a bigger car in time....

Start your insurance with another provider, there will ask if you have had past insurance declined etc which you will have to state yes due to the cancellation.. It doesnt pay to use white lies to gain cheap car insurance as it will bite you on the bottom in the long run..

Set up the derict debit for them to take the mthly payments, and make sure the money is there each mth, otherwise you wil have the same happen again, which wouldnt be good....Happy and safe driving to you...

!2 years Tesco distribution supervisor

7 years Sainsburys Transport Manager

4 Years housing officer ( Lettings )

Partner... 23 Years social services depts

All advice is given through own opition, also by seeking/searching info on behalf of poster, and own personnel dealings.

This is probably better off moved to the insurance/assurance companies section where there's more of us "insurance gurus" floating around.

E.G 'beccus' who's a customer relations manager for Norwich Union.

Anywho, first thing you need to do is log an official complaint with NU. They are regulated by the FSA same as the rest of the industry so they are legally obliged to investigate and get back to you within 10 days. If that means them getting off their lazy arses and listening to some calls, then so be it.

If you dont have any luck there, then you can escalate this to the next stage which is customer relations who will defiantly sort this out for you as the stage after this is FSA which costs the company money plus is also a lot of ballache for them.

At the end of the day, it all comes down to how much you want to stand your ground, I agree that you brought this on yourself by missing your payments in the first place, but if they've agreed something and then backed down on it without telling you then you're left out of pocket and without cover.

Hope this helps

DA

If you find the advice I give is useful, then please feel free to click the scales :)

"It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt" :)

At NU calls are always recorded, so if you write to the Customer Relations department they should be able to arrange for someone to listen to the call and find out what the adviser said.

I broadly agree with what Darkangelsdelite's comment, although the FSA time-limit for companies to acknowledge complaints is actually now 5 days.

I agree it is bad service of an adviser to say they will re-instate a policy then to change their mind without giving any warning. I'm not sure why they are refusing to listen to the call - if you go through the official complaints procedure they would have to listen to the call at some point anyway.

I have sent Beccus a PM to ask her to look at this thread.

There is also complaints form on the website at Existing customer by Norwich Union: Making a complaint and it tells you about the complaints procedure there as well.

I hope this will be resolved soon. :)

Guest Aviva Support

jd0s1

hi, i'd like to see what we can do for you on this policy, but I will need some more details if possible, we can try and get calls listened to as has already been mentioned and also see what we can do to make sure you are covered.

You can either email me directly ([email protected]) or PM me here if you prefer.

Becca

BTW thier costs escatlate for each level the complaint goes to, it may make economic sense for them to pay you off as it were ie comply with yuor request.

The views I express here are mere speculation based on my experience. I am not qualified nor insured to give legal advice and any action you take will be at your own risk.