Patricia Pearl - Small Claims Procedure - A Practical Guide

An excellent guide for the layperson in how to use the County Court - a must if you are intending to start a claim.

£19.99 + £1.50 (P&P)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2
1 2 LastLast
    Basic Account Holder 1stlifeline Novitiate

Follow Real_CAG on Twitter

Cagger since
    Feb 2007
    I am in
    The wet North West

Default When is a debt statute barred?

I understand that a debt becomes statute barredicon after 6 years but when does the 6 year period start.
    Is it from the last payment made, the last letter received or the date it goes into dispute?

Similar Threads:

Royalties Account Holder
    Help the CAG!!
    Download our toolbar
    Michael Browne Highly authoritative Michael Browne Highly authoritative Michael Browne Highly authoritative Michael Browne Highly authoritative Michael Browne Highly authoritative Michael Browne Highly authoritative Michael Browne Highly authoritative Michael Browne Highly authoritative Michael Browne Highly authoritative Michael Browne Highly authoritative Michael Browne Highly authoritative

Cagger since
    Apr 2006

Default Re: When is a debt statute barred?

As I understand it from the last date that the debt was acknowledged in any way by you, whether it be a payment or letter

Royalties Account Holder
    Help the CAG!!
    Download our toolbar
    ODC Highly authoritative ODC Highly authoritative ODC Highly authoritative ODC Highly authoritative ODC Highly authoritative ODC Highly authoritative ODC Highly authoritative ODC Highly authoritative ODC Highly authoritative ODC Highly authoritative ODC Highly authoritative

Cagger since
    Feb 2007

Unfortunately some of the DCAs do not appear to have grasped this concept.

Platinum Account Holder
    Help the CAG!!
    Make a donation
    The GodMother Authoritative The GodMother Authoritative The GodMother Authoritative The GodMother Authoritative The GodMother Authoritative The GodMother Authoritative The GodMother Authoritative The GodMother Authoritative The GodMother Authoritative The GodMother Authoritative The GodMother Authoritative The GodMother's Avatar

Cagger since
    Sep 2007
    I am in
    Yankee candle land.

It does depand but normally it is,

when last payment was made,
    when you last acknowledged a letter buy writing back to them,
    or after a CCJ or other means of enforcement that you have acknowledged.

The 6 yearsicon in England start then but in Scotland it is 5 years from the above.

Chrissi

OFT debt collection guidance

Please remember the only stupid question is the one you dont ask so dont worry about asking the stupid questions.

Essex girl in pc world looking 4 curtains 4 her pc,the assistant says u dont need curtains 4 a computer!!Essex girl says,''HELLOOO!! i,ve got WINDOWS!!'.
    Follows
    Following

Classic Account Holder
    Help the CAG!!
    Make a contribution
    make them aktiv runners Highly informative make them aktiv runners Highly informative make them aktiv runners Highly informative make them aktiv runners Highly informative make them aktiv runners Highly informative make them aktiv runners Highly informative make them aktiv runners's Avatar

Cagger since
    Mar 2007

Quote Originally Posted by The GodMother View Post

The 6 yearsicon in England start then but in Scotland it is 5 years from the above.

Chrissi
    A CCJ is never extinguished, but after 6 years (5 Scotland) they can only enforce by a further successful application to court.

Basic Account Holder Hippy-chick Highly informative Hippy-chick Highly informative Hippy-chick Highly informative Hippy-chick Highly informative Hippy-chick Highly informative Hippy-chick Highly informative Hippy-chick's Avatar

Cagger since
    Sep 2007
    I am in
    Over the rainbow

The 6 years in England start then but in Scotland it is 5 years from the above.

Chrissi
    Well ... I believe that it is 5 years for statute barredicon in Scotland UNLESS there is a CCJ. But not after this. Look at page 2 of this. If they have a CCJ it's 20 years.

http://www.bdl.org.uk/images/Prescri...and)%20Act.pdf

At least that's how I read this - am I wrong?

Any help and advice is offered in good faith, based solely on my own knowledge and on experience gathered from this site. I am not qualified to offer legal or financial advice, which you should seek from an expert before making any important decisions. My opinions are therefore offered without liability.

If I've been helpful, please click my scales.
    Follows
    Following

Classic Account Holder
    Help the CAG!!
    Make a contribution
    make them aktiv runners Highly informative make them aktiv runners Highly informative make them aktiv runners Highly informative make them aktiv runners Highly informative make them aktiv runners Highly informative make them aktiv runners Highly informative make them aktiv runners's Avatar

Cagger since
    Mar 2007

Not Scottish, but the 20 years appears to imply to debt outside the CCA(see paragraph above the 20 years being mentioned).

Basic Account Holder Hippy-chick Highly informative Hippy-chick Highly informative Hippy-chick Highly informative Hippy-chick Highly informative Hippy-chick Highly informative Hippy-chick Highly informative Hippy-chick's Avatar

Cagger since
    Sep 2007
    I am in
    Over the rainbow

Well - we need Rory here - as I'm not sure - and, as you know I'm English but live in Scotland and have done for many years. And my understanding is that, once there is a CCJ, it does not go away. So it's 5 years till it's stat barred (that's what the paragraph above refers to), but 20 years once there is a CCJ.

I don't read anything in this as having anything to do with the CCA.

Any help and advice is offered in good faith, based solely on my own knowledge and on experience gathered from this site. I am not qualified to offer legal or financial advice, which you should seek from an expert before making any important decisions. My opinions are therefore offered without liability.

Follows
    Following

Classic Account Holder
    Help the CAG!!
    Make a contribution

Cagger since
    Mar 2007

CCJ doe not go away, but in England the limitation acticon requires further action to be by the court. The information guide in your post seems to read 5 or 20 years ( 5 applying to CCA and 20 to mortgageicon).

I agree, Rory knows best as it is his area.

Royalties Account Holder
    Help the CAG!!
    Download our toolbar
    rory32 Authoritative rory32 Authoritative rory32 Authoritative rory32 Authoritative rory32 Authoritative rory32 Authoritative rory32 Authoritative rory32 Authoritative rory32 Authoritative rory32 Authoritative rory32 Authoritative

Cagger since
    Jun 2006
    I am in
    Scotland

A decree is the Scottish equivalent of a CCJ. Our laws on enforcement are slightly different though. If you have a decree granted against someone owing you money you have up to 20 years to start enforcing the decree. Whether the debt is covered by the CCA or not is irrelevant. CCJ's (as far as a know) do not ever go away but after 6 yearsicon of not enforcing the CCJ you would need to apply to the court for re-enforcement of the CCJ and have a valid reason why you have not previously enforced it.

Classic Account Holder
    Help the CAG!!
    Make a contribution

Cagger since
    Mar 2007

CheersRory. And merry xmas.

Cagger since
    Sep 2007
    I am in
    Over the rainbow

Well, that's my homework for tomorrow. As I'm pretty sure, and I think this factsheet makes it clear.

But I'll go and check it out for myself.

Anyway -hijack over.

I understand that a debt becomes statute barredicon after 6 years but when does the 6 year period start.
    Is it from the last payment made, the last letter received or the date it goes into dispute?
    From the last written acknowledgement by you, as Michael said.

Follows
    Following

Royalties Account Holder
    Help the CAG!!
    Download our toolbar
    rory32 Authoritative rory32 Authoritative rory32 Authoritative rory32 Authoritative rory32 Authoritative rory32 Authoritative rory32 Authoritative rory32 Authoritative rory32 Authoritative rory32 Authoritative rory32 Authoritative

Cagger since
    Jun 2006
    I am in
    Scotland

And to you too Aktiv

Cagger since
    Sep 2007
    I am in
    Over the rainbow

Thanks again rory - and happy christmas to all of you (was typing my answer as rory posted- as ever, he's quicker than me)

Follows
    Following

Basic Account Holder Rahl Novitiate

Cagger since
    Sep 2007

What happens if you never make a single payment or make any kind of written acknowledgement , does that mean the statute barredicon clock has never began to tick and that it is an enforceable debt even decades later if you never made at least one initial payment ( or acknowledgement) ?

Or can signing the cca be construed as written acknowledgment of the debt and dated from there ?

If it is dated from the date of the cause of action , what happens if no default is ever registered , you can defend by data protection laws rather than limitations act ?

What reason have ever been found valid in court for a re-inforcement of a ccj after 6 years ? I can imagine if you went into hiding and were no longer contactable could be used as a valid reason , but are there any others ? Could a creditor say for example that it was not economical to pursue the ccj whilst the debtor had no assets, but now 10 years later he has inherited a sizeable estate and we want a charging order placed upon that ?

Follows
    Following

Platinum Account Holder
    Help the CAG!!
    Make a donation
    The GodMother Authoritative The GodMother Authoritative The GodMother Authoritative The GodMother Authoritative The GodMother Authoritative The GodMother Authoritative The GodMother Authoritative The GodMother Authoritative The GodMother Authoritative The GodMother Authoritative The GodMother Authoritative The GodMother's Avatar

Cagger since
    Sep 2007
    I am in
    Yankee candle land.

Well i am guessing that as a result of you never making payment then the debt is SB from 6 yearsicon after first payment due.

You dont signicon CCA requests with your handwritten signature.
    You just type or use a digital signature.

Please remember the only stupid question is the one you dont ask so dont worry about asking the stupid questions.

Essex girl in pc world looking 4 curtains 4 her pc,the assistant says u dont need curtains 4 a computer!!Essex girl says,''HELLOOO!! i,ve got WINDOWS!!'.
    Follows
    Following

Platinum Account Holder
    Help the CAG!!
    Make a donation

Cagger since
    Sep 2007
    I am in
    Yankee candle land.

6 yearsicon ia 6 years they cant get any type of order/CCJ if the debt is over 6 years

Follows
    Following

Royalties Account Holder
    Help the CAG!!
    Download our toolbar
    pt2537 Highly authoritative pt2537 Highly authoritative pt2537 Highly authoritative pt2537 Highly authoritative pt2537 Highly authoritative pt2537 Highly authoritative pt2537 Highly authoritative pt2537 Highly authoritative pt2537 Highly authoritative pt2537 Highly authoritative pt2537 Highly authoritative

Cagger since
    Jan 2007

6 years ia 6 years they cant get any type of order/CCJ if the debt is over 6 years
    Not quite true, if a action is brought against a statute barredicon debt and the action is not defended then the court can award judgment by default

once this occurs you have an uphill struggle to get a CCJ set asideicon IMHO

Gold Account Holder
    Help the CAG!!
    Download our toolbar
    tomterm8 Authoritative tomterm8 Authoritative tomterm8 Authoritative tomterm8 Authoritative tomterm8 Authoritative tomterm8 Authoritative tomterm8 Authoritative tomterm8 Authoritative tomterm8 Authoritative tomterm8 Authoritative tomterm8 Authoritative tomterm8's Avatar

Cagger since
    Apr 2007

Quote Originally Posted by Rahl View Post
    What happens if you never make a single payment or make any kind of written acknowledgement , does that mean the statute barredicon clock has never began to tick and that it is an enforceable debt even decades later if you never made at least one initial payment ( or acknowledgement) ?
    The limitation period will start on the demand for payment, or when the debt becomes due.

Or can signing the cca be construed as written acknowledgment of the debt and dated from there ?
    Um... well, normally, the signing of the CCA will occur before the first payment becomes due, and so will not be the start of any limitation period.

If it is dated from the date of the cause of action , what happens if no default is ever registered , you can defend by data protection laws rather than limitations act ?
    This is irrelevant, see above. the cause of action will be the first time they could default you, the fact they chose not to is effectively irrelevant.

What reason have ever been found valid in court for a re-inforcement of a ccj after 6 years ?

There is a difference between reinforcement of a CCJ and original judgement. A CCJ is never spent, and the court could enforce it at their discretion even after 6 years has passed, although no further judgement may be awarded based on the CCJ after that time.

they would need to show valid reason it took so long. all the reasons you state might be valid reasons to ask for permission, but the court would consider all factors.

I can imagine if you went into hiding and were no longer contactable could be used as a valid reason , but are there any others ? Could a creditor say for example that it was not economical to pursue the ccj whilst the debtor had no assets, but now 10 years later he has inherited a sizeable estate and we want a charging order placed upon that ?
    Do you already have a CCJ?

i will be off site for the next month or so. if you have any problems, feel free to report the post so a moderator can help you.

I am not a qualified or practicing lawyer.
    Follows
    Following

Platinum Account Holder
    Help the CAG!!
    Make a donation

Cagger since
    Sep 2007
    I am in
    Yankee candle land.

I was going on the fact that u would defend the action so they would not be able to get a CCJ.

Follows
    Following

Viewing CAG on a small screen? Switch to the mobile version of the site

Reclaim the Right Ltd. - reg.05783665 in the UK reg. office:- 923 Finchley Road London NW11 7PE