Patricia Pearl - Small Claims Procedure - A Practical Guide

An excellent guide for the layperson in how to use the County Court - a must if you are intending to start a claim.

£19.99 + £1.50 (P&P)

BAILIFFS - The Law and Your Rights

Written by John Kruse, one of the leading experts on Bailiff Law, this consumer friendly guide is essential reading for anyone who comes into contact with a bailiff.

The book is easy to understand and clearly explains the rights a bailiff has, and also what they cannot do when collecting debts and repossessing goods etc.

£13.95 + £2.00 (P&P)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 8
1 2 3 ... LastLast
    Basic Account Holder leroist Novitiate

Follow Real_CAG on Twitter

Cagger since
    Dec 2007
    I am in
    birmingham, sheldon

Question bought a car saturday afternoon no tax supplyed are you able to drive it around?

when i bought my car from a dealer they said they do not tax vechicles they sell. this was on a saturday afternoon so i could only tax it on monday, i had the rest of my particulars, insurance etc was i still legal to drive? i have been unable to find out any were else.

Similar Threads:

Royalties Account Holder
    Help the CAG!!
    Download our toolbar
    barracad Authoritative barracad Authoritative barracad Authoritative barracad Authoritative barracad Authoritative barracad Authoritative barracad Authoritative barracad Authoritative barracad Authoritative barracad Authoritative barracad Authoritative barracad's Avatar

Cagger since
    Mar 2006
    I am in
    (near) Stoke on Trent

Default Re: bought a car saturday afternoon no tax supplyed are you able to drive it around?

No.

You can't put a car on the public highway unless it is taxed.

Opinions given herein are made informally by myself as a lay-person in good faith based on personal experience. For legal advice you must always consult a registered and insured lawyer.

"Some people say The Stig chews on spark plugs and drifts while walking. Some say he is terrified of ducks, and that there is an airport in Russia named after him. All we know is that he is really barracad from The Consumer Action Group" - Jeremy Clarkson (allegedly)

www.unsubscribe-me.org

www.LOVEstoke.org
    Follows
    Following

Classic Account Holder
    Help the CAG!!
    Make a contribution
    make them aktiv runners Highly informative make them aktiv runners Highly informative make them aktiv runners Highly informative make them aktiv runners Highly informative make them aktiv runners Highly informative make them aktiv runners Highly informative make them aktiv runners's Avatar

Cagger since
    Mar 2007

Default Re: bought a car saturday afternoon no tax supplyed are you able to drive it around?

As far as I know, dealers are not allowed to release the car without all the legal documentation. I bought one several years ago and the dealer took me to the PO for a tax disc for the reason stated.

Classic Account Holder
    Help the CAG!!
    Make a contribution
    MilkTrayMan Authoritative MilkTrayMan Authoritative MilkTrayMan Authoritative MilkTrayMan Authoritative MilkTrayMan Authoritative MilkTrayMan Authoritative MilkTrayMan Authoritative MilkTrayMan Authoritative MilkTrayMan Authoritative MilkTrayMan Authoritative MilkTrayMan Authoritative

Cagger since
    Nov 2006

NOT having your car taxed, when on a public highway, also invalidates your insurance...

Was there NO P.O. open in Brum on a Sat afternoon??...

Basic Account Holder leicesterlad Novitiate

Cagger since
    Dec 2007

not having car tax is NOT a criminal offence it is a civil offence. afaik no post office opens past 12.30 on a saturday and it is the customers responsibility to make sure all the documentation is in order before the vehicle is used on the public highway un less it is a brand new vehicle

Quote Originally Posted by leicesterlad View Post
    not having car tax is NOT a criminal offence it is a civil offence.
    The police say they don't get involved in civil matters.

Gold Account Holder
    Help the CAG!!
    Download our toolbar
    patdavies Authoritative patdavies Authoritative patdavies Authoritative patdavies Authoritative patdavies Authoritative patdavies Authoritative patdavies Authoritative patdavies Authoritative patdavies Authoritative

Cagger since
    Aug 2006

not having car tax is NOT a criminal offence it is a civil offence.
    There are two distinct offences

No VED is a civil offence and is pursued by DVLA.

Failure to display VED (regardless of whether you have a disk or not) is a criminal offence and is dealt with by the Police - usually 30 non-endorsement FPN.

Gold Account Holder
    Help the CAG!!
    Download our toolbar
    patdavies Authoritative patdavies Authoritative patdavies Authoritative patdavies Authoritative patdavies Authoritative patdavies Authoritative patdavies Authoritative patdavies Authoritative patdavies Authoritative

Cagger since
    Aug 2006

Quote Originally Posted by MilkTrayMan View Post
    NOT having your car taxed, when on a public highway, also invalidates your insurance...
    Urban myth. Insurance is not invalidated by not having VED or MoT.

Cagger since
    Dec 2007
    I am in
    birmingham, sheldon

Quote Originally Posted by MilkTrayMan View Post

Was there NO P.O. open in Brum on a Sat afternoon??...

i had to collect the car from wednesbury at bout 4pm by the time back in brum all is closed

Cagger since
    Dec 2007
    I am in
    birmingham, sheldon

Exclamation Re: bought a car saturday afternoon no tax supplyed are you able to drive it around?

not having car tax is NOT a criminal offence it is a civil offence. afaik no post office opens past 12.30 on a saturday and it is the customers responsibility to make sure all the documentation is in order before the vehicle is used on the public highway un less it is a brand new vehicle

2001 car so obviously not brand new, i was'nt coverd then

Cagger since
    Dec 2007
    I am in
    birmingham, sheldon

Question Re: bought a car saturday afternoon no tax supplyed are you able to drive it around?

Quote Originally Posted by make them aktiv runners View Post
    As far as I know, dealers are not allowed to release the car without all the legal documentation. I bought one several years ago and the dealer took me to the PO for a tax disc for the reason stated.

can any body be sure about this because i might use this in my defence in a on going issue i have with them, need to be sure though

Basic Account Holder rogerebaker Informative rogerebaker Informative rogerebaker Informative rogerebaker's Avatar

Cagger since
    Apr 2006

Ive bought a number of cars from dealers and they sometimes dont have tax.

The reality of the situiation is you run the risk of a FPN for No VEL but thats the risk you take. It certainly doesnt invalidate your insurance.

7 actions in progress

amount refunded so far 6500
    Follows
    Following

Basic Account Holder gwc1000 Informative gwc1000 Informative gwc1000 Informative

Cagger since
    Jun 2006

Quote Originally Posted by leroist View Post
    can any body be sure about this because i might use this in my defence in a on going issue i have with them, need to be sure though
    I have been a second hand car dealer for nearly thirty years now and I have never heard anything like that before. As soon as you, the customer hand the money over the vehicle becomes your property and your responsibility. Liability for a RFL lies with you. In fact I always put the time of day by the date on the invoice so I get no nasty surprises in the post. What I sometimes do if the customer has off road parking at home is to run the vehicle home for them on trade plates and the rest is up to them. There are some post offices that are open Saturday afternoons for road tax, we have one locally that is open till 6pm Monday to Saturday. You should have left the car at the dealers and returned for it when you had the road tax. Many dealers will not tax a car for customers simply because more often than not the customer hasn't changed his insurance and they want the dealer to use his trade policy, but then we never can be sure that the customer will actually insure the car. Every vehicle I send to auctionicon has no road tax (any outstanding I always apply for a refund) some have no MoT some have no logbook some might have no paperwork at all, so to say dealers cannot sell a car without all it's documentation I would suggest is ridiculous.

Basic Account Holder advisee Novitiate

Cagger since
    Dec 2007

Quote Originally Posted by barracad View Post
    No.

You can't put a car on the public highway unless it is taxed.
    Unless travelling to/from a pre-arranged MOT appointment or for repair work after failing an MOT, or to comply with the instruction of a police officer (if I recall correctly).

Cagger since
    Dec 2007

Quote Originally Posted by gwc1000 View Post
    I have been a second hand car dealer for nearly thirty years now and I have never heard anything like that before. As soon as you, the customer hand the money over the vehicle becomes your property and your responsibility. Liability for a RFL lies with you. In fact I always put the time of day by the date on the invoice so I get no nasty surprises in the post. What I sometimes do if the customer has off road parking at home is to run the vehicle home for them on trade plates and the rest is up to them. There are some post offices that are open Saturday afternoons for road tax, we have one locally that is open till 6pm Monday to Saturday. You should have left the car at the dealers and returned for it when you had the road tax. Many dealers will not tax a car for customers simply because more often than not the customer hasn't changed his insurance and they want the dealer to use his trade policy, but then we never can be sure that the customer will actually insure the car. Every vehicle I send to auctionicon has no road tax (any outstanding I always apply for a refund) some have no MoT some have no logbook some might have no paperwork at all, so to say dealers cannot sell a car without all it's documentation I would suggest is ridiculous.
    Indeed, well said. One question though - dealers taxing cars (using their trade policy) is commonplace. Your bit about "can never be sure the customer will insure the car" - do you say that purely from a sense of community, or is there some kind of obligation upon you?

With the advent of ASKMID it is quite easy to put insurance in place and then be able to tax the vehicle (online if necessary) - though the system can take a little while to be updated.

Basic Account Holder gwc1000 Informative gwc1000 Informative gwc1000 Informative

Cagger since
    Jun 2006

Hi, myself and many dealers that I know are reluctant to tax cars using the trade policy because we take road insurance very seriously. It is as you say due to a sense of community, not obligation. I have read of too many horror stories involving uninsured motorists. Personally I feel that the punishment for such offences makes it sometimes more attractive for the car owner to take a chance and have no insurance.

Cagger since
    Dec 2007

Quote Originally Posted by gwc1000 View Post
    Hi, myself and many dealers that I know are reluctant to tax cars using the trade policy because we take road insurance very seriously. It is as you say due to a sense of community, not obligation. I have read of too many horror stories involving uninsured motorists. Personally I feel that the punishment for such offences makes it sometimes more attractive for the car owner to take a chance and have no insurance.
    Take my hat off to you Sir, I respect that.

Site Team Ell-enn Highly authoritative Ell-enn Highly authoritative Ell-enn Highly authoritative Ell-enn Highly authoritative Ell-enn Highly authoritative Ell-enn Highly authoritative Ell-enn Highly authoritative Ell-enn Highly authoritative Ell-enn Highly authoritative Ell-enn Highly authoritative Ell-enn Highly authoritative Ell-enn's Avatar

Cagger since
    Aug 2007
    I am in
    Yorkshire (ish)

Last time I bought a car from a dealer my insurance company faxed a cover note to them with the registration number of the car I was buying - when I picked up the car it was taxed ( I had to pay for it beforehand).

Help us to keep on helping
    Please consider making a donation, however small, if you have benefited from advice on the forums
    This site is run solely on donations
    My advice is based on my opinion and experience only. It is not to be taken as legal advice - if you are unsure you should seek professional help.
    Follows
    Following

Cagger since
    Dec 2007
    I am in
    birmingham, sheldon

i was given 7 days free days insurance cover which i did use to tax the vehicle so that was not a problem. my point is i was told by the dealer i would be fine over the weekend & not to worrie, i'd be fine if i explaind i just bought the car and was unable to tax it yet. im getting the picture that this was not true and the car should of been taxed befor driven and if caught i would of been liable.

Cagger since
    Jun 2006

I would suggest that the dealer gave bad advice. Having just purchased a car is no defence for having no road tax. You would be liable if pulled up by the police. Obviously some police officers are understanding and would let you on your way, however most would report you to the DVLA.

Viewing CAG on a small screen? Switch to the mobile version of the site

Reclaim the Right Ltd. - reg.05783665 in the UK reg. office:- 923 Finchley Road London NW11 7PE