Please help! Bank/Wages Arrestment - Council Tax

weebaws
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5952 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I've been trying to deal with Scott & Co for the past 6 months in regard to council tax arrears. These total approximately £1400 and I have offered to repay these at £50 which they refuse to entertain. I'm sure some of you will have experience of dealing with these horrific people!

I received a letter today saying they have executed a bank account arrestment and wage arrestment. Frankly I am terrified, does this mean they now have control of my bank account and wages? I have no idea what to do or how i'll be able to make my rent payments, repay other debts or live.

If anyone can offer any help or advice or even point me in the right direction it would be greatly appreciated

First you need to check court records to see if this is actually true.

If you had been taken to court then surely the court would have notified you both before and after. As you appear to be unaware of any action then it is possible you are being fed a few porkies.

Council tax is a serious debt though, not to be ignored. Just in case any action does follow, make sure you have evidence of your offers. Better still, approach the council directly with your offer.

Thanks, that's good news! I'll get in touch with the court. Would it be the sherriff court? Is it a case of just phoning up and asking or would I have to go in?

I'll send a letter to the council recorded delivery offering a repayment plan. I've also emptied my bank account this morning to stop Scott & Co getting their mitts on anything. I realise c tax is serious, I've just got myself into a bit of a whole after losing my job last year but I'm slowly dragging myself out of it. Mortgage arrears had to take priority over the council though I'm afraid.

Called Edinburgh SHeriff Court today, they don't have a specific record relating to me however, they said that the council generally process these things in bulk making them harder to pick up.

I've sent a letter proposing repayment to the council today, hopefully they'll accept. I haven't contacted Scott & Co, the last time I did that all I wanted to do was go to there office and strangle the life out of the arrogant swine I spoke to in their call centre.

Yes weebaws - don't ring them! Do everything in writing.

Any help and advice is offered in good faith, based solely on my own knowledge and on experience gathered from this site. I am not qualified to offer legal or financial advice, which you should seek from an expert before making any important decisions. My opinions are therefore offered without liability.

If I've been helpful, please click my scales. :-)

Have definately learned that lesson - thanks HippyChick!

I'm still very concerned about this wage/bank account arrestment as the court couldn't tell me one way or another and I'm worried it will suddenly just appear (probably just after I'm paid).

Does anyone else have any experience of these?