Patricia Pearl - Small Claims Procedure - A Practical Guide

An excellent guide for the layperson in how to use the County Court - a must if you are intending to start a claim.

£19.99 + £1.50 (P&P)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2
1 2 LastLast
    Basic Account Holder pebs Novitiate pebs's Avatar

Follow Real_CAG on Twitter

Cagger since
    Oct 2007

Default Anyone heard of Castle finance direct?

A while ago I got a letter in the post from this company offering loans, I went online and filled in the application form, now it is not a website at all...just an application. I filled it in and then started getting phone callsicon from all loan companys with horrendous APR so I refused the loan.
    Recently I purchased my credit file and there are lots of searches from all different loan companys so I rang them to see why they were searching my file without my permission, they said they got my details from a broker.

Now if you take a look at [EDIT] you will see its just a basic form and does not state anywhere that they will pass your details on to a 3rd party, nor does it state they are a broker. I thought they were the ones who would provide me with the loan.

I cannot find an address or telephone number listed anywhere for these people and I want to tell them to stop passing my details on.

One company citifinacial searched me 4 times in 8 months but has never offered me anything.

Similar Threads:
    Follows
    Following

Site Team ScarletPimpernel Highly authoritative ScarletPimpernel Highly authoritative ScarletPimpernel Highly authoritative ScarletPimpernel Highly authoritative ScarletPimpernel Highly authoritative ScarletPimpernel Highly authoritative ScarletPimpernel Highly authoritative ScarletPimpernel Highly authoritative ScarletPimpernel Highly authoritative ScarletPimpernel Highly authoritative ScarletPimpernel Highly authoritative ScarletPimpernel's Avatar

Cagger since
    Mar 2007

Default Re: Anyone heard of Castle finance direct?

The website is not compliant with company legislation, and as it stands looks like an identity theft dream.

Googling 'Castle Finance' brings up all sorts of high-APR loan sites. Do you still have the letter? Their address and company registration number would be of interesticon, and help in looking at the best way to stop them.

I'd be inclined to report them to Trading Standards.

Cagger since
    Oct 2007

I cant find the leaflet they sent, I have searched everywhere.

I`ll give trading standards a ring in the morning.

Site Team ScarletPimpernel Highly authoritative ScarletPimpernel Highly authoritative ScarletPimpernel Highly authoritative ScarletPimpernel Highly authoritative ScarletPimpernel Highly authoritative ScarletPimpernel Highly authoritative ScarletPimpernel Highly authoritative ScarletPimpernel Highly authoritative ScarletPimpernel Highly authoritative ScarletPimpernel Highly authoritative ScarletPimpernel Highly authoritative ScarletPimpernel's Avatar

Cagger since
    Mar 2007

A WHOIS reveals that the website is registered to a residential address in Gravesend, Kent, and owned by a sole trader. However, Companies House shows Castle Finance Direct to be a limited company, with a registered address also in Gravesend. As a limited company, the registered number, place of registration and registered office address should be shown on the website.

They are registered with the Information Commissioner and Companies House at:

UNIT 4
    THE MEWS
    WROTHAM ROAD
    MEOPHAM
    GRAVESEND, KENT
    DA13 0QB

Curiously, there doesn't seem to be a phone number anywhere...

Digging about, I discovered that Anthony Clayton, the man behind Castle Finance Direct is also running Wentworth Direct Finance - they share the same address. They were apparently in trouble with the OFT a couple of years ago because of misleading ads. Google the Wentworth firm and you'll find various references to them - none positive. They get paid for passing on your info to loan companies - and also ask for a 'broker's fee'.

They should definately be reported.

Follows
    Following

Cagger since
    Oct 2007

Thank you so much for finding out this information for me

I will definatley be ringing trading standards in the morning.

I just hope there is no identity theft going on, I am annoyed with myself now as I am usually so careful.

Do you think they have broken the data protection act by passing my details on when it does not state anything on the application form about passing details on to 3rd parties?

Cagger since
    Mar 2007

Quote Originally Posted by pebs View Post

Do you think they have broken the data protection act by passing my details on when it does not state anything on the application form about passing details on to 3rd parties?
    Almost certainly. You can ring the Information Commissioner's office helpline for confirmation.

Basic Account Holder Melly31 Novitiate

Cagger since
    Oct 2006
    I am in
    Blackpool, Lancs

For anyone out there who needs info on this company; I just got there leaflet through the post-there telephone number is 0870 421 4834 address:

Castle Finance Direct
    FREEPOST NAT 19327
    Crossways
    Dartford
    Kent
    DA2 6BR

[EDIT]

It does state on the paper application form 'In using our services you are authorising Castle Finance Direct to place your loan with a relevant lender who may credit score your application' in tiny tiny writing at the bottom of the page. Note it says A relevant lender-not multiple lenders!

Although the accompanying letter makes out like the loan comes directly from Castle Finance Direct & states 'PERSONAL UNSECURED LOANS From Castle Fincance Direct' at the top of the leaflet!

There is no registration number anywhere on either application form or accompanying letter?

Follows
    Following

Basic Account Holder maverick9 Novitiate

Cagger since
    Jun 2008
    I am in
    east sussex

i am so glad i googled castle finance before i attempted to even go near them this forum has been an eye opener and the leaflet sent to me has been put through the shredder!

Basic Account Holder hitchin_23 Novitiate

Cagger since
    Jul 2008

i wish i had googled castle finance before i filled in the online form! i checked all the small print and everything do you think there is anyway you can retract an application??? the phone number tells you you can fill out the form of you can go online then it hangs up grrr!!!

Cagger since
    Oct 2006
    I am in
    Blackpool, Lancs

I'd just write to them at the above address telling them that you no longer require the loan that you completed an online application for; send it recorded delivery.
    Have you not heard from them (or anyone) since submitting your application?
    I would have thought that you would need to sign documents/a loan agreement that would be sent by the lender by post before they gave you any money?

Mel

Cagger since
    Jun 2008
    I am in
    east sussex

hitchin23 as long as you have signed no agreement or contract then there is not much to worry about. filling in an on line form does not tie you into anything with this company they have to have a signiture before anything is legally binding. i have checked the site where the form is and it is pretty standard for an online form. if you get any correspondance from them do not signicon anything irregardless of how they word it just ignore them from now on they may try and keep sending you stuff but dont be fooled by them some of these companies can be very underhanded in how they word - unless you put your signiture on anything there is nothing they can do - hope this helps

Cagger since
    Oct 2006
    I am in
    Blackpool, Lancs

Just to add if they do keep sending you correspondance, just return it to sender, that should do the trick.

Mel.

Cagger since
    Jun 2008
    I am in
    east sussex

totally agree with that melly31 but one better is if they send you a load of forms and leaflet with a prepaid envelope just post all thier junk and send it back in thier envelope - that way they get charged for receiving thier own junk mail back - petty i know but it does give you a small degree of satisfaction

Cagger since
    Oct 2006
    I am in
    Blackpool, Lancs

Quote Originally Posted by maverick9 View Post
    totally agree with that melly31 but one better is if they send you a load of forms and leaflet with a prepaid envelope just post all thier junk and send it back in thier envelope - that way they get charged for receiving thier own junk mail back - petty i know but it does give you a small degree of satisfaction
    Ah, what a refreshing change to find someone after my own heart! Lol.

Excellent advice, bravo.

x

Cagger since
    Jun 2008
    I am in
    east sussex

it is nice to know i am not alone!!!!!!!!

Basic Account Holder hackneyman Novitiate

Cagger since
    Aug 2008
    I am in
    nottingham

Everyone be very wary of Castles 'sister' company Wentworth direct finance, they will say that you have already been accepted and then ask you to send a brokers fee of 50, this I stupidly did, only to be passed onto a company that rejected my loan application ! 50 GONE !! I have just sent back the castle form to the Dartford address (Not filled in of course !)

Cagger since
    Oct 2006
    I am in
    Blackpool, Lancs

Just thought I'd post an adequate response that I'd found on other forums regarding Wentworth; this seemed adequate!!!!

Avoid like the plague,
    I got the same letter last year, sent off my cheque, and all I got was more hassles.
    They pass your details on to another 'broker' who then sends out your details to all the high interesticon rate lenders, e.g. citi finance, you then have to take time off work, go to their offices, wait for about 3 hours, only to be told you can have a loan but they will not 'give' you the money, they will contact all the lenders etc. directly, !The interest rates were about 40%, totally stupid,
    I finally got my money back, less 5 administration fee, after complaining and writing several letters, i told them that the letter was misleading, as they only done what i could have done, applied to any old dodgy company, I had so many calls at work from loan companies saying i must call back an 0906 number etc. to get my agreed loan, they could only have got my work number from wentworth,
    sorry to go on but please don't waste your time or money, just bin the letter,
    hope this helps

End of quote!

Mel

x

Cagger since
    Jun 2008
    I am in
    east sussex

do not give up contacting wentworth to get your broker fee back!! they count on messing people around so much that they give up and they get to keep the fee - so be persistant and annoying and you should get your fee back

Cagger since
    Jun 2008
    I am in
    east sussex

just to update on the information about these companies - i have managed to talk to someone who actually fields calls at a central call centre for wentworth. wentworth have no actual phone numbers they do not issue them as they do not want the public to be able to harass them for the shoddy practises they have. anyway i managed to find out that after they have passed your details out to all unsundry they then hold your broker fee for a minimum of six months! how many people would pursue these people when they can not be spoken to for six months this is what they count on to keep your money - so although i did not get any numbers i did get the name of the refund manager so that all correspondance sent goes directly to her and that usually when you write and complain strongly enough then they will refund the money before the six months are up so start writing your complaint letters to
    jenny sheppard
    refunds department
    wentworth direct finance
    freepost sea 9712
    wrotham road
    gravesend
    kent
    DA13 0BR
    good luck to anyone needing this information and i hope you get your money back

Basic Account Holder ZipDee Novitiate

Cagger since
    Jan 2008

Maverick 9

I have just put a copy of your last years post on the current Wentworth Finance postings, hope you don't mind

Viewing CAG on a small screen? Switch to the mobile version of the site

Reclaim the Right Ltd. - reg.05783665 in the UK reg. office:- 923 Finchley Road London NW11 7PE