Experian - Incorrect information

wotnot
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6006 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I have had incorrect information placed on my credit file in the past and it has taken me months to get it removed. How can experian (and others) just take other peoples word that we have defaulted etc. when in some cases we have never had any dealings with the company?

Edited

can you explian what was wrong with what I said?

I'll say it again in fewer words -

How can 'one' put incorrect information on someone else's credit file? Be it a senior person at one of the large utility companies or cc companies etc. and then make them prove it was wrong before I see fit to remove it?

Do i need a consumer credit license or something?

Form your own limited Company. There are firms that will do this for you for about 100 quid if you Google 'Company Formations'. You can have your own registered office at an address you've probably never heard of, and don't even need to visit if you don't want to.

You can then get a Credit license from the OFT for about 485 quid in the name of your limited company, a data processing cert, and then register with the CRA's. You might even want to join an industry body to give your 'firm' some credibility.

Let the fun begin. You can phart about with peoples credit records to your hearts content, hold people to ransom and pursue for that 137.10 they owe for some books/CD's/strippogram they had 4 years ago at a previous address....the world is your lobster.

You only have to hope your victims haven't found CAG yet, and you're on a winner. It's the fastest growing and most successful section of financial 'recoveries' at the moment. When the going gets tough, the tough get going, by declaring the Company bankrupt and hopping it to Brazil or Paraguay. You might get your photo on Crimewatch but by then you'll be too rich to care about being (in)famous as well!!.

PLEASE NOTE: I'm joking. That would be highly illegal.... and it wouldn't work anyway, so please don't try.....and I'm NOT suggesting DCA's are bent....just a joke everybody ;)

HOIST BY THEIR OWN PETARD.

Blimey it works....:-)

Form your own limited Company. There are firms that will do this for you for about 100 quid if you Google 'Company Formations'. You can have your own registered office at an address you've probably never heard of, and don't even need to visit if you don't want to.

You can then get a Credit license from the OFT for about 485 quid in the name of your limited company, a data processing cert, and then register with the CRA's. You might even want to join an industry body to give your 'firm' some credibility.

Let the fun begin. You can phart about with peoples credit records to your hearts content, hold people to ransom and pursue for that 137.10 they owe for some books/CD's/strippogram they had 4 years ago at a previous address....the world is your lobster.

You only have to hope your victims haven't found CAG yet, and you're on a winner. It's the fastest growing and most successful section of financial 'recoveries' at the moment. When the going gets tough, the tough get going, by declaring the Company bankrupt and hopping it to Brazil or Paraguay. You might get your photo on Crimewatch but by then you'll be too rich to care about being (in)famous as well!!.

PLEASE NOTE: I'm joking. That would be highly illegal.... and it wouldn't work anyway, so please don't try.....and I'm NOT suggesting DCA's are bent....just a joke everybody ;)

Woohoo, show time. I have dormant LTD companies waiting. Oh what fun I will have with this info.

Hey, new business idea - £10 to put a default on someone who has pi**ed you off! I'll be rich :grin:

Woohoo, show time. I have dormant LTD companies waiting. Oh what fun I will have with this info.

Hey, new business idea - £10 to put a default on someone who has pi**ed you off! I'll be rich :grin:

I hope you've not taken that seriously wotnot!!

If you have incorrect info on your file, they will normally only change it if you sort it out with the company that put it there in the first place.

True, been there. But have you tried talking to some of these companies? They dont give a ***t. I would just like to do what they have done to me, and many others. Then make them beg and send faxes, letters, emails and more letters until I finally say oh, ok sorry its taken months but we will remove it from your file. Then do nothing for another 4 weeks until they start screaming down the phone etc. etc.

How can they say you're guilty until you prove yourself innocent? (which is sometimes harder to do when you have never heard of them!)

I had a tenant once who moved into a property then called up all the utility companies and said he was moving out and to put all the bills back into the landlorsd name (me). In the meantime I had to evict him for non payment of rent only to find this out whenI was notified that one of them had a ccj against me. Guess how long that took to sort that one out.

(ccj removed now of course)

can you explian what was wrong with what I said?

It is illegal what you are proposing and would in all likelyhood result in you being sued for damages.

HAVE YOU BEEN TREATED UNFAIRLY BY CREDITORS OR DCA's?

BEWARE OF CLAIMS MANAGEMENT COMPANIES OFFERING TO WRITE OFF YOUR DEBTS.

Please note opinions given by rory32 are offered informally as a lay-person in good faith based on personal experience. For legal advice, you must always consult a registered and insured lawyer.

Dannyboy

Just to pick you up on one point - you said it would be highly illegal, are you saying that what they are doing is illegal?

Or have they made a mistake - which is what I (and others) could legitimately do? (if we had such a company of course)

Thanks Rory, does that mean I can sue for damages against the company in question?

BTW I'm joking about starting a company but it just annoys me that this is allowed. Anyone had similar experiences?

does that mean I can sue for damages against the company in question?

Yes if you can quantify the damage.

HAVE YOU BEEN TREATED UNFAIRLY BY CREDITORS OR DCA's?

BEWARE OF CLAIMS MANAGEMENT COMPANIES OFFERING TO WRITE OFF YOUR DEBTS.

Please note opinions given by rory32 are offered informally as a lay-person in good faith based on personal experience. For legal advice, you must always consult a registered and insured lawyer.

Well it did put on hold two months of house buying whilst I sorted out the two defaults from B**t*sh G*s (that had absolutely nothing to do with me - old rental property years ago). But I guess as house prices are going down they actually saved me some money :grin:

Oh yes and three of my credits cards effectively reduced my limits to near zero when I paid them off in full (as usual) due to information from Experian they said, but no loss there!

Dannyboy

Just to pick you up on one point - you said it would be highly illegal, are you saying that what they are doing is illegal?

Or have they made a mistake - which is what I (and others) could legitimately do? (if we had such a company of course)

What they are doing is not necessarily illegal unless they have knowingly recorded false and/or inaccurate information on your credit file. To prove they knowingly recorded this false information is likely to be nigh on impossible, as unlike the consumer they are considered to be innocent until proven guilty. They have a myriad of excuses to fall back on, including the old favourite they were acting 'in good faith' on information which they now know to be inaccurate. It could be a genuine mistake.

If a DCA 'phones you demanding money on a debt and threaten you with court, - if they have not, and later can not, produce an enforceable agreement along with proof of their legal right to collect they are (in old fashioned blurb) 'demanding money with menaces' which is illegal, the correct legal 'instruments' must be in place before recovery attempts begin...but how many people would be able to prove it in a court??

I do know how you feel. It was being hassled for a debt that wasn't mine that brought me here in the first place, and it is very much an uphill struggle.

All the best.

Cheers Danny, I know what your saying but this thread been a laugh tonight (Brazil does sound good though!). Thanks to Rory too (and thanks for your supportive advice on other matters, appreciated).

Its a shame this goes on, they should be held accountable - what I mean is that experian should remove any information that is disputed until the person who put it there proves its correct, not the other way round.

Anyway enough said, unless others have similar experiences?