Norwich Union. Advice required.

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6105 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi Becca

Firstly can I say how fab it is to find you on this site!

My property was flooded last Friday with the flash flood rain. So far insurance Co have been extremely helpful in paying out emergency funds for hotel and trying to get restorator and loss adjustor booked in what can only be described as bedlam for insurance companies!

My question is that I have been contacted by the restroration company and without even seeing the damage they have instructed me to bag up all clothing that was affected so it can be picked up for dry cleaning next week. I probably have over 200 items of clothing and some bedding that has been sitting in sewage water for over a week. I asked them how they could guarantee they will be as good as new without seeing items first. I was told by NU that they (restoration co) would go through everything and determine what could be saved and what couldn’t…… now it seems they don’t want to do this groundwork but just send everything to dry cleaners after I have bagged it all up.

I would rather ask NU to replace smaller items which didn’t cost much as a lump sum and only put in the more delicate/expensive items into dry cleaning to see if they can be restored as I’m getting the impression that this company are trying to get the max claim out of my insurance. I’m worried that if they can’t restore all items I will then have to claim for replacements anyway but they will still be quids in and this amount will be part of my contents total.! :x

I’m not comfortable with being told I have no choice by this restoration company and having read on the government website re flooding their advice is to dispose of any soft furnishings, clothes affected by flood water esp if the water came up from the drains/sewers and has been left for over a few days.

Any advice would be appreciated in this really stressful time as I’m feeling bullied by this company and I’m hoping to report this to NU and sort something out with them as they have been so helpful so far..

Thanks again

Guest Aviva Support

I've PM'd you hun!

We need a little bit more info so we can get in touch with you and the restoration company.

Becca

Hi Becca

I have another querie (I know, I'm a natural worrier!)... I have checked on the NU website which says the following :

"As an approximate guide, if you were to turn your home upside down, everything that fell out would be your contents, and most of what remains would be buildings. "

Does this mean that walls and flooring can be claimed from my building insurance rather than my contents? Floors are wood so are therefore integrated into the building and obviously the walls are part of the building structure.

Any advice would again be appreciated.

Rgds

Sue

p.s restoration company attended today and have advised that clothing that has been sitting in the water should be disposed off.. I think the drycleaning was more for items that have been exposed rather than direct contact. Phew!

Guest Aviva Support

Hi Hi

Glad you got that sorted and your mind is at rest. In terms of buildings/contents distinction, what you've said makes sense to me... but I will make 100% sure for you when back in the office!

Have fab weekend

Becca

I'd imagine walls would come under Buildings cover. With regards to flooring, many years ago my Mum's washing machine leaked all over the floor and damaged the lino, so she had to claim on her NU Contents policy to have new lino put down. So carpets/lino is considered as Contents, but the actual floorboards would probably come under Buildings cover.

So to have them replasted due to flooding should come out of buildings rather than contents or would this be considered a wall covering? I'm also going to query built in units as I have read on this site that anything that cannot be removed without damaging the item would be considered integrated into the building.. Also think Insurance Ombudsman covered that point too. If I moved I couldn't take them with me without damaging them so effectively they are part of the building...

update: Spoke to NU yesterday and they have confirmed that walls, flooring, electrics, fitted units will all come under building.

Spoke to restoration company and they are going to give me a price for dry cleaning, sanitation and repair based on the details I have sent over to them.

Feel more in control of where my money is going now and releived that restoration company were very helpful and accomodating this morning.

Guest Aviva Support

Glad you feel more in control than before, if you need me anymore just give me an email.

Becca

Thanks Becca. Restoration co probably assumed I had high insurance, when I explained it was severly limited for contents they agreed it would be beneficial to work out what was cheaper, repair or replace.

Thanks for your help, just knowing that someone is on here checking our claims is reassuring.

Quick update... Got loss adjuster for contents coming out tmr. They did want to dispose of items but said that I would prefer to do this myself when the work is being done and skips are available outside my flat. In the meantime items can stay out in the garden. Thanks to another thread on here I would have agreed without much thought for how much this would have cost so hopefully have saved some of my claim on that.

Buildings adjuster coming out in 2 weeks to ascertain what work should be done (thought this was already covered but apparently this was just a recommendation).. They wanted to start stripping out that day but advised that I was getting my own quotes so that wouldn't be happening until I had spoken to NU and agreed who was doing the work. After reading other sites and being advised off the record to get my own workman in, I would much prefer to do this so I'm happy with the quality of work and would be able to let my contractor come and go with a key. Hopefully this will all work out but feel like I'm constantly telling people they can't just assume that they can do what they like!