Medical Expenses - Can Insurers reject claim?

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6121 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi, could someone please advise, I booked a holiday through MyTravel on-line on 3rd June 07' buying their travel insurance, as it was close to departure (21st June 07') the confirmation e-mail said that we would have to pick up our documents from the airport (not unusual, we have done this before),we doublechecked that we were insured, which we were (confirmed on our booking ref on website, which we printed off), when we got to the airport there was just the tickets waiting for collection no insurance details, we knew we were covered so didn't worry too much. 3 days into our holiday I developed a very bad itchy rash, at first, just thought it was prickly heat (temperature in Zante was a very hot 45 degrees) so made sure I stayed out of the sun and kept as cool as possible, over the next day and a half it got worse and spread all over my body so I sought medical help, to cut a too long story already short, had to pay the doctor 455 euros for treatment (did work, spots/itching went). Get home, no insurance policy, phoned MyTravel- put through to Manos who tell us to phone White Horse Insurance in R.O.I. which we did - twice - eventually get the policy through yesterday morning. What I would like to know is -

Do I have to give permission for White Horse to access my medical records? (*Was not given any advice when purchasing the policy)

I have an EHIC card, would I be able to claim off that?

I have a full detailed medical report from the greek doctor and receipts etc. * When purchasing the insurance on the website, it gave basic tick box options which I ticked truthfully i.e. general good health. Our holiday rep was non-existant, we didn't get a welcome pack until the last morning when it was pushed under our door, we had left notes and messages for him/her.

Itchy rash turned out to be a skin infection, so not only had to keep out of the sun but also the pool! Still enjoyed the holiday though:)

Hope it doesn't seem too long winded.

Advice greatly appreciated

Regards - Jackie

Yes, you will need to give consent for the insurers to access your medical records. You don't have to, but not doing so if they ask you may prejudice a claim.

EHIC is valid in Greece. Treatment is free if you go through their social security/health service (IKA) system. If you go to a private doctor, you can claim some of the cost back, but you have to do this locally. In certain circumstances (e.g. when there is no IKA office in the area - unlikely unless you are right in the sticks), you can try for a refund in UK - however, you need all the original documents including receipts & prescriptions.