Marc Gander - The Consumer Survival Handbook

A 220 page introduction to all things consumer related by our own BankFodder.

Includes energy companies, mobile phone providers, retailers, banks, insurance companies,debt collection agencies, reclaim companies, secondhand car sellers, cowboy garages, cowboy builders and all the rest who put their own profits before you.

£6.99

Patricia Pearl - Small Claims Procedure - A Practical Guide

An excellent guide for the layperson in how to use the County Court - a must if you are intending to start a claim.

£19.99 + £1.50 (P&P)

+ Reply to Thread
    Basic Account Holder
    Do you record your calls?
    You'll regret it if you don't.
    nicolee2931 Novitiate

Follow Real_CAG on Twitter
    Cagger since : Apr 2007

Default Forced Entry?

I have been in a long running dispute with Bristow & Sutor over a Council Tax Bill for several months now. They told me I had to pay 445 per month or else, at first i paid it just to keep them off my back, but I got made redundant and only had my partners income coming in, the 445 I was paying them became unsustainable. I have not let them into my property at any time, and have started to stand my ground with them, I have now refused to pay them and have said I will only deal with the council, my question is can they force entry now this new bill has been passed through government, or has the industry got to become fully regulated before it comes into force?

Similar Threads:

Site Team dx100uk Highly authoritative dx100uk Highly authoritative dx100uk Highly authoritative dx100uk Highly authoritative dx100uk Highly authoritative dx100uk Highly authoritative dx100uk Highly authoritative dx100uk Highly authoritative dx100uk Highly authoritative dx100uk Highly authoritative dx100uk Highly authoritative dx100uk's Avatar

Cagger since : Dec 2006

Default Re: Forced Entry?

they cannot force entry.
    however anything that is open [window etc] they can use but they cannot 'force' their way in.
    the council are responsible for the actions of the bailiffs they enploy.
    go into the council, make a realistic PCM offer & get them to contact the bailiff direct. but you must pay what you say every month.

i would be inclined to check if / how much, the bailiffs have charged
    there are strict guidelines on charges.

dx100uk

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS
    Click Here To Make A Donation
    If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread
    my views are my own...seek legal advice if necessary
    NEVER EVER - act on a private message asking you to visit another website, make contact 'off list' or by phone alert the siteteam
    DX RIP Martin3030
    Follows
    Following

Herbie

The Tribunals Courts & Enforcement Bill became law 2 weeks ago. However, this is a very large bill covering many different areas from debt, insolvency and enforcement which is contained in Part 3. Yes, it is PLANNED that some time IN THE FUTURE bailifs wil be given powers to break into homes. However, we were told that this will ONLY HAPPEN when all bailiffs are certificated and when a regulator is put in place. We are told that this will not be for 2 years.

Also, it must be remembered that if a bailiff is enforcing a fine. ie: parking offence ( driving without insurance, speeding etc) or unpaid TV Licence etc, they CAN break into your home.

For the more common debt, ie: council tax and unpaid parking chargeicon notices, the bailiff CANNOT break in.

Basic Account Holder
    nicolee2931 Novitiate

Quote Originally Posted by Herbie View Post
    The Tribunals Courts & Enforcement Bill became law 2 weeks ago. However, this is a very large bill covering many different areas from debt, insolvency and enforcement which is contained in Part 3. Yes, it is PLANNED that some time IN THE FUTURE bailifs wil be given powers to break into homes. However, we were told that this will ONLY HAPPEN when all bailiffs are certificated and when a regulator is put in place. We are told that this will not be for 2 years.

Also, it must be remembered that if a bailiff is enforcing a fine. ie: parking offence ( driving without insurance, speeding etc) or unpaid TV Licence etc, they CAN break into your home.

For the more common debt, ie: council tax and unpaid parking chargeicon notices, the bailiff CANNOT break in.
    Thanks for that i didn't just want to send my next letter off only to return one day with my front door hanging from its hinges. The last letter I got from the bailiff was if they could not collect what was outstanding they would return to client duly endorsed because of my refusal to deal with them. However in my letter I am about to send them I have explained I'm not refusing to pay, I'm just refusing to pay them and any payments will be sent to the council along with this years council tax monthly installment, I have included a cheque with the letter for 36 which clears any fees incurred for visiting my home, I have also put at the bottom of the letter that by enclosing this payment it concludes my business relationship with bristow & sutor and any future communication between both parties should cease otherwise any continued harrassment with be passed to my solicitor.

Does this sound about right?

Site Team dx100uk Highly authoritative dx100uk Highly authoritative dx100uk Highly authoritative dx100uk Highly authoritative dx100uk Highly authoritative dx100uk Highly authoritative dx100uk Highly authoritative dx100uk Highly authoritative dx100uk Highly authoritative dx100uk Highly authoritative dx100uk Highly authoritative dx100uk's Avatar

Cagger since : Dec 2006

brill
    on the ball

well done.
    there is an interesting point in another like threads about bailiffs.
    it appears the some councils cannot recall the debts placed with bailiffs.
    i'm not sure on this , doesn't sound right to me

dx100uk

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS
    Click Here To Make A Donation
    If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread
    my views are my own...seek legal advice if necessary
    NEVER EVER - act on a private message asking you to visit another website, make contact 'off list' or by phone alert the siteteam
    DX RIP Martin3030
    Follows
    Following

Basic Account Holder
    The Watcher Novitiate

Cagger since : Mar 2007

Quote Originally Posted by nicolee2931 View Post
    I have now refused to pay them and have said I will only deal with the council, my question is can they force entry now this new bill has been passed through government, or has the industry got to become fully regulated before it comes into force?
    Fantastic - another one who refuses to be ripped-off !

Please see thread - Time for a bailiff boycott.

Basic Account Holder
    nicolee2931 Novitiate

Good news!

Had a letter today from Bristow & Sutor stating that if they cannot collect a payment within the next 7 days they will return the liability orders back to the council who then make an application for my committal to prison.

I contacted the local council who said we won't commit me to prison as long as I make an arrangement to pay which we have now done, goodbye horrible Bristow & Sutor. Thanks guys for all your help and advice, I just hope others follow the same plan.

Basic Account Holder
    The Watcher Novitiate

Cagger since : Mar 2007

Quote Originally Posted by nicolee2931 View Post
    Good news!

Had a letter today from Bristow & Sutor stating that if they cannot collect a payment within the next 7 days they will return the liability orders back to the council who then make an application for my committal to prison.

I contacted the local council who said we won't commit me to prison as long as I make an arrangement to pay which we have now done, goodbye horrible Bristow & Sutor. Thanks guys for all your help and advice, I just hope others follow the same plan.
    Yet another who refuses to be ripped-off !

If you REFUSE to deal with bailiffs - then the Council WILL come to an agreement !

Reclaim the Right Ltd. - reg.05783665 in the UK reg. office:- 923 Finchley Road London NW11 7PE
We use cookies to personalise content and ads and to provide social media features. We also share information about your use of our site with our advertising and analytics partners. See details