• Tweets

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 160 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

SweetnSexyEnglish VS Brighthouse

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4412 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Have you tried eBay? That'll give you a good idea of what a secondhand Pavillion laptop is worth! Just an idea! Nudge Nudge, Wink Wink

Lefty

If the left side of the brain controls your right, and the right side controls your left, then left-handed people are always in their right mind!

Please help to support this site with a small donation... every little helps...

CAG- The Nation's Weekly Info Store!

;)

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks Lefty...I'm on the case!!

I'm fighting back and ready to go :D who will be my first victim? LBL, Brighthouse.

..."If you have no confidence in self, you are twice defeated in the race of life."

I am not here to insult or offend...just to offer advice and seek advice as all this is a learning experience, such is the cycle of life...for those that would wish to insult me for my thoughts or deeds...Stay Blessed for I know my heart is pure with no ill thought towards YOU. :cool:

Nationwide Won:D Benefits returned £577

Well I am not having any luck, ebay haven't got that item, I have only found it in one place and the price is £575.74 new which is still good as secondhand it has to be less than that, I am looking for other items in the series also to show them. If anyone has any suggestions where I can find any prices please leave a link for me thank you!!

I'm fighting back and ready to go :D who will be my first victim? LBL, Brighthouse.

..."If you have no confidence in self, you are twice defeated in the race of life."

I am not here to insult or offend...just to offer advice and seek advice as all this is a learning experience, such is the cycle of life...for those that would wish to insult me for my thoughts or deeds...Stay Blessed for I know my heart is pure with no ill thought towards YOU. :cool:

0n 5th January 2007 the manager of the store threatened to come to my home and remove goods from that address, after I had previously spoken with staff (Ebb) in person at the store on Thursday 4th January making a verbal agreement to come into the store on Monday 8th January 2007 to make full payment. As the store was unwilling to accept part payment although having explained funds had been taken out of my account making it impossible to make full payment before that day. I have now discovered that the manager abused her rights to call my home and threaten to collect items from my property as upon reflection and calculation have discovered that only one contract was less than the amount stated under the repossession rights as detailed in the contract. The qualifying amount would have been of knowledge to the manager and she used her position to deceive myself in order to obtain a new contract and deny me my legal rights.

72030000035078 -£457.16 one third amount £360.19

72030000036620-£218.16 one third amount £157.56

72030000035530- £210.24 one third amount £192.72

72030000033752-£225.62 one third amount £202.28

72030000034377- £325.89 one third amount £332.28

I find the bullying and deceptive actions of the staff despicable, when I asked to speak with the members of staff that were in store on that day, Ebb and also Donna I was told both members of staff were not at work that day and the manager made her threats on the grounds that there were no notes on the account knowing full well she had no authority or right to even make those threats. And the fact staff members make a habit out of denying customers there statutory rights part of their daily practice in the store as has been viewed with the laptop purchased is purely bad business practice, however as I am now armed with the law and knowledge is power I choose to exercise my rights especially after knowing I was conned into having the new contracts.

I have also confirmed with HP the laptop stopped being produced in JAN/FEB and that at that time the recommended retail price was between £599 -£699 and the current value of a second hand item is under that value.

I am on my way armed with the facts and prices to confront brighthouse this morning.

the "consolidation" thing and getting people to sign new contracts is a common trick used by Brighthouse.

I have used this letter in the past - you may find it useful:

I understand that revised agreements may need to be signed (please see note “A” below) and I calculate that the adjustments to my agreements in detail are: XXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Note “A” - IMPORTANT Payments made previously on this agreement (agreement number XXXXXXXXXXXXX including XX payments to date representing more than one third of the total amount payable) should be reflected in any revised agreement. I do not waive any of my rights under the Consumer Credit Act 1974 regarding, in particular, “early settlement” and “repossession” as set out in section J of the original agreement.

Cheers

Lefty

If the left side of the brain controls your right, and the right side controls your left, then left-handed people are always in their right mind!

;)

Well...I won, yep it feels good to say that after the stress they have put me through!!

I went into the store with a witness, the deputy manager proceeded to unpack the HP Pavilion, before she had time to finish unpacking it I presented her with a letter.

copy of letter:

Tuesday, 31 July 2007

The Store Manager

55/56 Mander Center,

Wolverhampton,

WV1 3NN

Agreement No:72030000035078

Dear Madam or Sir:

In reference to the above contracts and the phone call I received to my home 0n 5th January 2007. I have since discovered the manager who threatened to come to my home and remove goods from that address, after I had previously spoken with Ebb in person at the store on Thursday 4th January making a verbal agreement to come into the store on Monday 8th January 2007 to make full payment. As the store was unwilling to accept part payment although having explained funds had been taken out of my account making it impossible to make full payment before that day. I find that the manager abused her rights to call my home and threaten to collect items from my property as upon reflection and calculation have discovered that only one contract was less than the amount stated under the repossession rights as detailed in the contract. The qualifying amount would have been of knowledge to the manager and she used her position to deceive myself in order to obtain a new contract and deny me my legal rights.

72030000035078 -£457.16 one third amount £360.19

72030000036620-£218.16 one third amount £157.56

72030000035530- £210.24 one third amount £192.72

72030000033752-£225.62 one third amount £202.28

72030000034377- £325.89 one third amount £332.28

I find the bullying and deceptive actions of the staff despicable, when I asked to speak with the members of staff that were in store on that day, Ebb and also Donna I was told both members of staff were not at work that day and the manager made her threats on the grounds that there were no notes on the account knowing full well she had no authority or right to even make those threats. And the fact staff members make a habit out of denying customers there statutory rights part of their daily practice in the store as has been viewed with the laptop purchased is purely bad business practice, however as I am now armed with the law and knowledge is power I choose to exercise my rights.

Under the Sale of Goods act it stipulates as a consumer I have the right to goods that are:

Of a Satisfactory Quality, i.e. generally free from fault or defect, of a reasonable appearance and finish and safe and durable.

Fit for the purpose - goods should be fit for any specific or particular purpose made known at the time of the agreement.

As described - goods should correspond with any description applied to them.” As stated in the Sale of Goods Act.

I have identified the following faults:

1. Cracks in the hinges which is falling apart

2. The keys missing out letters when typing

3. The DVD drive coming out in my hand when opening the drive via the open and close button (which escalated to)

4. The DVD drive has now fallen out the machine.

5. The front slot to open and close the DVD drive has fallen off

6. The crack in the casing

7. The constant blue screens which is a sign of a hardware default

Under the Supply of Goods to Consumers Regulations 2002 it stipulates I have the right to request a repair or replacement or a full or partial refund, I am also aware that items have a life expectancy and the higher priced the item the longer I can assume the product should last and that an over priced expensive item made with cheap materials would not be expected to last as long as is the case with the Infinity laptop. I am also aware that faulty or defective items are in breach of said contract regardless of whether the item is outside the 12 month warranty. The Item actually started cracking at the hinges before the warranty was up as the first crack appeared at the time I request a new power lead, however I was unsure as to the nature of the crack so therefore did not report it at that time. But after watching the item for several months began to notice other defects in the workmanship of the laptop and bought it to the attention of staff mainly Harvey, staff member Ebb was present at that time, the date can be confirmed by the date I paid off the 1st Item being the Xbox 360, and at that time I also brought to his attention the contracts, which was for the second time to a member of staff. Under the contract my rights state I can take the item into the store and make my request and it should be dealt with in a reasonable amount of time, I can also hold the finance company liable for the supply of said item and the breach of contract.

I am also aware that the Area Manager does not have the right to force me to take service cover on an exchange if service cover was never taken on the original agreement, and that said exchange should be of value to the amount paid under the contract or contract value but can not be lower otherwise I have the right to request a partial refund to the difference of the value of replacement item. I am also aware that the item HP Pavilion DV6122EA is no longer in production and is a discontinue item and has been since JAN/FEB by the manufacture the recommended retail price at that time was £599-£699 when it was available and now would be valued at less than that as second hand, I have also ascertained whether or not Brighthouse would be able to obtain new items at this time, and as Brighthouse do not buy in bulk there is no way they could still have these items or obtain these items brand new as only major stockists who still had this item in stock would be able to and as neither PC World, Dixon’s Electrical or Curry’s and there is no where on the internet this item is available to sell, the advertised item I do have was advertised back in January 2007. However I am aware that it is not possible for the store to obtain them new as the item is no longer being sold and I have obtained enough proof to make that statement.

If the store can not make a suitable exchange I have the right to request a refund of monies paid for the defective item, and will also take the laptop to an expert who will be able to validate the quality of materials and workmanship, however I will also charge Brighthouse for my expense and should this go to court I also have evidence this is not the first time Brighthouse have sold me a substandard item and tried to refuse me my rights under the Sale of Goods Act and the Consumer Credit Act as well as the Supply of Goods to Consumers Regulations 2002. As Brighthouse email my university account I will also see whether the university can obtain a previous email sent to Brighthouse last year outlining the harassment I received from a member of staff i.e. comments made to me both in my home and at the store, also in front of my daughter when he had the nerve to followed me out the store on one occasion when I came in to pay. Brighthouse didn’t even have the decency to follow up the complaint I made which again is a reflection on the lack of morals they have as a company and the lack they accept from staff members.

As the laptop is a required item and the inconvenience caused through the prolonged delay in finding an adequate replacement of like for like value, if a refund or exchange is not supplied I will again be seeking legal advice in taking this mater further.

Yours faithfully

The deputy manager handed the letter to the now accting manager, the deputy manager basically said that no matter what they found for me .i.e. second hand would not match the cost of the item. The manager basically asked if I was a law student and said that I had throughly researched my rights. He also admitted the infinity laptop was an inferior model and that previous laptops had suffered the same cracking of the hinges. So when as why it was allowed to drag on so long considering they knew of the problems with the laptop he appologised. When put to him about the contracts he also admitted that the manager would have to obtained a court order to reposses the goods.

The have agreed to exchange the laptop for a brand new Acer 17" which they will be collecting from another store (an I will be checking it is new!!) and i will be paying for the laptop at a rate of £9.99 for 38 weeks with no added service cover and still with the original rights of my old contract and I also made sure to obtain this in writing!!

Thank you to all the cag members for the problems and posts they have written which has enabled me to obtain information and Lefty as it was your original post on pcadvisor that put the fight in me though at times I felt I was becoming obsessed like when I was still researching my rights at 4am in the morning!!

Thank you all.

That's great English, well done!! :)

Disclaimer: Anything I write in these forums is my personal opinion and offered without prejudice. If in doubt, please seek independent legal advice.

*If what I have told you in this post has helped, please press the star at the bottom left and tell me!!*

My charges claims:

un1boy vs egg *SETTLED* | Un1boy vs LTSB-SETTLED | un1boy vs Black Horse-SETTLED | Un1boy v Smile *WON* | un1boy v HSBC - SETTLED! | Un1boy's HSBC CC - SETTLED! | Un1boy vs Co-Op *SETTLED* |un1boy vs Co-Op CC *SETTLED*

Default removals:

un1boy v Equifax - Default removal

un1boy vs Experian - Default removal

congratulations:)

i will be off site for the next month or so. if you have any problems, feel free to report the post so a moderator can help you.

I am not a qualified or practicing lawyer.

Thanks All :D

Great news! Well done!

Chuffed!

Cheers

Lefty

;)

Well I am please as I will end up with a new laptop with a 12mth warranty worth something more than their own optional service cover which isn't worth the paper it's written on thanks to Lefty's informative posts.

But I do feel all the posters of the cag site who have had bad dealings with Brighthouse should band together to form some form of plan of action whether it be to bombard trading standards or someone else with authority to look at the constant complaints and force their hand to act on our behalf.

I said to a friend yesterday I will NEVER go to them again and she said never say never and burn your bridges but what bridges? After my first hand experience of being unjustly dealt with by them I doubt I'd be burning any bridges I would wish to cross again after all I am not an idiot and twice bitten twice shy!!

And it has been reading all the complaints posted on here as well as sites such as blagger.com and pc advisor to mention but a few I realise this company's only aim is to take advantage of consumers who do not know their rights and in an unfortunate predicament when it comes to obtaining finance.

Affordable finance from the point of Brighthouse is not done through charging £2088 for an item that in other shops cost £424.99 as seen with the ps3 they are offering, and as I advised a friend if you are that desperate to have an item save in a savings account get someone you trust to hold the card until you have the money to buy the item especially if it is only a luxury item. If anyone is successful in making a claim for charges against brighthouse then that is what my next move will be and i'd suggest everyone hit them where it counts.

It's great, I'm glad you won - and you didn't even have to take them to court!!

Disclaimer: Anything I write in these forums is my personal opinion and offered without prejudice. If in doubt, please seek independent legal advice.

*If what I have told you in this post has helped, please press the star at the bottom left and tell me!!*

My charges claims:

un1boy vs egg *SETTLED* | Un1boy vs LTSB-SETTLED | un1boy vs Black Horse-SETTLED | Un1boy v Smile *WON* | un1boy v HSBC - SETTLED! | Un1boy's HSBC CC - SETTLED! | Un1boy vs Co-Op *SETTLED* |un1boy vs Co-Op CC *SETTLED*

Default removals:

Well I am please as I will end up with a new laptop with a 12mth warranty worth something more than their own optional service cover which isn't worth the paper it's written on thanks to Lefty's informative posts.

Ha ha... Lefty and his one-man crusade against Brighthouse!!!! Actually, that's not strictly true... I'm not really AGAINST Brighthouse, I just want the folks who have little or no choice in shopping with them to realise that just because they are considered "sub-prime" that does not mean that consumer law doesn't apply to them and they DO HAVE RIGHTS!!!!

Cheers

Lefty

;)

I agree Lefty I believe Brighthouse more than any other company I have come across need to take a lesson in customer service, and since researching my rights and what I have learnt from the threads and other peoples problems on this site, I feel all customer's regardless of store needs to make sure they know their legal rights, and not allow companies to reduce your rights to the size of the small print they stick on receipts and contracts.

well just to let you know I've got it I am typing this post from my newly aqcuired laptop, beautiful lol. And guess what...i am going to pay off the laptop next week which means they did all that paperwork for nothing on the new contract!! If they have any complaints I will be taking in a copy of the template letter supplied by Lefty in regards to the new contract!!

Excellent, well done!! :)

My charges claims:

Default removals:

• 1 month later...

Glad you won

I had a look at the brighthouse website when they first launched, noticed the bad quality of their products noticed that they were overpriced and kept away.

Barclaycard Student credit card £400 partial refund received, S.A.R -

Open & Direct Finance- extortionate, cca to Rockwell debt collection they ran away, now with Bryan Carter, no cca 17/03/08 sent back to Open

Pugsley v Littlwoods, have not received the signed credit agreement only quoting reg of 1983

Pugsley v Fashion World JD williams, 17/03 2008 Debt Managers returning file to JD williams as they could not supply the credit agreement

Capital one MCOL Settled in full

Smile lba settled in full

advice is given informally and without liability and without prejudice.

• 1 month later...

the phone number is 0800 526 069...ive just finished working for the company and its a joke..if anything breaks {small enough to carry}take it back put it on the counter and demand it being fixed...also dont take service cover cos you get a 12 month cover anyway its the law..:evil:

its like a weight off my shoulders leaving that company...if anybody outhere wants any tips or info get in contact with the bogmonster

• 3 weeks later...

I`m new to the forum and i am looking for advice about Brighthouse. I have only just found out about the Optional Service Cover actually being "optional". I have been paying £27 per week for the last 78 weeks for my TV and washing machine which includes OSC. After taking advice from a forum member I have written to my branch and head office to ask for this to be removed immediately and the Dundee branch have said they will cancel it so I will now only be paying £15 per week! Has anyone successfully claimed OSC back from them as I explained to their manager I was told that I needed this and would not get the goods without it! I have requested all the previous OSC back from them in a letter. Watch this space but don`t hold your breath.......