Hastings Car Insurance

taz_in_2001
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6129 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Sorry if a similar post has already been posted but I haven't got the time to look through all the posts on this section.

My mother has just received two car insurance renewals through the post this morning, one from the insurance she thought she was with and then another from an insurance company that she cancelled last year.

Problem is that on checking her bank statements she has been paying the two of them, when Hastings should have been cancelled as requested last year by phone when their renewal premium was higher.

What I would like to know is does she stand a chance of getting her money back from Hastings as this is an error on their part ?

Thanks in advance

Sarah

The problem may be proving this. The cancellation would have been made almost a year ago and I have no idea if they would keep their phone records for so long. The obvious thing to do is to write to them and point out that the policy was cancelled by phone, but they failed to follow your instructions, so you would like a refund. Then sit back and see how they respond.

This shows up the problem with making monthly payments by direct debit to insurance companies. I detest the way they rely on the customer to cancel the policy in these circumstances. If the premium has been paid up front then they have no way of going through this automatic renewal process. It does highlight the importance of not only informing the insurance companies but also cancelling the direct debit with your bank.

Thanks for the advice, guess my fingertips better start writing a letter :(, I have cancelled the dd from her bank when she phoned me to say so no doubt they will have something to say about that

Dear Sir or Madam,

I was insured with Hastings Direct in 2005 and on receiving my renewal on xx/xx/2006 after getting alternative quotes I chose to insure with another company. I phoned Hastings Direct and informed you that I would not be renewing my policy on xx/xx/2006. I was informed that the policy would not be renewed.

I have now received a renewal from my current insurers and Hastings Direct. On checking my bank account I have noticed that Hastings Direct has debited my account for an insurance policy, despite my instructions given to you last year that I would not be renewing my policy with you.

Please could you investigate why you did not cancel my policy as instructed. I trust that your investigation will reveal a mistake was made by you and I look forward to a full refund of the premiums I have paid on a policy that I instructed you to cancel.

Yours faithfully,

etc etc

Just point out that you requested they Lapse/cancel the policy at last renewal as you had arranged alternative cover and enclose a photocopy of your new insurers certificate to confirm this.

Request a full refund as they renewed without your authorisation (as you requested to lapse the policy) and that you have been dual insured for the past year.

Cahoot - Rejection of offer sent 14/06/07

Barclaycard - S.A.R - (Subject Access Request) sent 22/03/07

another idea, sorry if this won't work, but I would contact the bank and tell them that the policy was cancelled but the insurance company has inadvertently continued to take the fees, and ask the bank to refund. its just another example of how direct debits work in the recipiants favour, not the payee.