Tesco Home Insurance andMoorcroft

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6112 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi all,

Just after some advice really onto my next step.

My mother took out home insurance with Tesco Home Inusrance in August last year. Within 10 days she had changed her mind and decided against using them for home insurance. She called Tesco to cancel, and they requested that she put it in writing, which she did. Roll on 4 months and we have Moorcroft calling and writing every few days to claim £44.31.

In the original terms from Tesco, it said that you are able to cancel the insurance within 14 days and any premiums paid would be refunded.

I wrote to Moorcroft informing them of this. They seemed to have ignored the letter, and continue to send very threateneing (and quite upsetting for my mother) letters demanding payment before litigation.

Today arrived a letter from 'Midas Legal Services' on behalf of Moorcroft, giving a litigation warning. I was furious at this letter, as only 4 weeks ago I sent a letter to Moorcroft saying that I disputed the amount, and asked for a copy of the terms and conditions of the agreement which she signed.

Upon calling them today, I spoke to a very rude young man who said that to them the dispute had been resolved, as they had sent me a letter saying so (This has never arrived - he said he would read it to me from an email he has). I offered him proof of why there is no debt (bank statements, letters of cancellation) and he basically called my mum a liar, saying for all he knows she could have more than one bank account. He then went on to tell me that they did not have to supply me with any documents, as it is my mum who is in the wrong, and down to her to sort it out. He said that the dispute was closed. I queried this as I have not been informed about anything, and he told me that it is resolved because Tesco have said I owe it. I asked how it can be resolved if nothing has changed, and no one has answered my query or provided me with any proof that I owe the money.

He got me very angry and upset, and he was clearly not listening to a word I was saying, so I hung up the phone.

I would like to call back when im calmer, but dont want to get pushed into the same place again, where I have nothing to say and come over all defensive, as I know it is them who are in the wrong. Can anyone offer me any pointers? Am I right to refuse to pay an amount that I believe is not owed? I sent of for a SAR and a copy of the terms and conditions over a month ago when I wrote that the account was in dispute. These have still not been sent, so is the account still in dispute? Who is responsible for saying when its not in dispute, the customer or Moorcroft?

Many thanks in advance :)

First of all, don't waste your time calling these people. Write to them and point out that the debt is in dispute and that as far as you are concerned you don't owe anything. They should then pass the matter back to Tesco. It is not up to Moorcroft to say the account is in dispute, it is your responsibility (which I note you haver already written to them). But you need to state quite clearly along the lines of :-

"I do not acknowledge this debt and I dispute it as I do not owe your client anything. I would strongly advise you to refer the matter back to your client in these cirsumstances. If after you receive this letter you continue to contact me I will regard it as harassment and I will take the matter up with the police".