Definition of "The Motor Trade"

Rob S
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6118 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I am currently looking to renew the insurance on my 2 motorcycles. I have a full time job but I also do some part time motorcycle instruction (CBT and preparing students for their practical test). I do a maximum of 20 days a year instruction, but this is causing me some problems, with many insurers not willing to provide cover. I have found one insurer who will cover me for business use in connection with any business use that I have, but their policy also stipulates that their cover does not extend to "the motor trade".

My question is how broad is this definition? Does it cover anyone involved in the buying, selling and repair of any motor vehicle, or does it also extend to include any form of tuition as part of the motor trade? The policy document of the company that has quoted me doesn't expand on this definition.

Have you told the insurers that you do the tuition?

Motor trade generally means anything to do with buying selling or running fleet of vehicles. Wouldn't think you will come in to that category but to be safe I would advise them what your business use will entail. If you ever had a major accident they would try and wriggle out somehow.............

You may receive different advice to your query as people have different experiences and opinions. Please use your own judgement in deciding whose advice to take.

If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional. Any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability.

If you think I have been helpful PLEASE click the scales

court bundles for dummies

Driving tuition is not normally considered to be motor trade use.

Thanks Chris, that was my interpretation, but you have to make certain these days, given the way insurers will do their utmost to avoid paying out, if they can.

Have you told the insurers that you do the tuition?

Motor trade generally means anything to do with buying selling or running fleet of vehicles. Wouldn't think you will come in to that category but to be safe I would advise them what your business use will entail. If you ever had a major accident they would try and wriggle out somehow.............

No Josie, as it was an online quote. I will need to ring them to ask their definition of the motor trade, but I didn't seen any harm in asking the collective wisdom of CAG first:)

Just make sure you tell them (if you haven't done so already) as there can be a considerable loading on a policy for tuition and some insurers will not cover the use.

Cahoot - Rejection of offer sent 14/06/07

Barclaycard - S.A.R - (Subject Access Request) sent 22/03/07

That's what I have been finding with some insurers Chris. As soon as I mention tuition they won't quote me. But I have just got off the phone after a very fruitful chat with the insurers who run the BMW motorcycle scheme. I explained what I needed and they said it was no problem. Their price for cover was very very competitive too, both my motorcycles covered fully comp, including protected no claims, legal cover and a decent excess for £211 a year!!! What a result!!!:D :D