• Tweets

• Thank you for that "read me", It's a lot to digest, lots of legal procedure. There was one thing that I was going to mention to you,  but in one of the conversations in that thread it was mentioned that there may be spies on the Forum,  this is something that I've read quite some time ago in a previous thread. What I had in mind was to wait for the thirty days after their reply to my CCA request and then send the unenforceable letter. I was hoping that an absence of signature could be the Silver Bullet but it seems that there are lot of layers to peel on this Onion.  
    • love the extra £1000 charge for confidentialy there BF   Also OP even if they don't offer OOC it doesn't mean your claim isn't good. I had 3 against EVRi that were heard over the last 3 weeks. They sent me emails asking me to discontinue as I wouldn't win. Went infront of a judge and won all 3.    Just remember the law is on your side. The judges will be aware of this.   Where you can its important to try to point out at the hearing the specific part of the contract they breached. I found this was very helpful and the Judge made reference to it when they gave their judgements and it seemed this was pretty important as once you have identified a specific breach the matter turns straight to liability. From there its a case of pointing out the unlawfullness of their insurance and then that should be it.
    • I know dx and thanks again for yours and others help. I was 99.999% certain last payment was over six years ago if not longer.  👍
    • Paragraph 23 – "standard industry practice" – put this in bold type. They are stupid to rely on this and we might as well carry on emphasising how stupid they are. I wonder why they could even have begun to think some kind of compelling argument – "the other boys do it so I do it as well…" Same with paragraph 26   Paragraph 45 – The Defendants have so far been unable to produce any judgements at any level which disagree with the three judgements…  …court, but I would respectfully request…   Just the few amendments above – and I think it's fine. I think you should stick to the format that you are using. This has been used lots of times and has even been applauded by judges for being meticulous and clear. You aren't a professional. Nobody is expecting professional standards and although it's important that you understand exactly what you are doing – you don't really want to come over to the judge that you have done this kind of thing before. As a litigant in person you get a certain licence/leeway from judges and that is helpful to you – especially if you are facing a professional advocate. The way this is laid out is far clearer than the mess that you will get from EVRi. Quite frankly they undermine their own credibility by trying to say that they should win simply because it is "standard industry practice". It wouldn't at all surprise me if EVRi make you a last moment offer of the entire value of your claim partly to avoid judgement and also partly to avoid the embarrassment of having this kind of rubbish exposed in court. If they do happen to do that, then you should make sure that they pay everything. If they suddenly make you an out-of-court offer and this means that they are worried that they are going to lose and so you must make sure that you get every penny – interest, costs – everything you claimed. Finally, if they do make you an out-of-court offer they will try to sign you up to a confidentiality agreement. The answer to that is absolutely – No. It's not part of the claim and if they want to settle then they settle the claim as it stands and don't try add anything on. If they want confidentiality then that will cost an extra £1000. If they don't like it then they can go do the other thing. Once you have made the amendments suggested above – it should be the final version. court,. I don't think we are going to make any more changes. Your next job good to make sure that you are completely familiar with it all. That you understand the arguments. Have you made a court familiarisation visit?
    • just type no need to keep hitting quote... as has already been said, they use their own criteria. if a person is not stated as linked to you on your file then no cant hurt you. not all creditors use every CRA provider, there are only 3 main credit file providers mind, the rest are just 3rd party data sharers. if you already have revolving credit on your file there is no need to apply for anything just 'because' you need to show you can handle money. if you have bank account(s) and a mortgage which you are servicing (paying) then nothing more can improve your score, despite what these 'scam' sites claiml  its all a CON!!  
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 160 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Parking on Private Road - Neighbours From Hell

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6070 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

This is my first post so apologies if if this has been covered - i've looked through the forums but couldn't find a situation similar to mine.

Me and my housemates rent a house which is on a private road. Our garage is accessible from the public street, but the front of our house is on the private road.

For the past few months we have parked on the private road outside our house. The landlord's notes advise us that there is space for three cars there - we park 2 and another neighbour parks one. However, the next door neighbour has complained that us parking there means that he now has to do 2 manoeuvres instead of one to drive out - his garage is not blocked and our cars are always parked well before the kerb drops away for the entrance to his garage.

These neighbours have become more and more petty, resorting to getting their son to park his van in front of their garage access so that we cannot get both cars into the space we normally park. When they have done this we have simply parked in another space in the private road which has made them more incensed.

To cut a long story short we received a letter stating that controlled parking will be enforced from the start of next month and that any unauthorised or incorrectly parked vehicles will be issued a penatly, which will be enforced by a licensed operator.

In conversations they have previously stated the rights to the private road are owned by a number of houses, but not ours and as such we have no rights to park there, despite this being the part of the road directly outside our house.

So my question - if tickets are issued, I have read the ways that you can argue against paying these. However, if we intend to continue parking there regularly, which I assume would lead to numerous tickets, what is my legal position then? Can I then still ask them to prove I was the driver of the vehicle? What is our position anyway with regards to parking there? Has anyone been successful in similar situation?

Any help would be greatly appreciated as this is becoming a real nightmare. We are leaving the house anyway in September but that still leaves 2 months of controlled parking to deal with.

Cheers.

Speak to your landlord and clarify the position. He will find it much harder to let the property out if a parking scheme is introduced, which doesn't allow his tenants to park outside the house...

But he (as the owner) should be able to find out (from the deeds etc) whether he has "ownership" or usage of that private road.

Parking is a big problem down my girlfriends (public) road, due to similar neighbour actions. The woman next door INSISTS she has a God-given right to park her car in exactly the same spot at all times (there are no markings on the road) and she religiously parks her car so the rear bumper is aligned EXACTLY with the edge of her property, regardless of how the other cars are parked in the road. This either blocks in my girlfriend's car (!) as she doesn't allow room to manouvre the car out OR takes up 2 car parking spaces.

She's been doing it for 10 years, and if you are parked PARTLY in "her" spot, and then return to your car and go out, she will come out and reposition her car WITHIN TWO MINUTES OF YOU LEAVING. That's how petty and stupid she is.

The fact of the matter is, on a public road (or a private one for which you have permission to park) where there are no markings to allocate bays, parking is on a first-come, first-served basis. Providing the cars are parked legally, the neighbour can't have a complaint.

*MY* neighbours on the other hand - we have a line of car ports at the rear of the house. If I leave my car sticking out from under the car port (still fully on MY land, but not fully underneath the "roof") they whinge at me, as they claim it makes it harder for them to park. Honestly, they're a joke. They've not realised that, if the use my land to swing their car in/out, they are potentially committing trespass.

Thing is, cars are easy to damage "anonymously"... We strongly believe it was my girlfriend's neighbour who keyed her TT a couple of years ago, for the "crime" of being parked outside the neighbours house. Just a warning that things can sometimes get nasty...

Sorry to go off on one... to repeat my advice, talk to your landlord ASAP. If they are bringing in such a scheme, either he knows about it (and can advise) or he NEEDS to know about it, if he's advising tenants that they can freely park there.

Oh, and regarding "tickets", you *should* be OK not to pay these... but usually local parking schemes aren't "ticket" based, but operated by private clamping companies.

There's no arguing with them, unfortunately - you can only pay and TRY to reclaim, as I'm doing for parking outside my OWN house at the moment...

Thanks Jampot,

The landlord is aware, but is siding with his neighbours who has lived with for 20 odd years. He has advised us through the letting agent that we no longer have rights to park there. I've checked the deed and the boundaries do not include the road, only the house. So either he has never had rights, and therefore can't take them away, or DOES have rights, and is reducing the terms of our letting - which was taken on the basis of 3 parking spaces, of which we only use 2.

Help!

Do the terms of your letting EXPLICITLY state that the property comes with a certain number of parking spaces?

If so, a polite word to him to say that he cannot change this might be beneficial. It is a shame that the road doesn't form part of the "property" as there is no way he can stop you enjoying peaceful use of it... that said, the road COULD be said to be "communal facilities", and as such, you may have rights to continue to peacefully enjoy them.

Regarding any proposed ticketing scheme, its hard to comment on what could/would happen without knowing how they intend to enforce it.

However, if the landlord himself (and not just the neighbours) is infringing on the rights of your tenancy, you may be better starting something in the Landlords / Tenants section of this site, where there are a number of very well-informed people who can help.

You are fortunate that this is a fixed-term problem - it may take the neighbours some time to bring in (and enforce) a permit system, by which time you may have already left.

Theres nothing in the terms of the letting, but he left us a book of information about the house which states there is parking space for 3 cars at the front of the house.

The most annoying thing is that our cars aren't inconveniencing ANYONE where they are - they're just doing it now because they dont want to feel like they've lost

Neighbours can be totally crackers on parking issues and it is best not to get on their level, although I appreciate that is easier said than done.

Also, as Jampot said cars can be easily damaged and have a big financial impact on you. Take some satisfaction on how pathetic these sad people are, they must have very empty lives.

I know this does answer your question but I hope it helps

personally, i dont even think its worth bothering with if you are going.

use the spaces you have and maybe just use one on the private road.

tell you what i would do, go around and see the neighbour concerned.

and make the peace with them, its only a car parking space! not worth it!

it will prob make them look rather small minded and you never know, you might get a compromise.

dx100uk

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Guest weegirl
Neighbours can be totally crackers on parking issues and it is best not to get on their level, although I appreciate that is easier said than done.

True words. Speaking from personal experience, these issues are a minefield. It's up to you if you want to be bothered fighting it or not, but it could escalate.

We have a neighbour like this who insists that he, and only he should have access to not only our private back lane, but the public parking bit at the front of our houses. He is such a sad arse that he has even set up a camera and if anyone else can't get parked out front and takes their car round the back, he will move his for badness and block it in. He has had words with everyone on the street, nobody likes him. Things escalated with the guy who lives directly next door to the point of a near punch up.

I suppose what else can you expect from someone who powerwashes the front of his house at 11pm on a Saturday night (bear in mind here, the front of his house is on a public footpath, we don't have front gardens). Some people really need to go and get a life.

I tried looking into rights of way etc, but didn't get much help off local councils or the roads service. I could have pushed it, but really couldn't be bothered for the likes of that.

Just bide your time. One of these days you might be able to help him out but won't bother. Our lovely neighbour recently got caught for being on the sick and working full-time. Wasn't me that reported him, I know who it was though! Apparently the DSS were sitting in a car at the end of the street watching his comings and goings. Never noticed them though, must have been looking the other way or something.

• 1 month later...

An update on this one. I posted a letter to all houses which are said to own the forecourt explaining that their penalty notices were illegal as per the sticky at the top of this forum and that if they continued to put notices on my car they would be leaving themselves open to prosecution for fraud and harrassment.

I have since been away for 2 weeks - upon my return I have found that they have continued to apply FPN to my car.

What is my next course of action?

I sent the same letter to the PPC itself but have so far received nothing from them, no reply, nor demand for payment for the initial fine.

What do I do next? Wait to hear back from the PPC? If I do I will continue to accrue fines...