• Tweets

• Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 160 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

Hydra-vs-RBS

HydraUK
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6116 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Had to wait a couple of days to start this thread but I have commenced my quest for justice! hehe

1-Sep-06 - SAR and fee handed to cashiers at branch.

They were a bit bemused and didn't quite know what to do with the fee, but I got a reciept! Used the template.

After handing in the SAR I got a bit nervy and wondered if it's a bit heavy handed going straight for the throat as it where, demanding info under Data Act....but then I got to thinking about how they took 3 lots of referral charges just last month, putting me over the limit once again.

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 4 weeks later...

I have just finished going through the statements and building my spread sheet but I have a couple of questions if anybody knows the answers....

What is the largest known claim against RBS upto date?

Every month I have been charged a set figure, this appears on or around the 11th of each month for the month previous, was £24 in 2000, £25 in 2001 and upto £43 currently. I think this is for the overdraft but I'm really not sure. I will ask the bank tomorrow but wondered if this is a refundable item in anyones experience?

Just got off the phone to the bank, apparently that monthly £43 is comprised of £15 Royalties charge plus £28 penalty for going over agreed limit.

So should I be reclaiming this penalty? Does anybody know what the scale of charges for the Royalties account has been since 2000? I asked the bank this question and the girl told me she could only tell me what the current charges are....

This brings me back to my first question from last night....what's the largest payout persued to date from the RBS...because I am very worried. If I add all these penalties into my spreadsheet I think my claim might exceed £10k BEFORE interest.

This is in a whole different league from the posts I have been reading here.....

:confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

You cannot claim the royalties charges, but the £28 "over your limit" charge is claimable. As for the amount of the claim, there have been similar/ larger amounts (although not too many), but the same principles apply. Just make sure you split your claim to meet the thresholds of small claims etc to avoid the potential exposure to legal costs.

Hope this helps.

J

• Confused 1

1/9/06 RBS claim #1

8/11/06 - claim settled

17/11 claim #2 started - incl creditcard

30/11 - CC statements received

31/11 - Prelims issued - RBS paying up, only M/C to go)

If any of my advice/ info has been helpful, please click the scales:D

Please also remember that any advice is given from my own experience and in good faith as a lay person. If in doubt, please contact a qualified professional:)

good luck, hydra, just keep reading faq's and as many threads as you can, cut and paste, and relevant advice, to your claim, into a word document, that you can refer to, and try to have your next step ready in advance, then they know your serious, if you stay on the timetable. also try to follow the people at the same stage as you, i find this useful.

• 1 month later...

Can anyone tell me what the Royalties charge has been over the last 6 years? I've seen it somewhere here in my forum travels but I can't seem to find it now....

In order to get this 'action' moving could I claim for the overdraft penalty separately, at a later date?

Been a bit slack due to holiday etc but really trying to get things moving now so any pointers would be appreciated.

depends what royalties scheme you are on (gold/ premier etc)

You should be able to tell from your statements how much it is as it will come off your statement on (or around) the same day each month.

1/9/06 RBS claim #1

8/11/06 - claim settled

Please also remember that any advice is given from my own experience and in good faith as a lay person. If in doubt, please contact a qualified professional:)

Davefirewalker posted a list of charges on my thread Seawall vs RBOS, but I was not sure when the charges increased. RBoS unsurprisingly declined to furnish me with the info.

As you have probably found out, the Royalties charge for us poor sods in the mire with RBoS is always disguised by a penalty added to it.

Prelim letter sent to RBoS 8/8/06 letter passed to another department...and Tommy fob off arrived

LBA sent 29/8/06 £2646.64 claimed - no reply

Claim entered 26/09/06 £2716 + interest. Not acknowledged so Judgment requested 17/10/06

Judgment in default 28/10/06:lol:

Cheque finally arrived 24/11/06, ring Group Litigation on a daily basis - you know it makes sense...:D

GE Money prelims sent for ERCs and charges on 2 accounts 18/10/06

LBAs on 2 accounts sent 5/11/2006

2nd claim against RBoS in 10/11/06, with threat of compounded contractual interest, c'mon now, concentrate...

Yes, thats the problem I have. They will only tell me the current charge but not when it went up, and the Royalties Prem charge is, so far as I can see, invariably applied together with the O/D penalty so without knowing what/how/when regarding the Royalties fee I can't extract the O/D figure.....

I think I will claim for these charges separately, seeing as my total so far without interest is IRO £8k, this will give me more time to hopefully get to the bottom of this.

Thanks for your replies

i am sure royalties premier is 15 quid. Before that royalties gold was aout 11.

Look at your statements, and if you see a month where you should ot have any charges and there is one for this amount, then thats what yoou are looking for. Like i said, it is easier to identify because they are nearly always taken on the same day of the month.

j

1/9/06 RBS claim #1

8/11/06 - claim settled

• 2 weeks later...

Just had a call from a very pleasant lass at my branch, following my initial letter. She had passed my complaint to customer relations who had ordered up a complete set of statements for me which had arrived and would I like to collect them.

I pointed out that I had already received statements and that the charges had been extracted into the the schedule I had supplied.

She then said that the bank required that I indicate the charges on statements and not just list them, as in the spreadsheet.

She said that this was to be policy 'from now on'.

WTF???? Has anyone else had this tried on or is it just for my benefit?

Where is this leading?

Just had a call from a very pleasant lass at my branch, following my initial letter. She had passed my complaint to customer relations who had ordered up a complete set of statements for me which had arrived and would I like to collect them.

I pointed out that I had already received statements and that the charges had been extracted into the the schedule I had supplied.

She then said that the bank required that I indicate the charges on statements and not just list them, as in the spreadsheet.

She said that this was to be policy 'from now on'.

WTF???? Has anyone else had this tried on or is it just for my benefit?

Where is this leading?

I would not entertain them. Just stick to the tried and trusted method. You have highlighted the charges to them.If they choose not to accept the information you have supplied what are they going to do not payout? I dont think so. I would call them back and explain to them that they have all the information they require to identify the charges tell them that if it helps you will give them your account number!! Also inform them that you will take a dim view of any further stalling tactics which the bank are adopting and report them accordingly.

Told 'em 'HELL NO!' and they said they would see what they could do....

Just as an aside, I can't see anywhere where it says if the various deadlines (i.e 14 days from prelim to LBA, 14 days from LBA to Moneyclaim, etc.) are working days or actual days...

Can anyone enlighten me?

I did it as actual days on both of my actions, go with that and hit them hard...

HSBC £3829.00 Prelim letter sent 17/7/06 :wink:

£1996.00 Offered 9/8/06 :rolleyes: .. See you in Court!

MCOL Filed 15/08/06 :)

DG response asking for info 8/9/06

RBOS S.A.R - (Subject Access Request) sent 12/07/06 :cool:

Prelim letter sent 29/8/06 £2552 requested!!!

Told 'em 'HELL NO!' and they said they would see what they could do....

Just as an aside, I can't see anywhere where it says if the various deadlines (i.e 14 days from prelim to LBA, 14 days from LBA to Moneyclaim, etc.) are working days or actual days...

Can anyone enlighten me?

Its actual days and not working days.

Well here's a turn-up! They only asked me for all my statements 2 days ago but today's postie brings me a special delivery!

Charges are fair....do not accept OFT findings...no industry consultation....offer of £2202 as good-will, full and final etc etc.... Bless!

Accepting offer as interim payment.

Now off with the LBA?

Hydra, If your letter is from Tommy "Big Mac" McLean, that is great news. That way, I reckon you will be offered the full amount by the end of next week...latest. Get the LBA off now. Tommy is a pleasure to deal with and very approachable on the phone, should you wish to call.

Can you smell the dosh? can you? CAN YOU???

j

1/9/06 RBS claim #1

8/11/06 - claim settled

This letter is from branch level...will that slow things up?

Money will be good, I just have to keep the wife away from word processors until I get the LBA posted - she's all for accepting.

20th November 2006

LETTER BEFORE ACTION

Dear Mrs Egan,

ACCOUNT NUMBER: xxxxxxxx sort code 16-33-20

Thank you for your letter.

I respectfully decline your offer of settlement and request, once again, that you return to me all charges imposed on this account.

I accept your offer of £2202 as an interim payment toward the total sum of MY money taken from the above account, as penalties, by yourselves and on the clear understanding that I will pursue recovery of the remainder with a County Court claim if necessary, whereupon interest charges of 8% from the date of the offence will be added.

I appreciate your position regarding the OFT ruling but the fact is that banks ARE overcharging and this has been upheld by countless rulings by The County Court.

My position, however, remains unchanged - I now understand that the regime of fees which you have been applying to my account in relation to direct debit refusals, exceeding overdraft limits and so forth are unlawful at Common Law, Statute and recent consumer regulations.

I would again draw your attention to the terms of the contract which you agreed to at the time that I opened my account. It is an implied term of that contract that you would conduct yourselves lawfully and in a manner which complies with UK law.

It is shocking that you have operated my account in this way as I had always reposed confidence in your integrity and expertise as my fiduciary.

I consider that your repeated representations that your charges are fair and reasonable are deceptive and that they have deceived me into agreeing to pay them.

Your concealment of the true nature of your charges has prevented me from asserting my right until now.

I have re-calculated charges to include those imposed this month and the total now stands at £8261. I am enclosing an updated copy of the schedule of the charges which I am claiming. I require repayment in full of this money.

If you do not comply fully within 14 days then I shall begin a claim against you for the full amount plus interest plus my costs and without further notice.

Yours sincerely,

BOMBS AWAAAAAAY!

My original claim was for £8171, they offered £2202 as full and final settlement/good-will/fob-off.

It's gone up to £8261 now because they hit me with another £90 in referral charges on the 8th....