• Tweets

• The move marks the first time the country's central bank has raised interest rates for 17 years.View the full article
    • The firm has benefited from the AI boom, making it the third-most valuable company in the US.View the full article
    • Former billionaire Hui Ka Yan has been fined and banned from the financial market for life.View the full article
    • In terms of "why didn't I make a claim" - well, that has to be understood in the context of the long-standing legal battle and all its permuations with the shark. In essence there was a repo and probable fire sale of the leasehold property - which would have led to me initiating the complaint/ claim v SPF in summer 19. But there was no quick sale. And battle commenced and it ain't done yet 5y later. A potential sale morphed into trying to do a debt deal and then into a full blown battle heading to trial - based on the shark deliberately racking up costs just so the ceo can keep the property for himself.  Along the way they have launched claims in 4 different counties -v- me - trying to get a backdoor B. (Haven't yet succeeded) Simultaneously I got dragged into a contentious forfeiture claim and then into a lease extension debacle - both of which lasted 3y. (I have an association with the freeholders and handled all that legal stuff too) I had some (friend paid for) legal support to begin with.  But mostly I have handled every thing alone.  The sheer weight of all the different cases has been pretty overwhelming. And tedious.  I'm battling an aggressive financial shark that has investors giving them 00s of millions. They've employed teams of expensive lawyers and barristers. And also got juniors doing the boring menial tasks. And, of course, in text book style they've delayed issues on purpose and then sent 000's of docs to read at the 11th hour. Which I not only boringly did read,  but also simultaneously filed for ease of reference later - which has come in very handy in speeding up collating legal bundles and being able to find evidence quickly.  It's also how I found out the damning stuff I could use -v- them.  Bottom line - I haven't really had a moment to breath for 5y. I've had to write a statement recently. And asked a clinic for advice. One of the volunteers asked how I got into this situation.  Which prompted me to say it all started when I got bad advice from a broker. Which kick-started me in to thinking I really should look into making some kind of formal complaint -v- the broker.  Which is where I am now.  Extenuating circumstances as to why I'm complaining so late.  But hopefully still in time ??  
    • At a key lecture in the City of London, the shadow chancellor will also vow to reform the Treasury.View the full article
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 160 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

gargoil V Bank Of Scotland

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6119 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Have just started claims against Smile and Capital One, my next target is the Bank Of Scotland who have been a thorn in my side for a good few years. Have taken in all the information on the site but still have one question before I can initiate my plan of action against them. I have had (past tense) 3 accounts with BOS, 2 at one branch, 1 at another. I am just wondering when I send my DPA notice to them can they ask for £10 to provide statements for each account,ie £30 or should one payment of £10 cover all of them? I am not sending the letter to the branch but to the suggested address in Rosyth! Thanks in advance for any help! :)

BOS

Claim No.3 for £589.75+8%, Decree received, Sheriffs Officers instructed to serve a charge 21/4!

Claim No.4:- claiming £1507.00, Court Papers submitted 5/4 !

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi gargoil, one £10 payment for all 3 accounts, just list them in the one letter.

BOS Prelim : 19/06/06 Owed : £382: offered £90.LBA sent 02/07/06, Delivered: 04/07/06. Offer increased to full £382 but with condition. Settled 4/11/06.

Data Protection Act sent to BOS CC : 19/06/06. Acknowledged : 03/07/06 Statements Received : 11/07/06 owed £845

Statements received for closed BOS account: 27/07/06, Owed £2596.52

First claim on closed BOS account now started - £735 Prelim received 7/11/06 LBA sent 5/12/06, Offered Full £735 but with conditions. Claim filed 22/01/07

CapitalOne-£1247, settled in full.

LloydsTSB- £910, sttled in full.

LET BATTLE COMMENCE

Thanks forthe reply,DPA notice now sent and as your sig says "Let battle Commence!":D

BOS

Claim No.3 for £589.75+8%, Decree received, Sheriffs Officers instructed to serve a charge 21/4!

• 3 weeks later...

Received a letter through today(halfway through the 40day period) saying that they cannot process my request for one of my accounts as they require more information on the account in question. They want info such as sort code, roll number,type off account and date closed. Definate delaying tactic as how hard can it be too put my name,address and account number into their computer to find these details? Why do I need to supply them? QAnd if they can't get th edetails how do they even kno th eaccount is closed as I didn't inform them of this. The letter does however state that I'll receive the data within the 40 day deadline I set out for them so at least I have that in writing from "them". Bunch of bar stewards!!! It is addressed Dear Sir / Madam so looks like a standard letter, and is signed...

Nicola Inett

Data Protection Consultant

Business Risk - Retail

"Business Risk" is this perhaps a team BOS have to deal with things like that. Yes I am a threat.

Address on letter for people sending Data Protection Act to BOS is.....

HBOS

Trinity Road

Halifax

HX1 2RG

BOS

Received statements for 2000-2004 today, about the size of the yellow pages, assume the rest will arrive soon. Thats 20days after sending the Data Protection Act. Gonna take me ages to total up but on adding up 1 year on 1 account I am at over £450 already so I'm expecting this to run to a good few grand!

BOS

Received rest of statements to present day for 2 of the accounts a rough totalling gives about £2900-£3000. Going to spend tonight compiling spreadsheet and then hand deliver them down to my local BOS tomorrow afterwork!! :D

BOS

My guesstimate was a bit on the low side, turns out I shall be claiming for £3290. So I hand delivered my prelim letter today to my local branch, it was all very polite and friendly and I got a receipt no problems. A lot nicer than the hassles of the RBOS yesterday (see my RBOS thread!) But just because the BOS are being nice doesn't mean I'll play nice!! :D

BOS

good for you, good luck

T

I will not be held liable for any advice/comments given... if in any doubt please consult professional advice.

HBOS Acc1 - Small Claim Filed 31/07/06 - WON -21/8/06 - MCOL -06/09/06 - WON 13/09/06

HBOS acc2 -Small Claim Filed 02/08/06 - WON 13/09/06 - Round 2 Prelim Letter sent 14/09.06 - LBA sent 27/09/06 - MCOL 16/10/06

HBOS acc3 Prelim Letter sent 14/09/06 - LBA sent 27/09/06 - MCOL 16/10/06

Received acknowledgement this morning and a copy of their "compaints" booklet which was useful as I'm low on toilet paper!! :D

BOS

I tend to find them a bit on the 'shiny' side for that unfortunately...

Ahem, sorry - pretty standard stuff so far, stick to your timetable & your refund will come!

Good luck

** I AM NOT A LAWYER, PLEASE CONSULT A QUALIFIED PROFESSIONAL IF YOU ARE IN ANY DOUBT **

I have successfully claimed against: "MBNA, Capital One, Bank of Scotland & Clydesdale Bank"

The Consumer Action Group is a Self-Help website, Moderators & Site Helpers offer advice on a voluntary basis. Please spend time reading the FAQ's, and other cases relating to your bank before starting your own claim

• 2 weeks later...

LBA on the way to the BOS today! Had a wee panic as my printer wasn't working but a few hits wi a hammer and its hunky dory again!! :)

BOS

Not long to court time now. I am wondering one thing though. I understand in Scotland it is best to break it down into £750 sections and do one claim at a time. However as I am claiming for 2 different accounts can I claim for £750 for each of them in tandem or do I have to still do them at different times?

BOS

Was just on the telephone to a very helpful young man from Bank Of Scotland. I'm going to make a claim for 3 accounts and am at court papers stage in a few days for 2 of these accounts. The third account i never received any info when the DPA SAR was sent. Was busy with other claims so didn't chase it up as I don't think they'll be many charges going through this account!Decided to chase it up now so telephoned BOS customer relations this morning. I got put through to the "team" dealing with this and the guy I got was pretty mush th emost helpful person I've ever spoke to at a bank. This account is a bit more complicated than the others as it was a joint account between myself and an ex-partner till late 2005 and is now souly controlled by my expartner. The guy said he would take on my case personally and get all the correct paperwork straight out to me. I asked him if they were bogged down with these requests and he says they are inundated with them. He said cases like mine where I haven't received all the info within the 40 days are being made a priority which is causing newer requests to take longer and longer to get the statements out to people. So I apologise to people who are just sending out the DPA this now for holding you guys up. At least it sounds as if th eBOS staff are getting some OT out of this anyway!! :D

BOS

PS LBA time ends on tuesday (hoping they don't pay as the 8% interest I can then add on adds up to £1500) and will be putting court papers out a week today!! :D

BOS

Am on the phone to BOS! They have "LOST" one of my accounts, which should still be open with a negative balance of approx £600-£700. I got the copy statements through and am at the end of the LBA 14 days. Was phoning for balance but account has "disappeared" off the system. Lady on the phone has spoken to several "departments" but it has went missing! Oh dear!! I fear this could lead to delays and problems come small claim court time!!

BOS

Erm ,apparently they've said that they've recently "wrote off" the £700 debt on this account!! No idea why? They don't have any idea why either but they are sending me a letter to confirm this is the case. I was claiming £1800 +8% interest on this account, so that would have paid off the £700 and left me with £1100 but now I think the £1800 will be going straight into my pocket! :D :D :D

BOS

probably best to send initial correspondence to your branch. It will get to where ever it should be going that way.

RBOS: Fob off letter recieved 28th June.

LBA for £2,690 & LBA for £3,240 sent 1st July. Replt to LBA'S recieved 14/7/06......fob off again!!! watch this space

:lol: MCOL submitted 19/07/06 :cool:

im just starting my claim with bos and i was going to send it to my branch but everyone seems to be sending it to other places whats the best one to send it to?

I took great joy in hand delivering my prelim letter to branch. I sent DPA and LBA to Cistomer Relations in Rosyth. Th efull address is in the BOS contact details sticky thread!! :)

BOS

Ok LBA deadline was today and I have a letter from Elaine Brown, Customer Relations Manager.

"Dear gargoil

account numbers:-XXXXXXX&XXXXXXXX

Further to your letter of 18th July 2006 (my LBA!). I'm sorry that you have not yet had a full response to your concerns.

It has been necessary to order copy statements from another department for account no XXXXXX as it is closed. We should receive these within th enext day or two.

We're investigating your complaint, and you will receive a response from us as soon as possible, but certainly no later than 18th September 2006.

Our complaints leaflet which we sent to you previously, explains how we will handle your complaint.

Your sincerely

Elaine Brown"

So its off to court we go on friday morning to hand in papers for BOS (Already going to hand in RBOS papers at the same time.) have them all printed out and ready to go! Just wondering if it worth me emailing Elaine Brown and saying that I am now going ahead with court action, or should I just not bother and proceed with the action.

gargoil

BOS

Sent an email through to customer relations FAO Elaine Brown,

"YOUR REFERENCE XXXXXXXXXX

Account numbers:- XXXXXXXX,XXXXXXXX

In reply to your letter dated 14th August 2006, the 28 days which I allowed you to comply with the request for the refund of penalty charges applied to the above named accounts expires today (15th) at 5pm. AS THESE PENALTY CHARGES WERE APPLIED TO MY ACCOUNT UNLAWFULLY I SHALL NOW COMMENCE WITH A CLAIM THROUGH MY LOCAL SHERIFF COURT ON FRIDAY 18TH AUGUST. I shall now be claiming not only for the refund of the penalty charges, totalling £3290 but also 8% interest, court fees, Data protection subject access fee, and reasonable costs to myself to bring this action to court.

Best Regards

gargoil."

BOS

Now received a letter through this morning offering me £500 along with an acceptance form to sign away my rights to any further claim. So I phoned them up and said politely "Thanks but no thanks, I am proceeding with court claim tomorrow and you will now be liable for interest and costs!" So I guess it's court time tomorrow. For once I wished I lived in Engerland so I could claim it all at once rather than having to break it down into £750 chunks and put in several claims. Feel as if I am getting somewhere now though!! :D

BOS

They are obviously struggling to deal with all these claims! I have just noticed the letter says...

"We reserve the right to close your account!"

Oh please don't close my account that has been closed for 2 years!!!!!!!! :D

BOS