style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3717 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hello there, after getting great advice on my first question I posted here, I thought I'd see what advice I can get with this issue I'm having!

I've been renting an apartment for 6 months and the tenancy is due to be renewed at the end of this month, I thought I would just have to phone them up to say I would like to stay another 6 months, but they said I have to come in, and then pay them £99 for mine and the landlords "security"...

Is this the letting agency trying to claw more agency fees? If so, is there anything I can say to not have to pay?

Thanks a lot in advance

I presume there is a deposit already held in an appropriate system?

I do not understand the requirement for a further payment as a 'security' a small charge maybe ok for rewriting the tenancy agreement but imo £99.00 is excessive.

Personally I would demand a full explanation as to what this charge actually is.

Any Letters I Draft are N0T approved by CAG and no personal liability is accepted.

Please Consider making a donation to keep this site running!

Nemo Mortalium Omnibus Horis Sapit: Animo et Fide:

Personally I wouldn't go in and sign anything, I'd just ignore them!

At the expiry of your initial 6 month tenancy, your tenancy will turn a periodic ('rolling') tenancy, which continues until either you or your landlord make steps to stop it (you by offering 1 month notice, landlord by more complicated means!). You are not obliged to agree a new fixed term contract.

Just ignore them. Sounds like the agents are trying to make a quick buck, so to speak.

Any advice i give is my own and is based solely on personal experience. If in any doubt about a situation , please contact a certified legal representative or debt counsellor..

If my advice helps you, click the star icon at the bottom of my post and feel free to say thanks

:D

I presume there is a deposit already held in an appropriate system?

I do not understand the requirement for a further payment as a 'security' a small charge maybe ok for rewriting the tenancy agreement but imo £99.00 is excessive.

Personally I would demand a full explanation as to what this charge actually is.

Yeah, when I signed up for the tenancy I had to pay 1 months rent in full as a deposit, I'll phone them up asking for an explanation and get back to you.

You want that explanation in writing, so they cant try and say they never said anything.

Any advice i give is my own and is based solely on personal experience. If in any doubt about a situation , please contact a certified legal representative or debt counsellor..

If my advice helps you, click the star icon at the bottom of my post and feel free to say thanks

:D

I've just sent them an email:

-----------------------

Hi,

I'm a tenant at *** and spoke to *** on the phone the other day.

She said something about a £99 fee for both mine and the landlords security, which I must pay when renewing my tenancy.

Can you please detail in full what this fee is for?

Regards,

-----------------------

Will let you know their reply.

They never replied, so I phoned them today asking about the "security fee", he said that whoever I spoke to the other day was wrong, it's not a security fee it is an agency fee for the paperwork they have to do.

Any advice on a next move?

So, they finally replied to my email with the below:

Hello ****,

Apologies for the delay I have been out of the office since Saturday.

Yes you are correct, but only if both parties agree, meaning you as the tenant and your landlord. A majority of landlords would request new contracts in place as this guarantees them income on the properties that they let out. Your landlord normally insists on fix term contracts for exactly that reason, however, I will approach your landlord and see if she will, on this occasion, be happy with you moving onto a periodic term (meaning no fixed term).

Leave it with me and I’ll get back to you as soon as I have an answer.

Regards

Do you think they'll actually ask her? Or claim they have and then try to push for the charges again?

They have no choice it automatically rolls over into a periodic tenancy; however LL can give two months for repossession.

Make sure your deposit has been protected, they should give you details of who its with and reference no. no protection then any notice is invalid.