I need to leave my partner but have no idea if i would get benefits?

dearyme70
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4413 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi

I am looking for some advice (and hope I am in the right place!!)

My long term partner and I need to separate but our situation is very complicated and I really don't know where to start!

We own a house together (2 bed terrace) with basically no equity. He however owns several other properties only in his name.

We have 3 children together aged 1, 9 and 14.

There is no advantage in me waiting for our house to sell because I would not be able to get another mortgage and there would be no money left once the mortgage and other fees are paid.

I work but only earn 10k pa so currently am entitled to working tax credits and child tax credits but nothing else.

Can anybody tell me if I were to leave and find somewhere for me and the kids to rent if I would be entitled to any support?

I really don't want to move too far away because of the children and there aren't any council houses around here so think I would have to rent privately and I'm not sure if DSS would even consider this?

Any help would be great I really don't know which way to turn but cannot keep living like this it's not doing any of us any good.

Many thanks

Dearyme

hi Dearyme,

sorry you find youself in this position

but before anyone can give some advice to what you may or not be entitled to

just a few questions need to be answered :)

do you intend to carry on working?

how many hours do you work each week?

would your partner move out of the house you own jointly?

do you have an interest in any of the other properties ?

Hi Mikey

I currently work between 35-40 hours a week and hope to be able to continue working but my partner and I work together so it may not be easy!!!

I am going to have to leave our home as my partner refuses to do so (he thinks we can carry on as we are!)

I don't have my name on any of his other properties (just the one we live in with no equity)

Thanks for your time

dearyme

One other question that could be relevant. The way I read the post, the children would live with you after you separated. Is this the case?

Edit - Sorry, ignore this - I didn't read your OP closely enough. My bad.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING. EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

The idea that all politicians lie is music to the ears of the most egregious liars.

Ok, I thought maybe if you had to cease work then as a lone parent you could have claimed Income Support, and not having an interest in the other properites meant you should have been ok to claim,

You can claim WTC, If you claim this now you would need to call HMRC and tell them the change, if you dont claim http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/taxcredits/payments-entitlement/entitlement/question-how-much.htm

you may be able to get HB based on your Income

http://local.direct.gov.uk/LDGRedirect/index.jsp?LGSL=69&LGIL=0&ServiceName=Check+your+eligibility+for+Housing+Benefit+with+your+local+council

I dont think they will think you have made your self homeless if you split up and he will not leave the property,

but because you dont live in it the house it will be classed as capital because you have an interest in it, so they will look at this,

he may have to move out in the end anyway......

Thanks Mikey

Do you mean they would insist on our joint property being sold?

Would I be able to move out before it is sold?

Another option I have considered is asking to have my name taken off of the property. Not normally a good move I know but as there is no capital in it I wondered if it would be the quickest solution?

I just need to get out as soon as possible!

Thanks again

Dearyme

If you have an interest in the property you live in now and you had to leave work then IS would look at disregarding any interest you have in the property for a while usually 26 weeks and after that time you would technically be expected to have taken steps to selling your share of the home either by selling your half to your ex-partner of by selling/putting the house on the market.

You may not be eligible for help with Social housing due to you interest in your current home so it would be private rent and will be up to the local authority how they treat your current home.

If you continue to work (over 16 hours per week) then you would not have any entitlement to IS and it would be your tax credit award and wages with possible help towards your rent.

If you were to claim an Income Based Benefit in the future for example I.S then as you have a jointly owned property then after a disregard of 26 weeks they would expect your ex partner to take steps to sell it, as it is classed as capital,

but there is nil value so they may disregard it further

but thats up to a Decision Maker....

You would not have to sell your property before you moved out, he is refusing to go so you have to but

speak to Shelter they may be able to advise you as well http://www.shelter.org.uk/

and check out the HB calculator as well

Before you do anything I think it may be wise to seek the advice of a solictor about the property.

They can and will give you the best advice.

IS is £67.50 per week, you would get CTC for your children and CHB..

You would get full HB if entitled,

Edited by MIKEY DABODEE

you can give it up, but seek advice first

you would have to see a solicitor to do this anyway

if you do give up your interest in the property keep all the paperwork for it, to include mortgage statements showing the negative equity at time of transfer.

you may need them in the future :)

Edited by MIKEY DABODEE

This going back quite a few years ago now, like 10 yrs, but my sis in law did leave the marital home & privately rent & claim housing benefit. Not sure if the fact her & her ex had a house affected that housing benefit, but she claimed IS, so that may have made a difference.

She went on to get a council flat, her ex still lived in the marital home, he eventually bought her out, but not before she got the council flat! No idea how it all came about, but was certainly possible back then.

Dearyme, I would take legal advice asap wrt the house and whether to take your name off it. Don't forget the new benefit cap coming in includes HB though, by the time you have paid private rent and with 3 children, if you aren't working, that will almost certainly affect you. Private rents are so high :/

Might be worth getting your name on the housing waiting list too. Our waiting list is around 8 years but might be worth being on it. Of course secure tenancies are ending too so even if you get social housing you may have to move and downsize each time a bedroom becomes free so you will lose any feeling of choice and autonomy, any feeling of security and the end result is you will have nowhere for the grandchildren to come and stay so that luxury will only be for non-social housing tenants and home owners so you might chose to give social housing a miss anyway.