Stranger using my address to run up debts, register car etc...HELP!

Fraktion
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4956 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

My apologies if this has been asked 100 times before...i have searched...

I rent a house to 2 people i work with. For a long time, letters have been coming to my address to someone that doesnt live here. I put it down to the last owner of the house having some 'stragglers'...until i opened one. It was for a new bank account, containing a credit card. I left the open letter on the coffee table. The next day, there was a note left saying "Guys, please don't open any more letters addressed to ......, as they are for me" Alarm bells rang. I quizzed my female housemate as to why someone is opening an account to my address, to which she replied "it's ok, it's just the one account, i wanted to get an iphone". Stupidly, i didn't persue it. From then on, any letters addressed to this guy that came, i opened. Each one was from a bank saying "You have reached your credit limit of £2000, please pay us our money".

I now have 12 different debt collection notices from different people.

I phoned the banks fraud teams, stated that person has never lived at my address, and how the hell were they able to open an account? I thought you had to have proof of address? They couldn't give me a straight answer.

I went to the police, who flatly told me "sorry sir, we no longer deal with fraud, please call this number..."

I called the fraud advice line who said "sorry sir, as it's not in your name specifically, then no crime has been comitted so really we cant do anything"

Next thing, i'm getting letters from the DVLA, and tax discs for this guys car.

Is there anything i can do? I dont want to be answering the door to a different set of bayliffs every week? The thing is, the guy has tried to redirect the mail from my house, it shows the address he's currently living at and i have the registration of his car. I have letters that show he's run up at least £20K of debt and isnt paying it, and nobody seems bothered at all!

He's the boyfriend of one of my tenents mother. How should i proceed?

Contact Equifax and Experian (and the other credit reference agency which I cannot remember the name for) and inform them that there is no financial link between you and these people.

You might as well inform them that they do not live at that address, although I don't know if they would take any notice.

Pass on any known addresses to any debt collectors / bailiffs that come round. Return any mail with / or without the new address included.

Otherwise ignore the letters - As long as your credit record is unaffected, I'm pretty sure that it's not much more than an annoyance.