Debit /Credit card authorisation codes

Jim Beard
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 1849 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Just a thought but evey transaction that is passed at the retail end has an authorisation code.

If a transaction is authorised, how can you then be penalised when they have allowed it. The banks know to the nanosecond when you make a credit purchase but deem to ignore it so they can then penalise you.

Entrapment?? Or am I losing the plot?

Not every transaction is authorised there and then (apart from Solo and Electron cards)

Shops have a 'floor limit' a good example would be £10. All transactions below this are authorised automatically by the shop (apart from a few which may be randomly checked).

That seems a good point though.If you could prove that they "manually intervened" and then allowed you to go overdrawn,then you might have a good case against them.No idea how you would prove it though.

• 7 months later...
Guest HUSBANDKHAN

If You Have £2 Available You Can Fill Up Upto £60 Worth Of Fuel From A Tesco Self Service Pump. Over A Week End You Can Do This 3 Times As The First Debit Will Come Through 3 Days After You Bought The Fuel. This Does Not Work At A Counter Though !!!!

Guest HUSBANDKHAN

no what i am saying is how can £60 be authorised when you only have £2 in your account ? it seems either the bank or either the retailers are using a manual trick which the general public do not know about.

Guest HUSBANDKHAN

similar thing with enterprise hire i booked a people carrier for 2 days. they took the deposit and also refunded the deposit in the same transaction despite no money being available in my account. i did this on a saturday and on the wednesday they credited the £150 deposit and then debited the rent from it which was £169.99. how can this have happened ? normally if you use a debit card the debit is held by your bank and then debited ot taken of the account when the processing bank asks for the money. i belive that there was a manual intervention by either enterprise or lloyds and again something has happened to which the general public have no knowledge of

• 12 years later...

This topic was closed on 03/06/19.

If you have a problem which is similar to the issues raised in this topic, then please start a new thread and you will get help and support there.

If you would like to post up some information which is relevant to this particular topic then please flag the issue up to the site team and the thread will be reopened.

- Consumer Action Group

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 1849 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks