Haven't been paid outstanding wages

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4978 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hello all,

I resigned two weeks ago (amicably, in good fashion and with my employer not wanting me to work out any notice). I'm owed around 2500-3000 pounds for around 7 weeks work - I should have been paid the day before I resigned - however, I wasn't. During my resignation interview, my boss said my payslip was on its way and I'd be paid in a few days - all good I thought, shook hands and I left happy. However, alarm bells started ringing late last week, when I began chasing up my wages - my employer stated he was going to pay me by cheque (should have been BACS usually) and that it was being sent out that day. This cheque never arrived, and I'm finding it increasingly difficult to communicate with my ex-boss, either via phone or email - I think all my calls are being vetted.

I'm beginning to worry a little now, I hadn't been at the company long - and it was a small company, so I was yet to sign any formal contract of employment. What would you recommend I do in my situation?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Hello and welcome to CAG, sorry to hear about your problems. How long did you work there please?

If money is not forthcoming, your ultimate move could be the small claims court or another court. But hopefully other caggers will have suggestions on how to handle this without getting that far. Have you contacted your ex-employer since you left and do you have anything in writing?

HB

Illegitimi non carborundum

Hello and welcome to CAG, sorry to hear about your problems. How long did you work there please?

If money is not forthcoming, your ultimate move could be the small claims court or another court. But hopefully other caggers will have suggestions on how to handle this without getting that far. Have you contacted your ex-employer since you left and do you have anything in writing?

HB

Sorry my post wasn't very clear - I was only there for 7 weeks. I've nothing in writing from the employer, other than my offer of employment letter, and my email correspondence with my boss since leaving.

Yes, I have been in contact, we've exchanged a few emails - but he's no longer replying...

Thanks

I'm sorry, I don't know the answer to that. If you don't get any replies, or while you're waiting, you could read the directgov and ACAS websites on this. ACAS also have a confidential helpline, number on their website and you could ring them for advice. I forget how late they are there, or you could try at 8am tomorrow.

HB

You need to send a letter to your former employer, outlining the money you are owed and stating that the payment is overdue. State a date that you expect to receive payment by, and that you will take all necessary legal action to recover the money.

Headline the letter Letter Before Action and send it by recorded delivery.

You need to send a letter to your former employer, outlining the money you are owed and stating that the payment is overdue. State a date that you expect to receive payment by, and that you will take all necessary legal action to recover the money.

Headline the letter Letter Before Action and send it by recorded delivery.

A few questions.

1. If he didnt sign a contract letter and was just verbal, he cant make any claim. As there was NEVER A FORMAL Agreement ???

2. If he sent an email, is that not as good as a formal letter ?

Please correct me if am wrong

A few questions.

1. If he didnt sign a contract letter and was just verbal, he cant make any claim. As there was NEVER A FORMAL Agreement ???

I meant that you would be claiming against him for non-payment. Is that what you are asking here?

I would have said that was good evidence, yes.

I think I'm right in saying that if you have no written contract, then standard terms are assumed to apply. You should be able to find more on that on the directgov website. Also consider the CAB and ACAS if you think you need someone to talk to. Or we'll do our best.

I hope that helps.

HB

A few questions.

1. Nah, a contract was implied as soon as they shook hands and agreed he'd do the job. He doesn't need anything in writing for a contract to exist.

2. For legal purposes, a good old snailmail letter is still best.