• Tweets

• Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Sale of goods act, etc

Guest yourbestfriend
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5989 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Guest yourbestfriend

Ok i have gone to the DTI and citizens advice bureau and here is what THEY say about the sale of goods act.

In first 6 months it is the retailers/manufacturers agents who has to prove that a fault with a product they sold was not caused by them/manufacturing process.. if infact is un-deniable that its a manufactural fault then they should offer a repair or replacement.

After the 6 months and upto 6 years (5 years scotland) the onus is on the consumer to prove it was not themselves or their use that caused the fault. If it is proved to by be unfit for purpose due to manufacturing process then the retailer/manufacturers agent has to arrange a repair/replacement.

The retailer/manufacturers agent can get issues sorted within reasonable time. This is not stated in the SOGA but retailers have their own policies. Some can take upto 3 months, some like PCworld have a 28day in the first year and 42 day after first year.

Also this does not mean that everything you buy, a tin of beans, PC or beer is suppose to last 6 years. You mayhave purchased a tin of beans but it is only acceptable to claim withing the 'Use By date' on the tin if unsatisfied. With PC's this does NOT mean you have a claim because it doesn't play the top graphics game in 6 years time because at purchase you asked it to play top games. If it cannot handle the software designed and sold at the time of purchase then you MIGHT have a claim.

Most retailers have special agreements with manufacturers where the retailers become "manufacturer agents" HP and Lexmark have this agreement with PCWorld where the manufactuer prefers to deal with consumers for repairs and exchanges directly. By being manufactuer agents the onus on repair or replacement falls back to the manufacturer not the retailer.

Retailers also have the right to use external repairers to get items fixed or repaired if it is in benefit of the consumer. So where PCWorld have asked consumers to phone the manufacturer it is because in-store it could take upto 28days to sort out the issue, but by using the manufacturer direct the consumer can get the issue sorted faster.

Ofcourse the consumer is within their right to refuse this option and leave it with the retailer to deal with. but that could take longer

Pretty much what we all say about it then :)

One thing to note is that it is generally preferable to go via the retailer and not choose to go to the manufacturer yourself, as you could actually lose your SoGA rights if you pursue the matter under a manufacturer's warranty. If you were to do so on the advice of the retailer, you could obviously argue that you were acting in accordance with their advice - but always get this confirmed in writing in case of any future disputes.

Basically rights under the SoGA depreciate over time, and it does not cover faults which are attributable to normal wear and tear or something that the consumer has done to the product. I would also add that consumers cannot generally have betterment, i.e. a brand new replacement after a couple of years use of the old one.

Goods purchased under Hire Purchase agreements are not covered by the Sale of Goods Act, there is different legislation for this and you do not have a contract with the retailer, but the finance company.

Please note I'm not insured in this capacity, so if you need to, do get official legal advice.

• 8 months later...

I bought a Topfield TF5800 STB about 18 months ago from Heathrow Systems (subsiduary of Turbosat). There is no mention on the box, in the manual or on the receipt that at time of purchase it was only 1 year warranty. However, they say that in February this year it was changed to 2 years. It appears that one of the tuners has failed. Would it be possible to insist on a repair as at the moment they are denying responsibility? :-x After all by extending the manufacturers warranty period for an identical product the manufacturers are acknowledging that the product should last for at least 2 years and there is no mention in any of the documents in my possession of it being only 1 year at the date of purchase. This was bought brand new and I still have the box and all documentation.

Any help would be appreciated.

rosie please research acts and laws more.

i have repeatedly told you, even copied and pasted from both manufacturers websites and from consumers advice websites where it states manufacturers guarantee's do not affect consumers rights.

this includes SOGA.

no money is handed over between manufacturer and consumer so no new contract is created. the original contract continues.

i would highly advise researching into manufacturers legislations, etc before stating that they affect consumers rights.

do not presume things.

my advice is that consumers have upto six years to claim a repair, replacement or recission. BUT worse case scenario to honour those rights may involve a court case for the judge to decide the best route for remedy.

retailers on the whole have processes which do not require the courts to get involved. ontop of that the consumer can use guarantees if it will take a retailer 4 weeks to repair and a manufacturer guarantee service can do it in two weeks.

i would suggest offering consumers on this website all the options, all the facts. and let them decide if they want to call the retailers engineers themselves, go to the retailers store. write to the retailer or use a guarantee.

do not presume retailers such as large retail chains like pcworld have the consumers at the top of their agenda. retail chains care about profits. so they would not want to waste too much profit for a speedy repair if their is another option which still gets it repaired but within a acceptable longer time.

again give consumers all options. all choices. dont limit them to your own narrow minded, one sided research.

Ok i have gone to the DTI and citizens advice bureau and here is what THEY say about the sale of goods act.

In first 6 months it is the retailers/manufacturers agents who has to prove that a fault with a product they sold was not caused by them/manufacturing process.. if infact is un-deniable that its a manufactural fault then they should offer a repair or replacement.

After the 6 months and upto 6 years (5 years scotland) the onus is on the consumer to prove it was not themselves or their use that caused the fault. If it is proved to by be unfit for purpose due to manufacturing process then the retailer/manufacturers agent has to arrange a repair/replacement.

The retailer/manufacturers agent can get issues sorted within reasonable time. This is not stated in the SOGA but retailers have their own policies. Some can take upto 3 months, some like PCworld have a 28day in the first year and 42 day after first year.

Also this does not mean that everything you buy, a tin of beans, PC or beer is suppose to last 6 years. You mayhave purchased a tin of beans but it is only acceptable to claim withing the 'Use By date' on the tin if unsatisfied. With PC's this does NOT mean you have a claim because it doesn't play the top graphics game in 6 years time because at purchase you asked it to play top games. If it cannot handle the software designed and sold at the time of purchase then you MIGHT have a claim.

Most retailers have special agreements with manufacturers where the retailers become "manufacturer agents" HP and Lexmark have this agreement with PCWorld where the manufactuer prefers to deal with consumers for repairs and exchanges directly. By being manufactuer agents the onus on repair or replacement falls back to the manufacturer not the retailer.

Retailers also have the right to use external repairers to get items fixed or repaired if it is in benefit of the consumer. So where PCWorld have asked consumers to phone the manufacturer it is because in-store it could take upto 28days to sort out the issue, but by using the manufacturer direct the consumer can get the issue sorted faster.

Ofcourse the consumer is within their right to refuse this option and leave it with the retailer to deal with. but that could take longer

NO NO NO NO NO!!!! The seller in all cases is responsible. Jees, how many times does this have to be gone through? Any remedy must be proprotionate and reasonable compared to the others, and the consumer cannot demand a refund where a repair is more suitable, for example.

It is not acceptable for a shop to tell the customer to call the manufacturer or some repairline - it is the sellers job to sort it all out. And as for reasonable time, there is no fixed figure - it is for a court to decide what is reasonable.

If I didn't know better, I would say the OP is a certain someone....

NO NO NO NO NO!!!! The seller in all cases is responsible. Jees, how many times does this have to be gone through? Any remedy must be proprotionate and reasonable compared to the others, and the consumer cannot demand a refund where a repair is more suitable, for example.

It is not acceptable for a shop to tell the customer to call the manufacturer or some repairline - it is the sellers job to sort it all out. And as for reasonable time, there is no fixed figure - it is for a court to decide what is reasonable.

If I didn't know better, I would say the OP is a certain someone....

Calm down dear. It's only a troll

(with apologies to Esure/Michael Winner)

(with apologies to Esure/Michael Winner)

I'm sure you meant for, rather than to. :p

(Whoop whoop! 100th post!)

Here to help!

Good with employment, disability and welfare/benefit questions :rolleyes:

Just ask!

yep you do not read much gyzmo.

if you fully want to use your SOGA rights then this will involve a small claims court case. taking many weeks/months to organise.

if however you wish to get the product fixed then dont waste your time talking to untrained staff.. talk to the trained departments.

yes gyzmo your going to say: the fact that they are untrained is not your problem, because you have your rights.. blah blah blah.

well think like that if you want. but untrained staff are not magically going to become trained because you say "i have rights".

"i have rights" does not do the same as "abra-cadabra". it is not a magic word that makes people trained.

retailers cant afford to train store staff to legal standard thats why they have legal departments, customer service departments. so the shops can concentrate on selling and the customer service/complaints department can do the rest.

if you say you have your rights to someone not trained to deal with your rights then they will just grunt and sniff at you.. and maybe if your lucky say "um uh um ok what did you say?".

if someone is not trained and does not know what to do then the only way to get action is demand demand demand until they cave under the pressure and just recind the contract to get rid of you. or if you have harry potters magic wand, then you can train them to honour your rights.

until then, consumers dont want to employ the services of harry potter. nor do they want to waste weeks informing the retailers HQ that they are filing a small claims case. they can simply call the manufacturer or even the retailers trained department.

consumers want results.. not arguments.

if a company is going to take weeks/months to either remedy it or be taken to small claims to get a recission, but a manufacturer can get it sorted in under a week..

i think you know what consumers would prefer..

manufacturers do not affect consumers rights.. if manufacturers do not fix the issue then the consumer can use SOGA as a backup..

stop forcing consumers to deal with untrained staff and then contact the trained customers services department/complaints department threatening small claims.. how about advice them to just contact the customer services department/complaints department first.

and dont go saying about you dont care blah blah blah.. unlike you most people want their products working so they can use it sooner.. they dont want to have to take time off to go to a small claims court to get the judgment of a recission then wait for the check to clear.. then go purchase a new product.

stop forcing consumers down a narrow avenue with only one result.. give other options. research other options. stop being narrow minded.

if thwre are fast free services that take hours or days to repair then use them. if you cant then you can always rely on your SOGA rights