Debt demand from Wescot

mahlerei
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5926 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi everyone

In 2006 I received a letter of demand from Wescot Credit Services on behalf of their clients Digibill. I made it clear to them I'd never heard of Digibill but paid the £23.98 as a gesture of good faith. I did ask them to provide details of the alleged debt but they never did.

Two weeks ago I received a fresh demand for the same amount and for the same client. Less willing to cough up this time I faxed them and indicated I would not pay unless the provided proof that I owed this debt. Their response was typically high handed - a final demand letter threatening me with court/bailiffs etc and adding £30 for 'legal fees' if I don't pay by 12 February.

I am now very angry indeed. I have an unblemished credit record and no debt problems, yet this claim comes out of the blue. Googling has revealed there is a link to Sky, who I have also written to asking for clarification. I pay my Sky subs by direct debt and have done so for 11 years. Needless to say it is up to date.

I feel I am being harassed by Wescot and I'd be grateful for any advice you could give. Thus far I have downloaded the Financial Ombudsman's complaint form, which I intend to send off on Monday. Any other strategies?

Thanks in advance.

Dan

Hi Dan,

What letter did you send these bum holes?

Send the knob splats this and see what they come back with.

Dear Sir/Madam

You have contacted me regarding the account with the above reference number, which you claim is owed by myself.

I would point out that I have no knowledge of any such debt being owed to, or have even heard of Digibill.

I am familiar with the Office of Fair Trading Debt Collection Guidance which states that it is unfair to send demands for payment to an individual when it is uncertain that they are the debtor in question.

I would also point out that the Office of Fair Trading say under the Guidance that it is unfair to pursue third parties for payment when they are not liable. In not ceasing collection activity whilst investigating a reasonably queried or disputed debt you are using deceptive/and or unfair methods.

Furthermore ignoring and/or disregarding claims that debts have been settled or are disputed and continuing to make unjustified demands for payment amounts to physical/psychological harassment.

I would ask that no further contact be made concerning the above account unless you can provide evidence as to my liability for the debt in question, for example, the last bill you have at our address.

I await your written confirmation that this matter is now closed. Otherwise I will have no option but to make a complaint to the Trading Standards department and consider informing the Office of Fair Trading of your phishing actions.

I look forward to your reply.

Yours faithfully

Print your name, DO NOT SIGN, and don`t TALK TO THESE PARASSITES ON THE PHONE! Your wasting your time and they will only intimidate and bully you.

Everything must be in writing.

Hope this helps, if so, please click my Scales, thanks.

Keep us posted.

Regards

N.P

If I have helped or made you laugh in any way in your hour of need, then please click my scales <<<<<<<<<< ;)

Hi again Dan,

Just another thought.

Why did you pay these fools if you don`t know what they are on about?

That is what they are all about, making threats to wangle money out of people, even if they don`t owe it. DO NOT MAKE ANY MORE PAYMENTS!

If you DO owe this debt, they will HAVE TO PROOVE IT.

Regards

N.P

If I have helped or made you laugh in any way in your hour of need, then please click my scales <<<<<<<<<< ;)

Hi N.P.

I Googled Digibill last time and some posters on various forums suggested it was linked to the now defunct U-Direct movie channel on Sky. I did remember watching a few movies way back in 2000 or thereabouts so I was prepared to give Wescot the benefit of the doubt.

Not any more.

Hi Dan,

I`ve never heard of the U-Direct Movie channel, but then again we have only had Sky for a couple of years.

When was the date? You put 200.

If the alleged debt is over 6 years, then it will be Statute Barred anyway.

Still, I`d make them prove the debt before I paid anything. I wouldn`t give them anything, never mind the benefit of the doubt.

Just send the half whits the letter and see what they come up with.

Regards

N.P

N.P.

Corrected my post - it was 2000 or thereabouts, so quite some time ago.

The trouble with these final demands is they appear so threatening and they appear to take no notice of reasonable requests for information.

PS: Just had an interesting - if somewhat depressing - email from the Financial Ombudsman. It reads as follows:

Thank you for your e-mail which has been received by the Financial Ombudsman Service.

Whilst the debt recovery agents may be regulated, the activity against which they are collecting the debt isn't. As a result, we would not be able to consider the complaint.

I think that you will be appropriately guided to your local council's Trading Standards Department to see if they can assist you.

Jonathan Locke

assistant manager

Hi Dan,

Yep, the FOS can help with some things but not all.

Send the letter above as soon as possible, send it Recorded Delivery or Special Delivery if money is no problem. You need to see what they come back with. Like I said, the need to prove the debt. You don`t just pay up because some idiot says `PAY ME OR I`LL KICK YOUR HEAD IN`. But, your right in that these letters are scary. That`s the point of them.

From the sounds of it the debt is Statute Barred anyway, there is a letter on here for that, but first just send the other one to see what they have.

If they come back with something we shall go on from there.

Regards

N.P

NO TELEPHONE COMMUNICATIONS, EVERYTHING IN WRITING!

• Haha 1